+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Condition 51 permanent residence

Dec 24, 2016
Hi everyone. I just received my Confirmation of Permanent Residence and I have condition 51 listed on the document: must cohabit with my sponsor (husband) for a period of 2 years from the day my PR is granted. We are very excited to finally start our lives together!! I must land in Canada by the beginning of March 2017- which is 2 months from now. Based on reading the condition, I understand that to mean we must live together by then as well. My only concern is that we had planned to live together starting this summer- june/July timeframe. My husband travels for work about 20+ days a month through June and it would be a nightmare to move before then. I also have family coming to visit me in America in April, and need some time to apply/interview for jobs in canada and close out with my current employer. When we submitted our sponsorship application the timeframe was close to 20 momths. Ours was granted after 6 months- which we are VERY grateful for but it definitely screwed up our plans. Am I ok with taking about 3 months after my "landing" date to move up? I don't want to risk any trouble with my PR but this would help us tremendously. Thanks for any knowledge/advice.

cheng9999

Dec 14, 2015
Baseballbritt18 said:
Hi everyone. I just received my Confirmation of Permanent Residence and I have condition 51 listed on the document: must cohabit with my sponsor (husband) for a period of 2 years from the day my PR is granted. We are very excited to finally start our lives together!! I must land in Canada by the beginning of March 2017- which is 2 months from now. Based on reading the condition, I understand that to mean we must live together by then as well. My only concern is that we had planned to live together starting this summer- june/July timeframe. My husband travels for work about 20+ days a month through June and it would be a nightmare to move before then. I also have family coming to visit me in America in April, and need some time to apply/interview for jobs in canada and close out with my current employer. When we submitted our sponsorship application the timeframe was close to 20 momths. Ours was granted after 6 months- which we are VERY grateful for but it definitely screwed up our plans. Am I ok with taking about 3 months after my "landing" date to move up? I don't want to risk any trouble with my PR but this would help us tremendously. Thanks for any knowledge/advice.
Don't worry about being away due to work and vacation. The real issue is a breakdown of relationship, and the marriage is basically no longer in effect. If you are concerned about these things coming back to haunt you later on, just document them clearly the dates and reasons. You would not be able to recall them clearly later on.

Many people have traveling jobs which take them away from home 30,40,60% in a year, days at a time or a more prolonged stretch. They are not considered to be "away".

CDNinHH

Star Member
Aug 3, 2016
Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30 May, 2016
AOR Received.
30-05-2016
File Transfer...
01-08-2016
Med's Request
01-08-2016
Med's Done....
Passed Nov. 01, 2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Nov 23, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Dec. 16, 2016
LANDED..........
Planning April 2017
Baseballbritt18 said:
Do not be at all concerned about this, as mentioned by cheng9999 this is there to protect the sponsor. Believe me I'm speaking from experience here. If you were to leave your husband (sponsor) within the 2 year time frame and HE contacted CIC to advise them of this that would be the only time CIC would even know there was a problem. This happened to me about 10 years ago, 6 months after landing my wife (PR) left me. It became apparent she only married me to obtain PR. I contacted CIC and advised them of this but was told there was nothing they could do as at that time there was no Condition 51 clause......unfortunately.

If your relationship is genuine you have nothing to worry about.