+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

confusion about designation in reference letter. What should be my designation as web developer?

Mack Dash

Star Member
Aug 10, 2018
I talked to my HR cum branch manager about reference letter and she was cool enough to agree to the way I wanted it. But still there is a confusion that was created while we discussed the things to include in it. Here is the problem -

I worked as Web Developer(always) & Designer(sometimes) and I told her to mention these two as my job duties. And mention Software Engineer as my designation. She told me that she cannot mention my designation as Software Engineer as for that a person should have knowledge of Java and should also have worked on some projects of Java. I neither have much knowledge not I ever worked on this language.
So what should I mention in my designation part? Any web developer Pls.?
Or should I get mentioned my job title rather than designation? I'm too confused about this.

Here is the sample of reference letter -
Designation - software engineer

Job duties - 1. Web developer
2. Web Designer

joined on - dd/mm/yyyy
resigned - dd/mm/yyyy

Annual salary - 00000.00 INR
last salary - 00000.00 INR

vish15

Sep 5, 2018
I talked to my HR cum branch manager about reference letter and she was cool enough to agree to the way I wanted it. But still there is a confusion that was created while we discussed the things to include in it. Here is the problem -

I worked as Web Developer(always) & Designer(sometimes) and I told her to mention these two as my job duties. And mention Software Engineer as my designation. She told me that she cannot mention my designation as Software Engineer as for that a person should have knowledge of Java and should also have worked on some projects of Java. I neither have much knowledge not I ever worked on this language.
So what should I mention in my designation part? Any web developer Pls.?
Or should I get mentioned my job title rather than designation? I'm too confused about this.

Here is the sample of reference letter -
Designation - software engineer

Job duties - 1. Web developer
2. Web Designer

joined on - dd/mm/yyyy
resigned - dd/mm/yyyy

Annual salary - 00000.00 INR
last salary - 00000.00 INR
If this is for express entry then you should look out for the NOC code that you have or will put on your profile. If you are a web developer then you should apply under 2175 Web designers and developer and match your duties accordingly(this way you don't need to mention your software designation position). Checkout this link for more details on your job duties http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/Profile.aspx?val=2&val1=2175&ver=16

Mack Dash

Star Member
Aug 10, 2018
If this is for express entry then you should look out for the NOC code that you have or will put on your profile. If you are a web developer then you should apply under 2175 Web designers and developer and match your duties accordingly(this way you don't need to mention your software designation position). Checkout this link for more details on your job duties http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/Profile.aspx?val=2&val1=2175&ver=16
thnx. But should I include my Designation/job title or should I left this detail. As this detail is not required. I'm gona use Web developer for my NOC and same for my job duties and my HR said to use same i.e. Web Developer for my designation. What should I do here?

vish15

Sep 5, 2018
thnx. But should I include my Designation/job title or should I left this detail. As this detail is not required. I'm gona use Web developer for my NOC and same for my job duties and my HR said to use same i.e. Web Developer for my designation. What should I do here?
Web Developer designation is fine as long as you declare your job under NOC 2175 and to be more clear designation is a must while showing the proof of Employment history

Mack Dash

Star Member
Aug 10, 2018
Web Developer designation is fine as long as you declare your job under NOC 2175 and to be more clear designation is a must while showing the proof of Employment history
thank you. So I must include designation as well as job duties/roles and responsibilities.