+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confused - Change in ECAS: We Started Processing Your Application

JRob32

Star Member
Jul 27, 2018
We are August 2019 inland applicants who today received SA and AIP, no DM yet.

I recently ordered GCMS notes and see that they have been working on our file - medicals have been passed and background checks have been started.

However, today, our ECAS account updated to say "We started processing your application on June 22, 2020". I'm a little confused by this, as it would appear that our file started to be processed last August, as we have since received AOR, passed medicals, and received SA and AIP, with the GCMS notes showing that our background checks began back in early February.

Does anyone have any indication why it would state that they only started processing our application on June 22 (yesterday)?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
This may be what is called a ghost update, indicating a change or transfer of the file. In short, means it's moving.

Amy23

Feb 19, 2020
We are August 2019 inland applicants who today received SA and AIP, no DM yet.

I recently ordered GCMS notes and see that they have been working on our file - medicals have been passed and background checks have been started.

However, today, our ECAS account updated to say "We started processing your application on June 22, 2020". I'm a little confused by this, as it would appear that our file started to be processed last August, as we have since received AOR, passed medicals, and received SA and AIP, with the GCMS notes showing that our background checks began back in early February.

Does anyone have any indication why it would state that they only started processing our application on June 22 (yesterday)?
From what I understand, for inland applications they first review your sponsor's eligibility and once that is passed (SA), it triggers your PR application processing, so you should see first a change on the sponsors' side, and then application started for PR once your sponsor is approved, these two processes are handled separatedly, they only thing they check together when they get your documents is that all documents are completed and the application package is not missing anything

Reactions: Nina12

JRob32

Star Member
Jul 27, 2018
From what I understand, for inland applications they first review your sponsor's eligibility and once that is passed (SA), it triggers your PR application processing, so you should see first a change on the sponsors' side, and then application started for PR once your sponsor is approved, these two processes are handled separatedly, they only thing they check together when they get your documents is that all documents are completed and the application package is not missing anything
This is great info, thank you! This would align with our sequence of events, as we received SA yesterday, AIP today, and then the update was made in ECAS stating that our file began processing today as well - which is what's confusing because I understood it to be processing way back when we received our AOR.

I did notice in our GCMS notes which I recently ordered and received last week that our local office was added as a secondary office (file was not exactly transferred, but a secondary office was added). Do you know if this might be a red flag, or could this be preparation for a landing interview?

Amy23

Feb 19, 2020
This is great info, thank you! This would align with our sequence of events, as we received SA yesterday, AIP today, and then the update was made in ECAS stating that our file began processing today as well - which is what's confusing because I understood it to be processing way back when we received our AOR.

I did notice in our GCMS notes which I recently ordered and received last week that our local office was added as a secondary office (file was not exactly transferred, but a secondary office was added). Do you know if this might be a red flag, or could this be preparation for a landing interview?
I have no idea about the secondary office, I am an October applicant, my app was received on Oct. 9 so I follow the forums of previous months just for reference on the stages of the processing, maybe check in June 2019 or July thread to see if someone experienced the same :)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
What do you mean by local office?