Maherd

Oct 27, 2011
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
royalsting said:
Nice to read you guys ain't fighting anymore :D.

By the way I guess noone or hardly any Indian student works on campus.
We weren't fighting, dat is called ''debating'' ;) :D...lol !

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rhasan said:
As mentioned earlier, on campus jobs are extremely competitive and hard to get a good one (like library and stuffs). But if the university has a big campus (aka public university), there would be loads of food shops and they constantly hire people and they pay at least the minimum wage set by the province (8 to 10). Better on campus jobs like bookstores and libraries are more of "referred" basis and they take people whom the admin knows. If you can get in touch with managers/executive body members of some sort of associations, that would be a plus for securing better job. Like here at uofc, they pay $15/hour at library while $10 (at max) in food shops.

About the 20hours/week, its just a guideline and nothing mandatory. If you can manage, you can work for more than that. But just a heads up, the study over here literally "kills" you if you don't give it enough time. I once enjoyed a long weekend without studying and had to go through a tidal wave! :p Those who arrive here at Fall gets advantage of working full time during summer but for people coming in January, that's a negative point since the work permit would be issued at the end of summer for them.

Over here, work and education is more or less like a trade off of each other.
Thanks for sharing your views.

aamro1992

Jul 10, 2011
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
14-March-2017
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Request
Waived
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
05-June-2017
LANDED..........
01-Sep-2017
never do any job in the first year. This is my third month in Canada and education is absolutely brutal. If you get a low gpa then say good bye to pgwp :). Try second year when you are settled and when you know what's expected of you in Canada

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aamro1992 said:
never do any job in the first year. This is my third month in Canada and education is absolutely brutal. If you get a low gpa then say good bye to pgwp :). Try second year when you are settled and when you know what's expected of you in Canada
Thanks for sharing your views.

Maherd

Oct 27, 2011
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aamro1992 said:
Yes, i heard assignments and stuff...they don't leave any spare time. thnxx for the advice :)..appreciate it !

rhasan

May 3, 2011
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2015
Doc's Request.
21-11-2015
Nomination.....
23-11-2015
Maherd said:
Yes, i heard assignments and stuff...they don't leave any spare time. thnxx for the advice :)..appreciate it !
There's a huge problem with cash job. Lets leave the illegal part for now. When you are working in such job, the owner is actually "favoring" you by allowing you to work and thus he/she will sometime toy with you like not paying you in due time and you won't be able to complain too (because of the "favoring" part). Although both the employee and the employer is equally guilty in terms of law but then again, you would be working under him/her so that person got control over you. Plus the payment is relatively low and you may hardly earn the living (not the tuition) with all the tax and stuffs cut.

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
rhasan said:
There's a huge problem with cash job. Lets leave the illegal part for now. When you are working in such job, the owner is actually "favoring" you by allowing you to work and thus he/she will sometime toy with you like not paying you in due time and you won't be able to complain too (because of the "favoring" part). Although both the employee and the employer is equally guilty in terms of law but then again, you would be working under him/her so that person got control over you. Plus the payment is relatively low and you may hardly earn the living (not the tuition) with all the tax and stuffs cut.
+1 to you for that.

Rupak14

Sep 23, 2011
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17/11/2011
Med's Request
Med's Done
Med's Done....
14/07/2011
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
Never
rhasan said:
+1

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rhasan said:

Thanks again.

+1 for you. Please keep sharing more of that stuff.

I have noticed (after spending some time on google) that it's employer (like Restaurant, construction sites, bars etc) usually favor cash based economy as it benefit in terms of saving taxes. And it’s not just international students (initially I thought it's only international students) but many native peoples also work in a parallel cash based economy and interestingly the motive is to;

1. To claim unemployement benefit from the Govt.
2. To save on account of taxes.

but anyway, since we are not in Canada, we can only make few wild assumptions.

rhasan

May 3, 2011
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2015
Doc's Request.
21-11-2015
Nomination.....
23-11-2015
enfield said:
Thanks again.

+1 for you. Please keep sharing more of that stuff.

I have noticed (after spending some time on google) that it's employer (like Restaurant, construction sites, bars etc) usually favor cash based economy as it benefit in terms of saving taxes. And it's not just international students (initially I thought it's only international students) but many native peoples also work in a parallel cash based economy and interestingly the motive is to;

1. To claim unemployement benefit from the Govt.
2. To save on account of taxes.

but anyway, since we are not in Canada, we can only make few wild assumptions.
Lol you are absolutely right. People can find so many ways to earn extra:p

I used to think people in USA (like plumbers and workers) usually do these sort of stuffs (cash jobs so no record is there how much you are earning). But once I came here, I saw the same scenario (not as big as USA of course). Like if you work in bar, you can earn upto $300 PER NIGHT with tips and stuffs :O And all in your pocket :p Obviously cash job has this benefit of not having to pay tax (which is a huge cut in Canada of around 20% or something) but it brings in the equal risk of not getting paid and getting mistreated. Then again, everything got trade offs right?

Try learning plumbing or garage work back home, they pay BIG (sometimes more than full time jobs :p) over here.

Kirtan1

Star Member
Oct 6, 2011
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
6.5 Bands
Med's Done....
21, Oct , 2011
Interview........
Not Applicable , SPP
VISA ISSUED...
16.Nov. 2011
LANDED..........
20, Dec, 2011
u r welcome Mesha . :D

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rhasan said:
Lol you are absolutely right. People can find so many ways to earn extra:p

I used to think people in USA (like plumbers and workers) usually do these sort of stuffs (cash jobs so no record is there how much you are earning). But once I came here, I saw the same scenario (not as big as USA of course). Like if you work in bar, you can earn upto $300 PER NIGHT with tips and stuffs :O And all in your pocket :p Obviously cash job has this benefit of not having to pay tax (which is a huge cut in Canada of around 20% or something) but it brings in the equal risk of not getting paid and getting mistreated. Then again, everything got trade offs right?

Try learning plumbing or garage work back home, they pay BIG (sometimes more than full time jobs :p) over here.
so it's going to be 'Plumbing + garage work = a possible millionaire'

lolzz :) , thanks once again.

rhasan

May 3, 2011
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......