+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conflicting Thread Info: Can Unpaid Representative Link Application Online? Canada Site Says No... Some Here Say You Still Can.

Siggy92

Dec 21, 2021
A couple questions aside from the main title...

I'm going to represent my wife as her English isn't the best. Do you all think that's a wise move because of that?

How much more beneficial is the online compared to getting everything sent to my email? I literally have no idea.

Now to the main question, can unpaid reps link applications online? I've seen threads saying yes even though Canada flat out has it written they can't and I've seen threads saying they were unable to link. Looking to find out the truth since my wife doesn't speak 100% fluent I'm 50/50 on being her representative because of the statement from Canada. Linking online seems like it would be a great feature and my wife lives with me so I could log on with her if I'm not her rep but later on in the process I'm worried IIRC will contact her directly by phone or something and I simply don't have trust in her English to not mess that up without me lol.

Hoping the people that claim you can still link are correct! Any info is greatly appreciated here.

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
A couple questions aside from the main title...

I'm going to represent my wife as her English isn't the best. Do you all think that's a wise move because of that?

How much more beneficial is the online compared to getting everything sent to my email? I literally have no idea.

Now to the main question, can unpaid reps link applications online? I've seen threads saying yes even though Canada flat out has it written they can't and I've seen threads saying they were unable to link. Looking to find out the truth since my wife doesn't speak 100% fluent I'm 50/50 on being her representative because of the statement from Canada. Linking online seems like it would be a great feature and my wife lives with me so I could log on with her if I'm not her rep but later on in the process I'm worried IIRC will contact her directly by phone or something and I simply don't have trust in her English to not mess that up without me lol.

Hoping the people that claim you can still link are correct! Any info is greatly appreciated here.
You can represent her as an unpaid representative and should be able to link the account.

Be aware of the process and know what to expect as emails can get lost. The call centre is available by phone
with reasonable questions after receiving AOR and can help you to link if you are having difficulties.
I doubt IRCC will try to contact her directly by phone and be careful of telephone Scams.

If you are living together why so concerned?

Siggy92

Dec 21, 2021
You can represent her as an unpaid representative and should be able to link the account.

Be aware of the process and know what to expect as emails can get lost. The call centre is available by phone
with reasonable questions after receiving AOR and can help you to link if you are having difficulties.
I doubt IRCC will try to contact her directly by phone and be careful of telephone Scams.

If you are living together why so concerned?
Thanks for the reply. Worried because I don't have knowledge of what happens after the application is sent. If they contact her by phone she might mis-translate things said. Essentially any verbal directions in person/phone or if she has to make decisions without my help I worry she'll mess up. If the process is fully online then she could give me access and it doesn't really matter as we'd both monitor. If i can still link online as unpaid and receive the same online functions then that's the best option overall no? ...or are their 2 different online methods and I'm just confused?

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
Thanks for the reply. Worried because I don't have knowledge of what happens after the application is sent. If they contact her by phone she might mis-translate things said. Essentially any verbal directions in person/phone or if she has to make decisions without my help I worry she'll mess up. If the process is fully online then she could give me access and it doesn't really matter as we'd both monitor. If i can still link online as unpaid and receive the same online functions then that's the best option overall no? ...or are their 2 different online methods and I'm just confused?
It's a long process and months can pass without any information.... Be prepared.
Carefully check everything before sending the application to prevent future delays and I'm sure they will not contact her by phone. IRCC will communicate
directly through emails and/or online account.

You can link as an unpaid representative even though the wording is confusing.
The correspondence from IRCC will go to you as the representative. Make sure you have separate email accounts as she will receive information later
in the process. Emails can disappear (spam folders, deleted by accident, etc. ) so know what to expect.