Confusion between "Separated" & "Legally Separated"

canmool

Aug 23, 2018
India
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
10-09-2018
Hi,

I am legally married but not divorced. Since last 6 months me and my wife are living separately. We do not have any legal separation or court order to stay away from each other.. Instead we only did a small signed agreement between 2 of us to declare our separation.

I am the only applicant and my wife is not joining me in Canada so I have selected 'Legally Separated' during express entry application and Visa application.

Does it make any difference?

EE456

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
It surely does. Legally-separated means the court had ruled on your separation. Separated is something you and your wife had chosen but you'd still be married in the eyes of the law.

hope2018

Champion Member
Mar 14, 2018
Hi,

I am legally married but not divorced. Since last 6 months me and my wife are living separately. We do not have any legal separation or court order to stay away from each other.. Instead we only did a small signed agreement between 2 of us to declare our separation.

I am the only applicant and my wife is not joining me in Canada so I have selected 'Legally Separated' during express entry application and Visa application.

How can you say it legally separated by signing amongst you two some document.

canmool

Aug 23, 2018
India
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
10-09-2018
How can you say it legally separated by signing amongst you two some document.
I agree... but thats my concern... in the visa application, under the relationship option.. there is only 'Legally Separated' & 'Divorced' but there is nothing called 'separated'

hope2018

Champion Member
Mar 14, 2018
I agree... but thats my concern... in the visa application, under the relationship option.. there is only 'Legally Separated' & 'Divorced' but there is nothing called 'separated'
Coz there isn't anything as separated only, has to be in the eyes of law. You are still married

canmool

Aug 23, 2018
India
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
10-09-2018
It surely does. Legally-separated means the court had ruled on your separation. Separated is something you and your wife had chosen but you'd still be married in the eyes of the law.
I agree... but in the visa application, under the relationship option.. there is only 'Legally Separated' & 'Divorced' but there is nothing called 'separated'

So have I done the right thing by selecting 'Legally Separated'? instead of slecting 'Married' or 'Divorced'?

EE456

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
I agree... but in the visa application, under the relationship option.. there is only 'Legally Separated' & 'Divorced' but there is nothing called 'separated'

So have I done the right thing by selecting 'Legally Separated'? instead of slecting 'Married' or 'Divorced'?
You are married, that's what you should choose. It was wrong to select "legally-separated" and that will actually prompt a request for proof (a court ruling confirming that legal separation).

canmool

Aug 23, 2018
India
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
10-09-2018
Thank you all for reply..

If I select my marital status as 'Married' but spouse not accompanying then I will have to show my wife's PCC and medical check which she will not do so as she does not want anything to do with me..

We can not divorce in court because we can not do so without living in separation for minimum 1 year.

We did not apply separation in court because that is a 4 to 6 month process so we decided to do a mutual agreement and stay separated so that we can apply divorce directly in the court in few months

I also found following pop-up window by clicking on a little help icon under the marital status field on visa application page.

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada

If I select my marital status as 'Married' but spouse not accompanying then I will have to show my wife's PCC and medical check which she will not do so as she does not want anything to do with me..

We can not divorce in court because we can not do so without living in separation for minimum 1 year.

We did not apply separation in court because that is a 4 to 6 month process so we decided to do a mutual agreement and stay separated so that we can apply divorce directly in the court in few months

I also found following pop-up window by clicking on a little help icon under the marital status field on visa application page.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/legally-separated-status-pl-advice-docs-needed.487143/

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

Hi

Ignore all of the above. In Canada, you are considered to be legally separated when you decide to live apart. There is no formal legal process to become separated. You can even still live in the same house and be legally separated.

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
Hi,

It would be better if you mention married and not accompanying wife. She will have to appear for Medical and PCC. If she agrees, you will get PR alone.

Jam8tar

Aug 30, 2017

Hi Mate, I am in the same situation, did you received any updates about the way you submitted your application. I am trying to submit my application the same manner in with you.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Could you please help me regarding this question ? Divorced or legally separated ? What is the difference ?
Divorced means you have a certificate of divorce. Legally separated means you are still married but have some sort of separation agreement or other documentation for separation, or in some jurisdictions, have been separated for a sufficient amount of time.

If you are separated, you have no divorce certificates.

Reactions: Monaabbasi

Monaabbasi

May 15, 2019
I have one more question about duration of expected study ? Actually first I took program English academic that is one year course and and future course is HR for 3 years . So I have to write only AES course end date or Ive to write HR course both date as well ? And in Same column they are asking course fee ? Shall i right current program tution fee or future course as well ??both courses tution Fee should I mention?