+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Condition 51, Conditional Permanent Residency, Marriage and Divorce !

Noah_Saaz

Star Member
Jun 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-ISBD - CHC London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 2012
Doc's Request.
November 2013
AOR Received.
October 2012
Med's Request
August 2014
Passport Req..
September 2014
VISA ISSUED...
September 2014
LANDED..........
January 2015
Dear Members,

I am married to a Canadian citizen and our spousal immigration papers filed to CIC on Sept 7, 2012 it was an arranged marriage and I landed in Canada on January 25th, 2015. On my landing papers under the heading of Condition there is written "NONE".

My husband is suffering from Bipolar disorder. He employment prospects are unstable because of his sufferings from delusions and psychiatric episodes. He is sweet and caring when normal but aggressive, rude and violent when in the state of psychosis. His psychiatric episodes triggered 2 to 5 times in a day.

It is getting hard and harder for me to put up with this situation; considering what kinda future will I have with him?

Please advice, if I intend for divorce how will it effect my PRC?

Am I gonna lose my PRC if I get divorce from him?

Please advice and explain....

Thanks
Sister

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
As you do not have Condition 51 on your COPR, a divorce would have no effect on your PR status.

Noah_Saaz

Star Member
Jun 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-ISBD - CHC London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 2012
Doc's Request.
November 2013
AOR Received.
October 2012
Med's Request
August 2014
Passport Req..
September 2014
VISA ISSUED...
September 2014
LANDED..........
January 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
As you do not have Condition 51 on your COPR, a divorce would have no effect on your PR status.
Thanks. So, it means that if there were a condition on my Permanent Resident Status; it would've written on my landing papers?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Noah_Saaz said:
Thanks. So, it means that if there were a condition on my Permanent Resident Status; it would've written on my landing papers?
Yes.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Condition 51 was only imposed on applications received on or after Oct 25, 2012, so as you applied in September 2012, you do not have this condition on your PR and hence have nothing to worry about.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
"I've been working very hard on this marriage for almost 6 full months now ... It's not working, I want a divorce, is there any risk to my PR?" ..... ::)

Maybe before you just throw the marriage away you could suggest he get some help, maybe even stand beside him so he doesn't feel left alone and used. It would appear that he has been diagnosed, at least by you, if not by an actual doctor. Maybe now his medications need to be adjusted to ensure he doesn't continue to have these problems daily. He managed to pass sponsorship assessment which indicates he has and/or had a job at that time.

This is my own opinion and what I would do if my marriage had hit this type of roadblock. Of course, I immigrated to be with my husband so I would leave the country and go back 'home' if our marriage didn't work out anyway. It sounds very much like my reasons for immigration are not really shared by you...

Noah_Saaz

Star Member
Jun 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-ISBD - CHC London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 2012
Doc's Request.
November 2013
AOR Received.
October 2012
Med's Request
August 2014
Passport Req..
September 2014
VISA ISSUED...
September 2014
LANDED..........
January 2015
Leon said:
Condition 51 was only imposed on applications received on or after Oct 25, 2012, so as you applied in September 2012, you do not have this condition on your PR and hence have nothing to worry about.
Thank you.

Noah_Saaz

Star Member
Jun 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-ISBD - CHC London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 2012
Doc's Request.
November 2013
AOR Received.
October 2012
Med's Request
August 2014
Passport Req..
September 2014
VISA ISSUED...
September 2014
LANDED..........
January 2015
Alurra71 said:
"I've been working very hard on this marriage for almost 6 full months now ... It's not working, I want a divorce, is there any risk to my PR?" ..... ::)

Maybe before you just throw the marriage away you could suggest he get some help, maybe even stand beside him so he doesn't feel left alone and used. It would appear that he has been diagnosed, at least by you, if not by an actual doctor. Maybe now his medications need to be adjusted to ensure he doesn't continue to have these problems daily. He managed to pass sponsorship assessment which indicates he has and/or had a job at that time.

This is my own opinion and what I would do if my marriage had hit this type of roadblock. Of course, I immigrated to be with my husband so I would leave the country and go back 'home' if our marriage didn't work out anyway. It sounds very much like my reasons for immigration are not really shared by you...
How He managed to pass the sponsorship assessment is a surprise for me as well, as it was an arranged marriage by our family elders. So, I have never questioned his background. It was when I got here in Canada I found out that he is never been employed and he is surviving on ODSP plus shelter support from his parents. He was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2002 and he is on medication ever since. He needs constant support and monitoring, it is me now who is working and earning while he is stay at home husband. All in all, it's not easy.

