File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No, have spoke to my mother and father and neither can find the original documents of our landing. SIN number is only something I have recently been made aware of. We are currently residing in Manitoba. We had been advised to get an Open work permit, but since this have come to understand that we should not have got this.
Who advised you to apply for the open work permit? On what basis did they say you qualified?

You'll still waiting to hear back on the results of the open work permit application, correct?

cochrane13

Apr 6, 2018
Who advised you to apply for the open work permit? On what basis did they say you qualified?

You'll still waiting to hear back on the results of the open work permit application, correct?
Hi, it was advised upon what the website advised and speaking to an immigration advisor in the UK. We are still waiting to hear a reply. We have heard recently different reasons for the delay, back logs etc but most recently the lady at the MP's office was told by her contact for the government that is more than likely because of my status

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, it was advised upon what the website advised and speaking to an immigration advisor in the UK. We are still waiting to hear a reply. We have heard recently different reasons for the delay, back logs etc but most recently the lady at the MP's office was told by her contact for the government that is more than likely because of my status
The reason for the delay is because you and your spouse do not qualify for an open work permit. You've misunderstood the requirements for qualifying for an open work permit and incorrectly answered questions on the website which made you think you qualified for one.

Individuals who are in Canada on at least a six month Temporary Resident Permit qualify for open work permits. You don't fall in this category. TRPs are not regular visitor visas. TRPs are special permits that you have to apply for and that are reserved for individuals who are otherwise inadmissible to Canada (typically due to a crime).

Sooner or later IRCC is going to refuse your open work permit applications since you meet none of the requirements to qualify for one. You should not be holding out hope there is any chance they are going to be approved. There's no chance of that happening.

cochrane13

Apr 6, 2018
The reason for the delay is because you and your spouse do not qualify for an open work permit. You've misunderstood the requirements for qualifying for an open work permit and incorrectly answered questions on the website which made you think you qualified for one.

Individuals who are in Canada on at least a six month Temporary Resident Permit qualify for open work permits. You don't fall in this category. TRPs are not regular visitor visas. TRPs are special permits that you have to apply for and that are reserved for individuals who are otherwise inadmissible to Canada (typically due to a crime).

Sooner or later IRCC is going to refuse your open work permit applications since you meet none of the requirements to qualify for one. You should not be holding out hope there is any chance they are going to be approved. There's no chance of that happening.
We are at the point that we now know that the work permit we have in application state is not going to be any good. It was more information surrounding my PR status that we were trying to get answers on.

Oct 8, 2018
Not to highjack this thread, but I was curious about this statement:

"I spoke to the local MP office who called their direct goverment number and they advised that everything still shows as normal PR status and that no records show of me renouncing it"

It was my understanding that a person would have to apply for a PR card or ask an immigration officer what their PR status records show. Is it possible to inquire through a local MP office instead? Would it depend on each individual office?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Not to highjack this thread, but I was curious about this statement:

"I spoke to the local MP office who called their direct goverment number and they advised that everything still shows as normal PR status and that no records show of me renouncing it"

It was my understanding that a person would have to apply for a PR card or ask an immigration officer what their PR status records show. Is it possible to inquire through a local MP office instead? Would it depend on each individual office?
MPs are a complete dice roll. Most only have a high level understanding of immigration rules and processes. There's also always the risk that they misinterpret what they are told when the call. So short answer is that they can inquire on your behalf but whether you rely on that info is a different matter.

I personally would not bank on what an MP has told me in a complex situation like this. No guarantee it's accurate.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
MPs are a complete dice roll. Most only have a high level understanding of immigration rules and processes. There's also always the risk that they misinterpret what they are told when the call. So short answer is that they can inquire on your behalf but whether you rely on that info is a different matter.

I personally would not bank on what an MP has told me in a complex situation like this. No guarantee it's accurate.
Scylla meant to say *low level :)

Reactions: scylla