+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confused about WES regarding MSc Five years Integrated program.

dream_canada007

Star Member
Dec 6, 2017
Hello,

I have completed 5 years integrated program in IT, i have got 2 degree certificate, one for BSc and other for MSc.

After researching i found that for Indian degree BSc 3 years + MSc 2 years they consider it as bachelor equivalent but 5 year integrated course are usually considered as master's equivalent. So should i send my bachelors degree or it's enough to send in the master's degree for evaluation to WES ? I have following 2 options.

1. Send both bachelors as well as masters degree certificate
2. Send only master's degree certificate

Till now anybody from India can confirm that their 5 years Integrated Program was considered equivalent to Masters in Canada ?

Thanks for the help in advance, this is my first post here, hope their will be many more in the future.

santosh3086

Star Member
Feb 22, 2017
Hello,

I have completed 5 years integrated program in IT, i have got 2 degree certificate, one for BSc and other for MSc.

After researching i found that for Indian degree BSc 3 years + MSc 2 years they consider it as bachelor equivalent but 5 year integrated course are usually considered as master's equivalent. So should i send my bachelors degree or it's enough to send in the master's degree for evaluation to WES ? I have following 2 options.

Till now anybody from India can confirm that their 5 years Integrated Program was considered equivalent to Masters in Canada ?

Thanks for the help in advance, this is my first post here, hope their will be many more in the future.
My suggestion would be to send both for evaluation.

dream_canada007

Star Member
Dec 6, 2017
That was really a fast reply, kudos. Just i fear if i send both than their is a chance they consider it as 3+2 and award it as bachelors equivalent, if that happens i might not get enough score in CRC.

harrys147

Star Member
Oct 19, 2017
Hello,

well send all degree certificates. i also have BS and MS from India but they (WES) counted both as bachelor degree program for 3 or more years. still you have to send both BS and MS documents otherwise it may create problem in personal history.

(you will have to show in personal history that you have done BS and MS in india and it may create problem if any of them is not evaluated.)

harrys147

Star Member
Oct 19, 2017
That was really a fast reply, kudos. Just i fear if i send both than their is a chance they consider it as 3+2 and award it as bachelors equivalent, if that happens i might not get enough score in CRC.
There are high chances that they will consider it as bachelors degree only. In usa and canada bachelors is for 4 years and in india it is for 3 years so with your masters(3+2) it will fulfill their requirement of bachelors degree(4 years) and extra 1 year(it will be a different case if you have done BS in engineering because it is 5 years program in india).
hope this helps!!

dream_canada007

Star Member
Dec 6, 2017
There are high chances that they will consider it as bachelors degree only. In usa and canada bachelors is for 4 years and in india it is for 3 years so with your masters(3+2) it will fulfill their requirement of bachelors degree(4 years) and extra 1 year(it will be a different case if you have done BS in engineering because it is 5 years program in india).
hope this helps!!

Only positive side to this is that, mine is actually an integrated program so that might be counted as Masters Equivalent. Generally in an Integrated course you don't get BS degree, it's rare and only my college gave the BS degree incase you want to leave the college in between for the integrated course else they would be handing you over only 1 degree certificate and that's for MS that's it. Even my wife who has done integrated masters have a single degree certificate i.e. for masters. For example in this link https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/wes-evaluation-for-integrated-masters-degree-5-year-integrated-degree-help.299905/

That's the reason why i was considering only to send in the MS degree.

Also if it's not stated equivalent to masters can i also select "two or more certificate, diplomas or degrees. One must be a program of three or more years"

If selecting bachelors i am getting stuck at 431 score which will be difficult for me to get an ITA.

Last edited:

dream_canada007

Star Member
Dec 6, 2017
My suggestion would be to send both for evaluation.

Yeah you are correct sending both for evaluation will be good. Here is the output of the tools provided by WES.

Credential 1
Country of Education: India
Name of Degree: Bachelor of Science
Name of Institution: VNU
Equivalency in Canada: Bachelor's degree (4 years)
Credential 2
Country of Education: India
Name of Degree: Master of Science
Name of Institution: VNU
Equivalency in Canada: 1 year of graduate study

This means that even if i am not considered as masters but still i can apply for the 2 degree options just before the masters, so might not be losing points.

Any senior member can confirm is that the case so i can move forward with my application.