It is easy for you to judge but for me it is really depressing and very hard.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Noah_Saaz said:
How He managed to pass the sponsorship assessment is a surprise for me as well, as it was an arranged marriage by our family elders. So, I have never questioned his background. It was when I got here in Canada I found out that he is never been employed and he is surviving on ODSP plus shelter support from his parents. He was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2002 and he is on medication ever since. He needs constant support and monitoring, it is me now who is working and earning while he is stay at home husband. All in all, it's not easy.

It is easy for you to judge but for me it is really depressing and very hard.
What did you expect from marriage? It is hard by its very nature. Being someones wife and/or husband will be the most difficult job ever held by a human being. It is work. If it is worth it, you work hard and overcome. If it is not worth it you cut your losses and walk away. It truly does all depend on you, nobody else.

But if I may be so bold. Why does it matter to you if you can stay in Canada. Your family all lives in another country. Why not just return to your homeland? You certainly haven't invested a terrible amount of time in this country based on your own stated timeline so it does sound suspect to anyone on the outside. You say I am judging you, when in all reality I am simply telling you what it looks like to the casual observer, which is what we all are on this forum.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Coming from a western country, I admit I don't really understand arranged marriages but it looks to me that Noah_Saaz didn't get the best end of the deal here. Mental illness can be terrible to deal with and can often wreck a marriage, even when the couple already knew and loved each other before one of them fell ill.

Now, with an arranged marriage, I suppose that her expectations were that she would get an average man who does average things such as work for a living and that she can communicate with him and grow to love him. What she got was a man who has been mentally ill for years and is violent and abusive and hasn't worked a day in his life. It is very unlikely that her husband will ever get better if he has been like this for the past 13 years. If his medication could have been adjusted, it would have happened by now. I would not see much of a future either for her if she stays with him.

As for staying in Canada, she has a job and coworkers, maybe even friends by now. Why shouldn't she stay if she wants to?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Alurra71 said:
What did you expect from marriage? It is hard by its very nature. Being someones wife and/or husband will be the most difficult job ever held by a human being. It is work. If it is worth it, you work hard and overcome. If it is not worth it you cut your losses and walk away. It truly does all depend on you, nobody else.

But if I may be so bold. Why does it matter to you if you can stay in Canada. Your family all lives in another country. Why not just return to your homeland? You certainly haven't invested a terrible amount of time in this country based on your own stated timeline so it does sound suspect to anyone on the outside. You say I am judging you, when in all reality I am simply telling you what it looks like to the casual observer, which is what we all are on this forum.
Alurra71, you are being very judgmental of the OP. I am a casual observer and DO NOT see the situation at all like you do. To say that it depends on her whether to stay married to a mentally ill and ABUSIVE person that she did not really choose in the first place is ridiculous.

Tell me, do you go around telling domestic abuse victims to "just stick it out, maybe s/he won't hit you again"?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
The OP asked about getting a divorce in April, again in May and now in June.

Each time, the only question asked was "Will I lose my PR".

She just landed in January.

I would invite you both to read her previous posts. Her spouse was in fact working a job when she arrived in Canada according to her ...

... I had spent considerable time sitting here typing, then deleting, then retyping something else, only to realize the reason I can't come up with what I feel is a 'good' response is because I don't have to. Suffice it to say that the OP's posts all strike a chord with me that screams MOC.

@Canuk:

I was neither judgmental nor advising the OP to stay in an abusive marriage. She agreed to the arranged marriage so the line of thought that she didn't choose is irrelevant hence the 'arranged marriage' portion of her relationship with her spouse. At no time did OP state her spouse was abusing her, only that he has mental health issues. It is up to her to decide if it is worth it or not. Nobody else can make the decision for her. It is absolutely fine that you don't agree with me. The world would be a rather boring place if we all think, see, acted in the same manner.

To answer your question about domestic abuse victims. I didn't 'stick it out' myself, so I damned sure wouldn't say someone else should. Maybe you should re read my response rather than assume I did.

Noah_Saaz

Star Member
Jun 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-ISBD - CHC London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 2012
Doc's Request.
November 2013
AOR Received.
October 2012
Med's Request
August 2014
Passport Req..
September 2014
VISA ISSUED...
September 2014
LANDED..........
January 2015
Alurra71 said:
The OP asked about getting a divorce in April, again in May and now in June.

