+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion about Citizenship application

zohaib52

Apr 7, 2014
Dear All,

I am writing to seek clarification on certain matters pertaining to the Canadian citizenship application process.

Our family consists of myself, my wife, and our 4.5-year-old son. While my son has been in Canada since 2020 on a visitor visa, he has recently acquired permanent residency.

By July 2023, both my wife and I will have completed three years of residency in Canada, rendering us eligible for citizenship. However, we have several inquiries for which we would greatly appreciate your assistance:
  1. Will my son be eligible for citizenship alongside us in July 2023, even though he will not have fulfilled the three-year residency requirement?
  2. As my son is below 18 years old, we understand that we need to submit a paper application on his behalf. Is it possible for me to submit my application online while my wife files a paper application for both herself and our son, or is it mandatory for all of us to apply together as a family using a paper application?
  3. We have heard claims suggesting that online applications are processed at a faster rate than paper applications. Could you confirm whether this statement holds true?
  4. Suppose I submit a collective paper application for myself, my wife, and our son, but my wife and son need to temporarily relocate. In the event that we receive a citizenship test request, am I allowed to take the test alone and arrange for my wife's test to be scheduled for a later date when she returns to Canada, or are we obligated to undertake the test as a group?
We would greatly appreciate any information you can provide to help clarify the confusion we are currently facing. Thank you in advance for your valuable assistance.

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
Dear All,

I am writing to seek clarification on certain matters pertaining to the Canadian citizenship application process.

Our family consists of myself, my wife, and our 4.5-year-old son. While my son has been in Canada since 2020 on a visitor visa, he has recently acquired permanent residency.

By July 2023, both my wife and I will have completed three years of residency in Canada, rendering us eligible for citizenship. However, we have several inquiries for which we would greatly appreciate your assistance:
  1. Will my son be eligible for citizenship alongside us in July 2023, even though he will not have fulfilled the three-year residency requirement?
  2. As my son is below 18 years old, we understand that we need to submit a paper application on his behalf. Is it possible for me to submit my application online while my wife files a paper application for both herself and our son, or is it mandatory for all of us to apply together as a family using a paper application?
  3. We have heard claims suggesting that online applications are processed at a faster rate than paper applications. Could you confirm whether this statement holds true?
  4. Suppose I submit a collective paper application for myself, my wife, and our son, but my wife and son need to temporarily relocate. In the event that we receive a citizenship test request, am I allowed to take the test alone and arrange for my wife's test to be scheduled for a later date when she returns to Canada, or are we obligated to undertake the test as a group?
We would greatly appreciate any information you can provide to help clarify the confusion we are currently facing. Thank you in advance for your valuable assistance.
1. Each individual PR has to satisfy the residency requirement - there is no waiver - so your child will have to wait
2 and 3. You can now apply online as a family - it is at present faster than paper.
4. You can take the test outside Canada - highly recommend you don’t reschedule to avoid delays - oath alone has to be taken inside Canada

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
Just to clarify on point 3 - even minors can apply online as long as requirement is satisfied. However in your case both of you can apply and get your citizenship and then child can apply later once they complete 3 years of stay.

nsrk

Star Member
May 15, 2017
NOC Code......
Med's Done....
14-08-2017
1. Each individual PR has to satisfy the residency requirement - there is no waiver - so your child will have to wait
2 and 3. You can now apply online as a family - it is at present faster than paper.
4. You can take the test outside Canada - highly recommend you don’t reschedule to avoid delays - oath alone has to be taken inside Canada
IMO the kid doesnt need to satisfy residency requirement and can apply along with one of the parents as long as the parent satisfied residency requirement along with others.

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
IMO the kid doesnt need to satisfy residency requirement and can apply along with one of the parents as long as the parent satisfied residency requirement along with others.
Thanks for pointing it out @nsrk . I stand corrected. @zohaib52 You should be good to a family application online for all 3 of you in Jul after you are eligible!

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Dear All,

Your son will be applying for citizenship along with you and your wife he does not need to meet residency obligation of 1,095 days You must use this application for minor's application: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-canadian-citizenship-minors.html
You can apply online as family online.

zohaib52

Apr 7, 2014
Your son will be applying for citizenship along with you and your wife he does not need to meet residency obligation of 1,095 days You must use this application for minor's application: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-canadian-citizenship-minors.html
You can apply online as family online.
I would like to thank you for providing me with clarification regarding the application process. I had previously believed that for minors (below 18), a paper application was required. However, I am truly thankful for enlightening me on the possibility of applying online as a family, including the minor.
Thank you once again for your assistance.

Reactions: abbas.pasha

zohaib52

Apr 7, 2014
Thanks for pointing it out @nsrk . I stand corrected. @zohaib52 You should be good to a family application online for all 3 of you in Jul after you are eligible!
Hey there!

I really appreciate you sharing that valuable information earlier. I just wanted to double-check something with you. Is it actually possible to take the Citizenship test while being overseas? I've been looking around but couldn't find any relevant information on this. It would be really helpful if you could provide me with a link or any reference confirming that it's possible to take the test while abroad. Your assistance would be highly appreciated!

Thanks again for all your help.

zohaib52

Apr 7, 2014
Thank you so much for providing the information.

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
Hey there!

I really appreciate you sharing that valuable information earlier. I just wanted to double-check something with you. Is it actually possible to take the Citizenship test while being overseas? I've been looking around but couldn't find any relevant information on this. It would be really helpful if you could provide me with a link or any reference confirming that it's possible to take the test while abroad. Your assistance would be highly appreciated!

Thanks again for all your help.
Here is the official Q and A for this question

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1571&top=5#:~:text=Yes, you can take the,Eligibility section of your invitation.&text=We'll contact you with,after we receive your email.

Can I take the online test outside Canada?
Yes, you can take the test outside Canada.
If you get your invitation and plan to take the test while you’re outside Canada, send an email to the address in the Eligibility section of your invitation.
In your email,
  • put “Outside Canada – Citizenship Test” in the subject line
  • in the body of your message, include
    • your full name
    • your application number
    • the start and end date for your test
We’ll contact you with your next steps after we receive your email.

zohaib52

Apr 7, 2014
Here is the official Q and A for this question

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1571&top=5#:~:text=Yes, you can take the,Eligibility section of your invitation.&text=We'll contact you with,after we receive your email.

Can I take the online test outside Canada?
Yes, you can take the test outside Canada.
If you get your invitation and plan to take the test while you’re outside Canada, send an email to the address in the Eligibility section of your invitation.
In your email,
  • put “Outside Canada – Citizenship Test” in the subject line
  • in the body of your message, include
    • your full name
    • your application number
    • the start and end date for your test
We’ll contact you with your next steps after we receive your email.
This is really helpful. Thank you for your provided information.