+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

confusion about passport application

kadjajsd

Star Member
May 3, 2020
I had my appointment late last week.I have no travel plans, so I just asked for regular processing. They told me the passport should be mailed out by Feb 4th.
do you submit your application in a folder or just the printed copy is fine?

Tom_Bill

Feb 4, 2023
ok lol can you electronic signature on passport application?
I am going through the same hoops these days. I was glad to end up on your message.
TLDR; forms don't work properly, you and your guarantor just print and sign manually.

So, I tried to have the form for new passport application electronically signed.
It is do-able to add a signature using a PDF editor software (i.e. not Adobe Acrobat), BUT you can still NOT fill the date and location of signature when you do that.

Likewise, Guarantor may be able to add a signature in the same way (but I am not even sure about that), but Guarantor will face the same issue to add location and date as I described above for the applicant.

In the end, I just filled out the maximum I could electronically, printed, signed and filled date and location manually, send it to my guarantor who did the same (all that manually).
It is more painful and surprising that it is so complex to do in 2023, especially when Citizenship Canada is actually suggesting that the new form for passport application allows to do all of that electronically.
See on this page:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/help-centre/apply.html
Application forms/Why won’t my application form let me save my information or digitally sign it?
In there, it says 'If you use an old form instead of downloading the most recent one, those features may not work as of January 6, 2023'.

What they called a new form is actually the form PPTC 153, dated on 10-2022. But even with this new form, it does not work (same problem as described above).
In the end, just filled as much as I could, printed, signed manually and asked guarantor to sign manually.

If you have a solution/know how to do it full electronic, I could use that for my wife! Thanks.

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017
I am going through the same hoops these days. I was glad to end up on your message.
TLDR; forms don't work properly, you and your guarantor just print and sign manually.

So, I tried to have the form for new passport application electronically signed.
It is do-able to add a signature using a PDF editor software (i.e. not Adobe Acrobat), BUT you can still NOT fill the date and location of signature when you do that.

Likewise, Guarantor may be able to add a signature in the same way (but I am not even sure about that), but Guarantor will face the same issue to add location and date as I described above for the applicant.

In the end, I just filled out the maximum I could electronically, printed, signed and filled date and location manually, send it to my guarantor who did the same (all that manually).
It is more painful and surprising that it is so complex to do in 2023, especially when Citizenship Canada is actually suggesting that the new form for passport application allows to do all of that electronically.
See on this page:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/help-centre/apply.html
Application forms/Why won’t my application form let me save my information or digitally sign it?
In there, it says 'If you use an old form instead of downloading the most recent one, those features may not work as of January 6, 2023'.

What they called a new form is actually the form PPTC 153, dated on 10-2022. But even with this new form, it does not work (same problem as described above).
In the end, just filled as much as I could, printed, signed manually and asked guarantor to sign manually.

If you have a solution/know how to do it full electronic, I could use that for my wife! Thanks.
assuming you are in canada you can go to any canada post office pick passport form fill all formality and deposit in person all done no need lots of complex process on line.