+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confused about CIC request for ETA Application?

Peppapig

Dec 29, 2016
I hope someone might be able to help work out what I'm being asked to submit?

I'm a British Citizen, currently residing in Australia as a permanent resident since 2008. I have a criminal conviction from back in 2004. When asked, I submitted both a U.K. Police check which highlighted the offence details, and an Australian Federal Police check which came back stating that there was no recorded offences.

I have just received another request asking me to submit a "Court Record". The letter says "Please provide the court dispositions from Audtralia for the offence(s) mentioned on your application form. The court dispositions must state the section(s) of the law under which you were convicted." (Assuming they meant AuStralia...)

I can't work out why they have asked for an Australian court record when my offence was in the UK, and I can't work out what the difference is between a court record and a police check? Is this an error? Can anyone help?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

There's a difference between a court record and a police check/record. When you are arrested, a record of this arrest is kept with the police. A police check will show all active/non-active offences recorded or no traces of offences.

Whereas a court record usually is a letter from the court which states the dates/dispositions/orders made. If you are convicted, these details become part of your criminal record.

It's like you are innocent until proven guilty. You would not have a criminal/court record unless you are convicted of a crime.

Depending on the severity of the actions, prosecutions for affray could be made for assault, disturbing the peace, etc as an offender is aware that his/her actions may cause violence.

I guess CIC would like to determine how serious your offence was/determine the Canadian equivalent of the conviction. You may want to write to CIC to clarify if a UK court record is required

Cheers

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
They made an error in the country referred to. They are asking for the court papers from the UK.