+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confused- Need advice from senior members please...

Riasat94

Feb 16, 2013
Hi,

My family immigrated to Canada in 2001 and returned after 6 months due to trouble at home. They did not have a PR back then and were issued a travel document on 2004 and they also returned after 9 months. I was a minor back then. I turned 18 last year and I wish to go to Canada to study. I still have my PR status but my PR card has expired. I am going to apply for my Travel Documents under H&C grounds as I did not meet the residency obligations in the last five years. I am not sure if I will be successful in my claim. So should I submit the forms for both my Travel Documents and my Study Permit or just for my Travel Documents? Please reply soon it is URGENT!

Thank you in advance... :)

Josh21

Oct 27, 2012
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Done....
01-09-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
Depends honestly. I assume that after applying for a Travel Document in 2004 you had some intention to stay in Canada after that? If you can prove why you left(again) it should help although the case is definitely harder considering you already took advantage of their H&C once before.

There's no reason that they are going to grant your request a second time, although it is possible. Regardless however, such a request will take time, perhaps even close to a year depending on the visa office that serves your region.

Keep in mind, you cant apply for both a TD and a SP at the same time. By pure logic they serve the same purpose. Both of them will give you a visa to travel on your national passport. Also if you are indeed given back your PR, you dont need a SP which makes it void anyway. Hence, you cant ask for both.

It's advisable to ask for the H&C and avoid the study permit since there is no chance they are going to give you a SP anyway without clearing the PR problem first.

Riasat94

Feb 16, 2013
Looks like I have got quite a situation here. :/
Well first of all I was a minor and I was forced to leave in 2004 by my parents. I have also prepared documents to support some quite strong reasons for coming back. The problem is I have gotten offers from three universities in Canada and my session starts from this September. What should I do?

Josh21

Oct 27, 2012
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Done....
01-09-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
Riasat94 said:
Looks like I have got quite a situation here. :/
Well first of all I was a minor and I was forced to leave in 2004 by my parents. I have also prepared documents to support some quite strong reasons for coming back. The problem is I have gotten offers from three universities in Canada and my session starts from this September. What should I do?

September will most likely not be possible given your situation. Id suggest a deferral to sort this out during the year. At the very least if your PR doesent work out, you can try the SP option next

Riasat94

Feb 16, 2013
Isn't there any way I could ask them to speed up the process? I have heard the terms "expedited travel document" and "emergency travel document". What do these mean? Do any of these apply to me? Can't I do anything to get a permit to land in Canada before September?

Josh21

Oct 27, 2012
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Done....
01-09-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
Riasat94 said:
Isn't there any way I could ask them to speed up the process? I have heard the terms "expedited travel document" and "emergency travel document". What do these mean? Do any of these apply to me? Can't I do anything to get a permit to land in Canada before September?
No offense but your situation is hardly an emergency to qualify under that. There are actually people who cant stay in their home countries because of genuine risk to their life and raging civil wars etc who need it as an emergency. In your case its just +/- few months in what I'm assuming is a relatively safe,stable non risk place.

Just a note though, that if your in India the visa office is relatively fast, you should hear back by Sept. The others are much slower.

Riasat94

Feb 16, 2013
hehe yeh i feel rather stupid now! :-[ Well I am just desperate because I have worked really hard to get accepted into the Universities there. Well thank you LOADS! :)