Confusion about Education and Work Experience

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

I'm a little confused about the relationship between Education and Work Experience for FSW, and I'm hoping someone can help me.

I have a Bachelor of Primary Education (NOC 4032 - "Elementary school and kindergarten teachers"), but it is really difficult to find work as a teacher in my area.

So I'm thinking of doing a 1 year certificate in Early Childhood Care (NOC 4214 - "Early childhood educators and assistants"). This is not a Post-Grad Certificate; it is completely separate from my Bachelor's.

Question 1: Would I get points for "Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees. One must be for a program of three or more years", or do the 2 qualifications have to be related (ie. undergrad and post-grad) ?

Question 2: If I complete work experience as an Early Childhood Educator (NOC 4214), will the work experience count, even though it is not related to my main degree ?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hi everyone,

I'm a little confused about the relationship between Education and Work Experience for FSW, and I'm hoping someone can help me.

I have a Bachelor of Primary Education (NOC 4032 - "Elementary school and kindergarten teachers"), but it is really difficult to find work as a teacher in my area.

So I'm thinking of doing a 1 year certificate in Early Childhood Care (NOC 4214 - "Early childhood educators and assistants"). This is not a Post-Grad Certificate; it is completely separate from my Bachelor's.

Question 1: Would I get points for "Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees. One must be for a program of three or more years", or do the 2 qualifications have to be related (ie. undergrad and post-grad) ?

Question 2: If I complete work experience as an Early Childhood Educator (NOC 4214), will the work experience count, even though it is not related to my main degree ?

Thank you in advance.
1. Depends on evaluation of your degrees but there is no requirement of grad and post grad degrees to be interrelated.

2. Yes .. There is no requirement of work experience to be related to your degree.

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry, follow-up question.

Does work experience count (provided you meet the requirements of the lead statement, and employment requirements) even if you have no qualification at all for it (eg. those NOCs that say that educational qualifications "may be required") ?

Specifically, for NOC 4214, if I chose to do a Certificate III in early childhood education, this would qualify me to work in childcare centres in Australia (and therefore gain work experience as an Early Childhood Education Assistant), but would not score me any points in EE (as the course is less than 1 year). Would this work experience still be valid for EE ?

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Sorry, follow-up question.

Does work experience count (provided you meet the requirements of the lead statement, and employment requirements) even if you have no qualification at all for it (eg. those NOCs that say that educational qualifications "may be required") ?

Specifically, for NOC 4214, if I chose to do a Certificate III in early childhood education, this would qualify me to work in childcare centres in Australia (and therefore gain work experience as an Early Childhood Education Assistant), but would not score me any points in EE (as the course is less than 1 year). Would this work experience still be valid for EE ?
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be...

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be...
Thanks. That was my initial thought too, but I have vague recollections of people on this forum having their work experience discounted because its NOC didn't match the NOC of their education.
Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Thanks. That was my initial thought too, but I have vague recollections of people on this forum having their work experience discounted because its NOC didn't match the NOC of their education.
Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.
I’m not sure but May be it is true for certain professions which May require additional licenses etc to practice in Canada.