+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

conditional acceptance to university (condition not fulfilled)

A.G.Pennypacker

Star Member
Jun 3, 2014
I know someone who received a conditional acceptance to study at a CDN university. This conditional acceptance was dependent upon the student finishing her ESL program.

She used the conditional acceptance letter from the university to renew her Study Permit. It was granted for 3 years. However, she didn't fulfill the condition even though she's had more than 6 months to complete a 6 week ESL session. It's now apparent that she has no intent of fulfilling the requirement set-out in her acceptance letter.

My question is, what happens to her SP? Can she legally stay in Canada for 3 years? And, why would a visa officer give a 3 year study permit to someone who wasn't fully accepted to university?

It's a weird situation because of the condition attached to her acceptance. She could probably argue that she tried to fulfill the condition and simply couldn't. Further, she could argue that it's not her fault the VO gave her a 3 year study permit.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

A.G.Pennypacker said:
I know someone who received a conditional acceptance to study at a CDN university. This conditional acceptance was dependent upon the student finishing her ESL program.

She used the conditional acceptance letter from the university to renew her Study Permit. It was granted for 3 years. However, she didn't fulfill the condition even though she's had more than 6 months to complete a 6 week ESL session. It's now apparent that she has no intent of fulfilling the requirement set-out in her acceptance letter.

My question is, what happens to her SP? Can she legally stay in Canada for 3 years? And, why would a visa officer give a 3 year study permit to someone who wasn't fully accepted to university?

It's a weird situation because of the condition attached to her acceptance. She could probably argue that she tried to fulfill the condition and simply couldn't. Further, she could argue that it's not her fault the VO gave her a 3 year study permit.
1. No, she probably won't be able to remain for the 3 years not attending school. CIC will probably remove her. Read the following on students.

Studying while in Canada http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-changes.asp

As of June 1, 2014, all study permit holders in Canada will need to actively pursue studies. This means that:

if you hold a study permit, you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your program; and
failing to do so could lead to your removal from Canada.

Your educational institution will report to CIC on your continued enrolment and academic status. You may also be asked by an immigration officer to provide evidence of your continued enrolment and academic status.