+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion About CSIS Notes

Al Saudi

Jul 7, 2018
To prove that you have the right to make a request, you must provide one of the following documents: a copy of your Canadian passport or your permanent resident card, or an official document that demonstrates you are currently living in Canada (i.e. a driver's license, bill with proof of address, work/study/visitor permit, etc). Only one (1) document is required. Your Social Insurance Number (SIN) will not be accepted.

A consent form is NOT needed for a Privacy Act request if you are requesting your own information.

Thanks a lot, I really do appreciate this information

Al Saudi

Jul 7, 2018
They never actually contacted me directly to verify my right to request the notes... This was what happened for me for my requests:
1. I sent in the request through the ATIP link, and uploaded the consent form (I was requesting for my husband who is living in the USA)
2. I received an automatic e-mail confirmation after my payment was processed that my request was received
3. About 30 calendar days later, I received an e-mail containing the requested notes (CSIS is faster than CBSA; I think CSIS gets less requests)

I am a Canadian citizen and I actually never submitted proof of my citizenship in any of my ATIP requests for any of my sets of notes (IRCC, CBSA, and CSIS), even though it is listed as a required document (I forgot; it was not intentional). However, they still processed my requests without asking for this proof. However, I'm not sure if they would do the same for you if your qualifying status giving you right to request ATIP is different than mine.

Also, the first time that I made requests for CSIS and CBSA notes, I used the wrong consent forms - I used the IRCC consent form for both of them. After 1-2 weeks, I got an e-mail from a representative from each agency with a link to the correct consent form to use for them and telling me to get it filled out and e-mailed back to them. They seem like they are quite reasonable about asking for more information/proof/documents if they need it instead of just denying your request outright.

By the way, CBSA specifically notified me of some special COVID circumstances where the notes they give you in response to your request may not be complete - see this post https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/confusion-about-csis-notes.698398/post-8815047

Hope that helps!
I so appreciate this detailed breakdown g analysis. Thanks a lot. It was indeed helpful.

Reactions: StellaArtois

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
Hello there @StellaArtois

I would like to apply for a CSIS note for my father. He applied for a regular Tourist Visa, in 2017. It is still in process, and we are yet to get a decision.

Recent GCMS notes (November 2020) show, eligibility passed. CBSA note (January 2021) shows Security In progress. I would like to order CSIS notes in order to see if there's any more information on his file. The last actual update is from 2018, in the CBSA note shows, Security: Ready to be Assessed. nothing after that.

As stated in an earlier post, I have found the consent form, but a bit confused, as some wording reads vaguely to me.

CSIS CONSENT FORM
INDIVIDUAL CONSENT FORM TO DISCLOSE
PERSONAL INFORMATION TO A DESIGNATED THIRD PARTY

I hereby authorize _____________MY NAME____________________
to act on my behalf for the purposes of requests for information to the Canadian Security Intelligence Service under the Access to Information Act or Privacy Act, which includes personal information pertaining to me.

I further authorize the Canadian Security Intelligence Service to disclose to:
_____________________MY NAME________________________________
personal information pertaining to me be released through my request dated ____TODAY's DATE_______

I understand the information may be subject to the exemption in accordance with the aforementioned Acts.
This authorization is valid for two years from the date signed below.

Dated at _________HOME COUNTRY________________, This _____DATE OF SIGNATURE___________
Print name: _____________MY FATHER'S NAME________
Date of birth: _________MY FATHERS' DOB___________
Does this form OK? I am going to be the person on behalf of my father to apply for it.

Thanks in advance.

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY

I would like to apply for a CSIS note for my father. He applied for a regular Tourist Visa, in 2017. It is still in process, and we are yet to get a decision.

Recent GCMS notes (November 2020) show, eligibility passed. CBSA note (January 2021) shows Security In progress. I would like to order CSIS notes in order to see if there's any more information on his file. The last actual update is from 2018, in the CBSA note shows, Security: Ready to be Assessed. nothing after that.

As stated in an earlier post, I have found the consent form, but a bit confused, as some wording reads vaguely to me.

Does this form OK? I am going to be the person on behalf of my father to apply for it.

Thanks in advance.
This looks fine.

Also online you can use this and in place of the red text enter your name and everything else pertains to the person whose information you need.

Reactions: iamroth

StellaArtois

Aug 4, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-05-2019
AOR Received.
13-07-2019
File Transfer...
08-08-2019
Med's Request
16-07-2019
Med's Done....
23-07-2019
Passport Req..
26-10-2020
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2020
LANDED..........
06-12-2020

Thanks in advance.
Hey that form looks all right! The only thing you could potentially change is that for the "I further authorize the Canadian Security Intelligence Service to disclose to" part, you can write "N/A" instead of your name again since you already have been authorized in the first part and there isn't anyone else you want the records disclosed to. I don't think it's a big deal though if you just have your name there again.

Hope that the rest of the process goes well for you!

Reactions: iamroth

ilylcn

Mar 6, 2020
Hi. I need some help.
I am PR applicant under PNP stream. I have been waiting for 26 months and it is still shown that security not started. Could I ask for CBSA and CSIS notes and send them to IRCC to make the process continue? I passed Eligibility for 18 months ago but after that date (Oct 29,2019) my application stucks. Thanks in advance

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Hi. I need some help.
I am PR applicant under PNP stream. I have been waiting for 26 months and it is still shown that security not started. Could I ask for CBSA and CSIS notes and send them to IRCC to make the process continue? I passed Eligibility for 18 months ago but after that date (Oct 29,2019) my application stucks. Thanks in advance
Unfortunately not, it has to be initiated by IRCC and there are many people is somewhat similar situation as yours. Just have to wait. You can read more about security here https://bit.ly/3iXMnyw and for reference here is the online version of the security screening manual https://bit.ly/3mqHP5I

Reactions: ilylcn

DanyN

Nov 23, 2023
Hi all, anyone get stuck in security so long and ordereing csis notes get any help, I am going to do but wonder is it any worth?