+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confirmation of Permanent Residence

Lanaloo

Sep 20, 2012
Hi, When I became a permanent resident, they stapled a form called "Confirmation of Permanent Residence" to a page inside my U.S. passport. I also got a Permanent Resident card.
Anyhow, I've traveled outside the country a number of times, but on a recent trip, a border officer said something I never heard before. He said that I should take the "Confirmation of Permanent Residence" form out of the passport and put it in a safe place, because if I were to lose both at the same time, I would have really big problems. Nobody had ever told me that before.
But before I remove it from the passport and put it in a safety deposit box or something like that, I want to verify that what the officer said is correct. I don't want to take it out and then find out that I'm in trouble at the border because it was supposed to be there in my passport.
So is this right? Is this something that should be removed from the passport and stored somewhere else? Or is it best to keep it in there for some reason? (After all, it was stapled there, presumably for a reason.....??)
Also, what do I use that for? If I apply for another residency card when mine expires, do I have to show that form again? Is it also used if I want to apply for citizenship?
Thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Lanaloo said:
Hi, When I became a permanent resident, they stapled a form called "Confirmation of Permanent Residence" to a page inside my U.S. passport. I also got a Permanent Resident card.
Anyhow, I've traveled outside the country a number of times, but on a recent trip, a border officer said something I never heard before. He said that I should take the "Confirmation of Permanent Residence" form out of the passport and put it in a safe place, because if I were to lose both at the same time, I would have really big problems. Nobody had ever told me that before.
But before I remove it from the passport and put it in a safety deposit box or something like that, I want to verify that what the officer said is correct. I don't want to take it out and then find out that I'm in trouble at the border because it was supposed to be there in my passport.
So is this right? Is this something that should be removed from the passport and stored somewhere else? Or is it best to keep it in there for some reason? (After all, it was stapled there, presumably for a reason.....??)
Also, what do I use that for? If I apply for another residency card when mine expires, do I have to show that form again? Is it also used if I want to apply for citizenship?
Thanks!
1. Take it out of the passport and put it in a safe place. You will need it for citizenship, and your pension when you retire. Your PR card is sufficient. No, you don't require the COPR to renew your PR card.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The COPR is an original document so you should take good care of it. You used to be able to get certified copies from CIC if you lost it but they just recently stopped doing that.

Lanaloo

Sep 20, 2012
Thanks for the information. :) It's kind of scary to hear though that even if people's best efforts at keeping it safe fail, then they have no backup system anymore. So for example, if it were ever lost in a fire, or in a car accident on the way to the safety deposit box, or if the bank blew up, then if it were lost, one could never collect one's pension?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think there must be ways to do that. Since they only recently stopped doing copies, I guess we will find out in the future what happens when people have lost them. I know you need them for citizenship but maybe they will start waiving that requirement in the future.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
I think there must be ways to do that. Since they only recently stopped doing copies, I guess we will find out in the future what happens when people have lost them. I know you need them for citizenship but maybe they will start waiving that requirement in the future.
New Process

As of August 27, 2012, the QRC will discontinue issuing certified true copies of immigration documents to clients and instead will issue a plain paper, uncertified VOS document that will confirm pertinent historical information retrieved from the original documents, such as date of entry and status at document issuance. On August 27, 2012, all applications for VOS and Amendment to Record of Landing (ARL) submitted in Canada and overseas will be created and processed by the QRC using GCMS. The following are some key points of this new process:

arshamd

Aug 6, 2013
Hi,
i lost my Confirmation of Permanent Residence. anyone can help me what to do.

Thanks for your help

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can apply for a verfication of status here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certcopy.asp

HawkEye

Jan 16, 2010
arshamd said:
Hi,
i lost my Confirmation of Permanent Residence. anyone can help me what to do.

Thanks for your help
Hi one of my frens lost her copr and i would like to know what kind of process did you go through and examples could be highly appreciated .

Thanks

Optymystyc

Star Member
Aug 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2011
File Transfer...
DM - 27th Aug 2013
Med's Request
Dec 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 2012
LANDED..........
28th Oct 2013
HawkEye said:
Hi one of my frens lost her copr and i would like to know what kind of process did you go through and examples could be highly appreciated .

Thanks
@Hawkeye If you have lost your COPR first you need to file a police report or get your claim letter/affidavit notarized. There's no guarantee that you will be issued a new and if you would, it might take a long time to process.

You will need to file Application for a Verification of Status (VOS) or Replacement of an Immigration Document (IMM 5545).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5545ETOC.asp

Hope this helps! ;D ;D ;D