+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusing case - please help

alinakniaz

Oct 21, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am currently in the process of applying for PR for my second time (got refusal in May).

While looking at all my information I EVER submitted to IRCC, I realized that with my work permit application 2 years ago I put a completely different employer name than in my 1st PR application (the job is in the personal history section, totally irrelevant to my application). The employer name didn't match my Record of Employment EITHER time - I know this is stupid. I was working for school, my program coordinator said one thing, then the school said another thing, then my Record of Employment said a completely different thing lol. The officer didn't mention anything about it in the refusal letter, the reason was different.

Now with my 2rd PR application I want to be as truthful as possible obviously, and since I started digging up my RoEs I want to put the current information that the government has. Do you think this case is worth a letter of explanation? I have a bunch on letters already regarding my previous refusal and some covid circumstances, I just feel awful that the officer is gonna have to deal with such complications.

Let me know what you guys think. Now that I wrote this out it seems that a letter of explanation is what I need to do, but since I had doubts I would like to get a 2nd opinion.

Thank you!

Last edited:

alinakniaz

Oct 21, 2019
What was your reason of refusal ?
A typo in letter of employment of the job that I was basing my application on. My employer (Tim Hortons) put start year as 2019 instead of 2018, so I ended up having 3 months of work experience instead of 1 year and 3 months. I have asked them to confirm the correct dates and acknowledge the mistake.

Rahul81

Jun 2, 2020
I would say submit request to reconsider this case, assuming some person with common sense reviews and accepts it. Also submit letter of explanation may include some mail correspondence with employer explaining error on their part, ultimately it’s applicant responsibility but still it’s not end of the world. No harm in trying

jn791

Star Member
Jul 23, 2019
if your application was (officially) refused by IRCC, you cannot send a reconsideration request. You will have to apply again.

alinakniaz

Oct 21, 2019
I would say submit request to reconsider this case, assuming some person with common sense reviews and accepts it. Also submit letter of explanation may include some mail correspondence with employer explaining error on their part, ultimately it’s applicant responsibility but still it’s not end of the world. No harm in trying
I have consulted a few lawyers who recommended me to apply again since it WAS my error. From what I understand, if request for reconsideration is denied, it will be taken to Federal court and I think there's no need to take it that far. I will try applying again and simply providing a new employment letter.

My question was more so for providing an explanation for this one section of my application with the job confusion. Thank you

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I have consulted a few lawyers who recommended me to apply again since it WAS my error. From what I understand, if request for reconsideration is denied, it will be taken to Federal court and I think there's no need to take it that far. I will try applying again and simply providing a new employment letter.

My question was more so for providing an explanation for this one section of my application with the job confusion. Thank you
If a request for reconsideration is refused, it doesn't immediately get taken to the Federal Court, you would have to file at the court for that to happen. A request for reconsideration is an informal method to ask for reconsideration.

alinakniaz

Oct 21, 2019
If a request for reconsideration is refused, it doesn't immediately get taken to the Federal Court, you would have to file at the court for that to happen. A request for reconsideration is an informal method to ask for reconsideration.
I missed out on it at this point anyway. It was refused almost 2 months ago.

Oh well, another $1400 it is!

HelloCanada_2020

Mar 4, 2020
I missed out on it at this point anyway. It was refused almost 2 months ago.

Oh well, another $1400 it is!
Even though its been 2 months, i see no harm in trying for reconsideration. You can either call the call centre and explain your situation and ask them to help you with the reconsideration request. Sometimes, if they are kind enough, they put a note on the file which the officer processing your file can read. At the same time you can upload the updated employment letter and a LOE, stating the blunder on the employer’s part and make a humble request. It totally depends upon the officer whether he/she will reopen the file or not. In the forum you can see some people have come across very kind officers who had reopened the file even though it was the applicant’s mistake. But most officers are not so kind. It all depends upon your luck.
At the same time however, i would advice you to start work on your new application as reconsideration can from 1 week to a year. So, dnt get your hopes too high, but theres no harm trying. Incase it gets through, you can cancel your new application even after submitting.