Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Feb 17, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 22, 2017, Guidance Counseling Program Seminar March 3, 2017
LANDED..........
March 20, 2017
Hello guys, I was hoping to get help from people here.

I am a Canadian guy here and I sponsored my transgender partner. She is a transgender woman from the Philippines. We applied a conjugal outland application and she was approved with conditional permanent residence. (must cohabit 2 years as common law). She arrived in Canada last month. She is still waiting for her PR card to arrive.

Here are my questions:

1. I would assume the PR card that she will receive has an expiration date of 2 years, Is that correct? does she need to apply for another card after it expires? or do we need to prove that we abide the 2 years cohabitation? do we have to provide proofs? Please tell me the entire process.

2. How many years is she eligible to be a citizen? Once she is a citizen can she change her name and her gender marker? She is a Filipino and she is not allowed to change her gender and her name on her philippine passport. No laws in the Philippines for trans people.

3. Now that she is a permanent resident, can she change her gender marker? or does she still have to use "male" even if she looks so feminine? will that affect her status as a permanent resident?

Thank you so much and have a great day!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
canadalover4987 said:
1. I would assume the PR card that she will receive has an expiration date of 2 years, Is that correct? does she need to apply for another card after it expires? or do we need to prove that we abide the 2 years cohabitation? do we have to provide proofs? Please tell me the entire process.
No it will be a regular 5+ year card. As long as there was no investigation launched around the conditional PR status, the condition will be automatically removed in IRCC's systems after the 2 years is over. There is no need for you to do anything.

2. How many years is she eligible to be a citizen? Once she is a citizen can she change her name and her gender marker? She is a Filipino and she is not allowed to change her gender and her name on her philippine passport. No laws in the Philippines for trans people.
Current rules require 4 years out of 6 living in Canada as a PR to qualify for citizenship. Rules may change back to 3 out of 5, but who knows.

As a Canadian, she can do anything withing Canadian rules. Philippines rules would be irrelevant, except when she happens to travel to Philippines or use a passport from there.

3. Now that she is a permanent resident, can she change her gender marker? or does she still have to use "male" even if she looks so feminine? will that affect her status as a permanent resident?
I have no idea on this, though I imagine it may cause problems traveling if Philippines refuses to allow her to change her passport.