+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

confused foreign worker

lynnard

Star Member
Jan 6, 2009
I've heard that a TFW can still stay here in canada legally for 3mos after the WP expires. Is this really true? coz my WP will expire this nov. and i want to stay here while im looking for another job or employer.

thanks for any info you could give me.

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
If you stay beyond the period of your work permit but within 90 days you could apply for restoration of status. Getting accepted is at the sole discretion of the officer who will be evaluating your case.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/inFORMation/applications/guides/5551E3.asp

chelly

Jun 25, 2009
Hi I am staying here in canada with a work visa and work permit. my work visa will be expiring this oct and i am really confused on how to renew it especially that i'm planning to have a vacation in the philippines early next year. i am trying to search on it on their website but i just can't understand it. what i just knew is that i need to apply for its renewal outside canada, does that mean that i have to renew it in the philippines?
thanks a lot

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
I am assuming by work visa you mean temporary resident visa (TRV). You have to apply at one of Canada Consulate/Embassy offices (which is outside of Canada). You can go or mail your application to the nearest office.

chelly

Jun 25, 2009
outside canada doesn't necessarily mean my country of origin? so you mean i can apply for its renewal anywhere as long as it's putside canada?thanks you so much

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
Yes, provided you have legal status in the country where you are planning to apply. It would make sense to go to the nearest Embassy.

mznutcracker

Apr 16, 2009
hi, u can apply for your trv at bufallo or from your country of origin.
I just had my vacation last may in the phils, and renew my trv in canadian embassy in mla, be sure to have a letter from your employer, I just waited for 6 days and my passport was delivered with a TRV. hope this info will help you

ryetams

Star Member
Mar 1, 2009
its easier and faster to apply in buffalo, so you can apply for your TRV before you go on vacation to not have the hassle in applying in the philippines where the immigration office is so slow in processing documents... good luck :D

chelly

Jun 25, 2009
Thank you very much for the info...can i apply for the renewal of my work permit and work visa at the same time?if not, what can you advise me to renew first?

tnx again...

ryetams

Star Member
Mar 1, 2009
if your WP is expiring this october i strongly suggest you renew it first before going to your vacation. anything or any changes could happen that you dont wanna get stuck in to, its better to go on vacation without worries...

jade

Star Member
Apr 6, 2009
How long does it take to process in Buffalo? Would it be a lot easier to process there than in the Philippines?

ryetams

Star Member
Mar 1, 2009
ive heard that its easy and quicker to apply in buffalo that in the philippines but some say its quicker in the philippines. both of my friends went home, one applied in buffalo and got it for 3-6 days, the other did it in the philippines and took her 2 weeks to get it, thats what ive heard from them...

jade

Star Member
Apr 6, 2009
how about in applying for PR? would it be faster to apply in Buffalo too than in the Philippines?

ryetams

Star Member
Mar 1, 2009
if you are hiring a representative that is canada based or you are already in canada then it would be better to apply in buffalo than in the philippines...