+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

confused: date of marriage -- is it the actual date or the date we registered

catoab

May 25, 2010
it is a second marriage for both of us and we did a small ceremony in india and than registered our marriage 2 months later in usa (we were living there at that time). for the date of marriage if i use my indian marriage date but than submit the registration date of later, will this be problem? i called cic and one time i was told use the date you got married (which i presume is my india date), and another agent said use the registration date!

COMPLETELY CONFUSED!

pls guide... :eek:

catoab

May 25, 2010
even if my marriage certificate has the registration date?? i dont have anything proving my india marriage date? will i need to get this??

Asta

Jan 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-01-2010
Interview........
-
LANDED..........
01-03-2011
when u got married in India, did u get any document? or was it just a ceremony, not official?
ur marriage day is the date on ur marriage certificate. that is official document. later u might mention ur indian wedding date in application if u are asked to describe ur relationship and marriage.

I

iarblue

What was the date you put on the registration in the US to register it, they obviously cosidered the ceremony to be a marriage if they let it be registered, so if you put a date on your US registration of your marriage, that is the one you use.The date you were actually married in India

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
catoab said:
it is a second marriage for both of us and we did a small ceremony in india and than registered our marriage 2 months later in usa (we were living there at that time). for the date of marriage if i use my indian marriage date but than submit the registration date of later, will this be problem? i called cic and one time i was told use the date you got married (which i presume is my india date), and another agent said use the registration date!

COMPLETELY CONFUSED!

pls guide... :eek:
Does your marriage registration certificate indicate the date and place of your marriage?
If so, you have to give the date of marriage as per the certification.

Reactions: feanor13

ucalgary

Apr 8, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2010
AOR Received.
06-04-2010
File Transfer...
15-04-2010
Passport Req..
27-04-2010
Re: confused: date of marriage -- is it the actual date or the date we registere

When I submitted our application, I wrote both dates on it and clarified what they were in brackets. So, for example . . .
DD-MM-YYYY (Date of Marriage Ceremony)
DD-MM-YYYY (Date of Registration)

It seemed to work, as we did not have any problems with the application.

catoab

May 25, 2010
to UCalgary: where did you put both the dates?? the space seems too small to put both dates.

My marriage certificate has the registration date; we never got anything from india, we were there only for 5 days...so my reception was before the marriage! gosh!!

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Did you sign anything or file anything the day you were married? If so, that is your wedding date. If not, the registration date would be. You should probably put the date on your registration in the forms but when you explain your relationship be sure to explain that you had a religious or whatever ceremony two months before.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: confused: date of marriage -- is it the actual date or the date we registere

I would also put the date that is on your marriage certificate.

My husband and I had a similar situation. We were married in a religious ceremony which was followed by a reception at the beginning of June and then had a civil ceremony at the end of June (both in India by the way). We listed our wedding date as end of June date since that was the date of our "legal" marriage. Even though for us the civil ceremony was just a formality, it is the date listed on our marriage certificate so legally that is the date we married. But we just explained the above on a separate sheet of paper and had no problems. I honestly don't think it will matter whether you list your Indian wedding date or your US registration date as your marriage date as long as you explain what happened on a separate sheet of paper.

I

iarblue

Ok well if in India it was not a real marriage then you need to put the daye of the registration in the US but when you registered your marriage in the US you must have given a date you married in India.Thats the date you would use but for sure i would do exactly what UCalgary posted if there is only space for one then make the space for the two dates but really you must have put a date to register you marriage in the US.