+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

confused whether to sponsor husband or not

allaine

Mar 8, 2012
Hi everyone!

I'm a live-in caregiver and soon will be passing my application for PR under LCP. My problem is that me and my husband are not in good terms anymore. we have 2 kids, are staying with my parents in the Philippines. My husband stopped giving financial support a year ago and i don't know where his whereabouts now. my question is, is it ok if i will not include him in my application? would it not affect my application? do i have to file divorce here? because annulment in the philippines takes too long without an assurance that it will be granted. i haven't seek any legal advice coz i don't have much funds, i don't know how much it would cost me if i file a divorce.

Please! please! please! i need some advice. thanks in advance.

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
Why would you want to sponsor him? He obviously doesn't care about you or his children, which is very sad. For all these kinds of unique questions / concerns, it's always my advice to write detailed explanations. That's really the best you can do, and any visa officer with common sense will understand.

FS

weary-damsil31

Star Member
Feb 8, 2011
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-07-2012
Med's Done....
April 28,2012
LANDED..........
July 10/14
Hi, i have a friend who has the same issue with yours.FS was right,write a detailed explanation that you and your husband aren't not in good terms and you don't want to include him in your PR application.

Filling a divorce is easy.i did mine last year without any problem.Depends on what province/city you are,just go to the Law Courts--Family Law Centre - and they will guide you through the whole process.If you have confusions for the forms,they have LINC--- it's a library and the people there will help you.They are very friendly and kind.

All the best,Kabayan!:)

allaine

Mar 8, 2012
Salamat Kabayan s additional info. pwede b makuha email add mo? dko alam panu mag pm dto e, sensya na. may mga katanungan sana ako. salamat uli.

Ehra C.

Jun 9, 2012
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2012-08-01
AOR Received.
2012-10-16
Med's Request
2013-05-02
Med's Done....
2013-05-07
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
2013-05-02, In-Process: 2013-06-04, Decision Made: 2013-07-25
VISA ISSUED...
2013-07-30
LANDED..........
2013-08-18
I wouldn't sponsor him. There is no requirement that you have to and if you did you would be obliged to support him in Canada for 3 years whether you stay married or not. It sounds like he doesn't consider himself married anymore. It really comes down to how you feel about it. If you feel the marriage is over then don't sponsor him. If it were me I would also get a divorce so I could really have a "new" life in Canada.

samjo09

May 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
allaine said:
Salamat Kabayan s additional info. pwede b makuha email add mo? dko alam panu mag pm dto e, sensya na. may mga katanungan sana ako. salamat uli.
sis makapagpm ka kapag above 20 na yata yong post mo.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ehra C. said:
I wouldn't sponsor him. There is no requirement that you have to and if you did you would be obliged to support him in Canada for 3 years whether you stay married or not. It sounds like he doesn't consider himself married anymore. It really comes down to how you feel about it. If you feel the marriage is over then don't sponsor him. If it were me I would also get a divorce so I could really have a "new" life in Canada.
Actually, if you read her post, she is not talking about sponsorship. She herself has not yet applied for PR and is wondering if to include her husband in her application or not. She does not have a choice about that. She must include him unless she first divorces him. There is no risk for her including him. Because it is not sponsorship, she is not responsible for him for 3 years. However, if she doesn't know his whereabouts and he could delay her application by not showing up for medicals etc., it is a better option to divorce him. Another point though, if she divorces him, she will need to prove full custody of her children in order to be able to get their PR to come to Canada to live with her.

Ehra C.

Jun 9, 2012
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2012-08-01
AOR Received.
2012-10-16
Med's Request
2013-05-02
Med's Done....
2013-05-07
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
2013-05-02, In-Process: 2013-06-04, Decision Made: 2013-07-25
VISA ISSUED...
2013-07-30
LANDED..........
2013-08-18
Ah, you are right, I misread that part. So she needs to say she is married to get her own PR. But when she goes to bring her kids she does not need to sponsor him as well.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ehra C. said:
Ah, you are right, I misread that part. So she needs to say she is married to get her own PR. But when she goes to bring her kids she does not need to sponsor him as well.
Unless she gets divorced before she applies, she needs to include her husband as well as the kids in her PR application. She could list her husband as not accompanying which means he would not get a PR visa but he would still be expected to get the medicals so if he is not to be found, it will delay her application. It is therefore better for her to divorce him so she does not have to include him.

northshore

Jun 26, 2012
Hi Leon,
Ive got the same problem.My son is 18 and i would like to get him after my 2 year program as live in caregiver.Should I write a letter of consent and let my husband sign it that he will now be accompanying my son going here?Since we agreed this before because I found out that he has a child from another woman 3 years ago_Or the best solution is to file a divorce here?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
northshore said:
Hi Leon,
Ive got the same problem.My son is 18 and i would like to get him after my 2 year program as live in caregiver.Should I write a letter of consent and let my husband sign it that he will now be accompanying my son going here?Since we agreed this before because I found out that he has a child from another woman 3 years ago_Or the best solution is to file a divorce here?
Your son is 18 so to immigration, although he is still your dependent child and can be included in your PR application, he has also reached the age of majority to make his own decisions on where he wants to live so you do not need his fathers permission for him to move to Canada. If you want to divorce his father, that is up to you but if you do, you should do it soon enough for it to be finalized before you apply so you do not have to include your husband in your application.