Each time, the only question asked was "Will I lose my PR".

She just landed in January.

I would invite you both to read her previous posts. Her spouse was in fact working a job when she arrived in Canada according to her ...

... I had spent considerable time sitting here typing, then deleting, then retyping something else, only to realize the reason I can't come up with what I feel is a 'good' response is because I don't have to. Suffice it to say that the OP's posts all strike a chord with me that screams MOC.

@ Canuk:

I was neither judgmental nor advising the OP to stay in an abusive marriage. She agreed to the arranged marriage so the line of thought that she didn't choose is irrelevant hence the 'arranged marriage' portion of her relationship with her spouse. At no time did OP state her spouse was abusing her, only that he has mental health issues. It is up to her to decide if it is worth it or not. Nobody else can make the decision for her. It is absolutely fine that you don't agree with me. The world would be a rather boring place if we all think, see, acted in the same manner.

To answer your question about domestic abuse victims. I didn't 'stick it out' myself, so I damned sure wouldn't say someone else should. Maybe you should re read my response rather than assume I did.
To Leon and canuck_in_uk; I really appreciate your comments.

I am from a very conservative family-society in India, where a divorced girls are as good as garbage. I know that if I get back to India I will not be socially accepted let alone re-marry. Although I'd love to go back as I everything there.

I support my husband here, I am working at Elavon enterprise full time and studying Business accounting at Seneca collage part time as well as looking after him and his medication.

His is a patient of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, as per his psychiatrist namely Dr. David Katz Westrich, Five things I should be attentive about 1) He never drives a car 2) He never stand close to a height 3) He never stand close to a stove 4) Never left alone in a public place or let him go out on his own 5) Never force him to do a time limit task.

With all this It is hard for him to remember the routes, it is hard for him to stay attentive, he got panic easily, because of his delusion he says and do crazy stuff and gets angry and it is hard for me to control him as I am not as strong as him.

I am trying to streamline my affairs with him but its getting impossible. Considering my frustration my in-laws are threatening me deportation and abusing me. All they want from me is to babysit their son for the rest of his life.

Before coming to Canada, never have I thought that I would come to this point. I dreamt of a husband who is responsible, attentive, healthy, funny, educative, career oriented and supportive, so that I could raise a smart family with him.

This is beyond my strength.

I really appreciate the comments and supportive answers of senior member. And I really thank you.

Regards

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Alurra71 said:

Suffice it to say that the OP's posts all strike a chord with me that screams MOC.

She agreed to the arranged marriage so the line of thought that she didn't choose is irrelevant hence the 'arranged marriage' portion of her relationship with her spouse. At no time did OP state her spouse was abusing her, only that he has mental health issues. It is up to her to decide if it is worth it or not. Nobody else can make the decision for her. It is absolutely fine that you don't agree with me. The world would be a rather boring place if we all think, see, acted in the same manner.

I have read her previous posts. It is standard practice for me to read someone's posts before answering their thread so that I can know as much about their situation as possible to provide the best advice.

I would suggest that you do some research on arranged marriages. This situation may scream MOC to you but to me, all it screams is a poorly done arranged marriage where the woman got the raw end.

Your statement that she "agreed to the arranged marriage" speaks volumes. Many woman really don't have a choice.

You advise me to read her previous posts but it seems you didn't, as OP clearly stated previously that he was abusive.

Noah_Saaz said:
He says and do things that are way out of the definition of sanity. I am scared of him.
Noah_Saaz said:
My husband is abusive and threatening me deportation if I try to leave the relationship.

You should also read your own previous posts, as you most definitely judged her, especially with your comment that you would never act as she has if YOUR marriage hit that kind of roadblock and that YOUR reasons for immigrating are genuine whereas hers are not. Truth is, you have NO IDEA how you would act in that situation because yours was not an arranged marriage and you do not come from that culture. Telling her to try harder before she "just throws the marriage away", to "stand by him" etc., all of that is judgment.

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
Thw follwing links may help you.

http://settlement.org/ontario/daily-life/life-events/divorce/how-does-divorce-affect-my-immigration-status/

http://settlement.org/ontario/immigration-citizenship/sponsorship/after-the-application/sponsorship-breakdown/

Your in-laws CAN NOT deport you whatsoever