+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Concerns about OOPNP

aa105942

Star Member
Jun 7, 2014
Hi guys,
I just received PT for OOPNP. I am thinking of sending of my application but I am confused about a few points. I know OOPNP is a new immigration stream and there are a lot of uncertainties about it but I would appreciate if you at least share your opinion on the following concerns.
1. I have worked in Canada for 13 months but I am currently unemployed. I didn’t find any information that CEC applicant need to be employed while their application is being assessed. Is it possible that they reject my application because I have no employment or job offer at the moment?
2. I am going to do my master in Quebec starting from September, 2015 but I have intention to live in Ontario. I can prove that by showing my property ownership certificate in Toronto, previous education and employment in Ontario, Car ownership in Ontario, as well as my social and family bonds in Toronto. Do you think being student in Quebec at the time my application is being processed would be an issue?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aa105942 said:
Hi guys,
I just received PT for OOPNP. I am thinking of sending of my application but I am confused about a few points. I know OOPNP is a new immigration stream and there are a lot of uncertainties about it but I would appreciate if you at least share your opinion on the following concerns.
1. I have worked in Canada for 13 months but I am currently unemployed. I didn't find any information that CEC applicant need to be employed while their application is being assessed. Is it possible that they reject my application because I have no employment or job offer at the moment?

Don't foresee that being a problem unless this caused your CRS to fall below 400 for some reason. Being employed currently is not an eligibility criteria (and hopefully not a selection criteria either) for OOPNP. If it were, they wouldn't be insisting on settlement funds proof from every applicant.

2. I am going to do my master in Quebec starting from September, 2015 but I have intention to live in Ontario. I can prove that by showing my property ownership certificate in Toronto, previous education and employment in Ontario, Car ownership in Ontario, as well as my social and family bonds in Toronto. Do you think being student in Quebec at the time my application is being processed would be an issue?

This could be a problem. If you've decided to leave Ontario for at least 1/2 years for your education (and who can foresee where the future will lead, sitting in the present) and OOPNP is aware of that, they might not look at your case very favorably. It would still be ok if you had received your nomination before stepping out to Quebec but this situation seems, at least to my CIC-untrained eyes, to be a grey area and possibly not leaning in your favor.