+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Concordia 45 credit master PGWP

MapleMoose

Jul 8, 2016
Hello, there seems to be many people going to concordia uni in montreal. I wanted to confirm something. The international desk told me that the programs are 2 years(24 months) but some people finish in 16 or so but they might get shorter PGWP. Can you tell which program and for how long you studied and what was your PGWP duration? I think the student desk might not be %100 knowledgeable and one should get 3 year PGWP if they studied at least 16 months non stop.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

MapleMoose said:
Hello, there seems to be many people going to concordia uni in montreal. I wanted to confirm something. The international desk told me that the programs are 2 years(24 months) but some people finish in 16 or so but they might get shorter PGWP. Can you tell which program and for how long you studied and what was your PGWP duration? I think the student desk might not be %100 knowledgeable and one should get 3 year PGWP if they studied at least 16 months non stop.

1. 16 months of academic program equals 2 years.
2. 45 credits are more than enough for 3 years of PGWP.

MapleMoose

Jul 8, 2016
Hello,

Thanks for your reply. The student desk seems to confuse their version of academic years with immigration's...In any case, they warned me that some students got shorter permits so I wanted to check with you guys. It would be quite funny if we cant get 3 years after studying so much...

MapleMoose

Jul 8, 2016
I need help with this scenario as well.
If we do like this

1st term: 3 lectures
2nd term: 1 lecture only
3rd term: 2 lectures and paper
4th term: term paper

will the 2nd term be problematic as it only has 1 lecture and will not be counted as a proper term?

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

MapleMoose said:
I need help with this scenario as well.
If we do like this

1st term: 3 lectures
2nd term: 1 lecture only
3rd term: 2 lectures and paper
4th term: term paper

will the 2nd term be problematic as it only has 1 lecture and will not be counted as a proper term?

If this is what school is offering as full time credit hours per term, you should be fine. It doesn't matter how many courses covers full time credits, it could be 1 or 5, depend on program structure.

MapleMoose

Jul 8, 2016
Thanks for your reply...

http://www.concordia.ca/students/financial-support/government-loans/quebec/definition-of-fulltimestudies.html

here it says you need 9 credits per term to be full time. thats why i was worried. i contacted the uni as well. hopefully it wont be a problem but i am worried that the immigration officer might have a look and be suspicious and give less PGWP since there is only one course in that term.

aircanada

May 27, 2014
MapleMoose said:
Don't finish in 16. Make sure you take 4 terms (sep-dec & jan-apr, sep-dec & jan-apr again)

aircanada

May 27, 2014
MapleMoose said:
Thanks for your reply...

http://www.concordia.ca/students/financial-support/government-loans/quebec/definition-of-fulltimestudies.html

here it says you need 9 credits per term to be full time. thats why i was worried. i contacted the uni as well. hopefully it wont be a problem but i am worried that the immigration officer might have a look and be suspicious and give less PGWP since there is only one course in that term.
As far as I know what's important is the letter that says you studied full time for the duration of the program. One course might be 9+ credits and that would still count as full time enrollment.

MapleMoose

Jul 8, 2016
16 months make 4 terms? i didnt understand why you said it? btw that one lecture per term is only 3 credits...would that make a difference?

aircanada

May 27, 2014
MapleMoose said:
16 months make 4 terms? i didnt understand why you said it? btw that one lecture per term is only 3 credits...would that make a difference?
If that one class is only 3 credits and the school defines full time as 9 credits that could mean trouble. You need to be a full time student for two academic years to get 3 year PGWP. It might still happen but it's risky.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

aircanada said:
If that one class is only 3 credits and the school defines full time as 9 credits that could mean trouble. You need to be a full time student for two academic years to get 3 year PGWP. It might still happen but it's risky.

And you think Concordia will "deliberately" put international students in part time courses when it's illegal for both to do so.

aircanada

May 27, 2014
J5M said:
Hi,

And you think Concordia will "deliberately" put international students in part time courses when it's illegal for both to do so.
The schools assume no responsibility and they often don't know how PGWP or Express Entry works. Neither do they design every program with international students in mind. I would be safe and enroll into a program that is actually full time for 2 years.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

aircanada said:
The schools assume no responsibility and they often don't know how PGWP or Express Entry works. Neither do they design every program with international students in mind. I would be safe and enroll into a program that is actually full time for 2 years.

Incorrect but not surprised at all!