+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Concern Regarding NOC Descriptions/Guidelines

CarloB

Aug 8, 2020
Hello, I'm wondering if someone can offer up some advice and counsel regarding my specific circumstance. I am an Italian and British citizen currently residing in Milan, Italy and working full time as one of the Admissions Officers for a private fashion school here. I plan to move to Canada and use this work experience to gain points for express entry however I have some doubts regarding whether or not this job will be recognized as NOC skill level B.

You see, "Admissions Officer - Post-Secondary Educational Institution" can indeed be found in the titles listed under "Administrative Officers" (NOC 1221) which is a Skill B. However, the lead statement is not fully applicable to this position. The lead statement reads: Administrative officers oversee and implement administrative procedures, establish work priorities, conduct analyses of administrative operations and co-ordinate acquisition of administrative services such as office space, supplies and security services. They are employed throughout the private and public sectors. Administrative officers who are supervisors are included in this group.

I do oversee and implement adminsitrative procedures, most of which relate to the admission and enrollment of students, but the rest of the sentence that follows doesn't really apply. Not only that, but as far as the main duties are concerned, most of them are extraneous to my job, aside from the following: To carry out administrative activities associated with admissions to post-secondary educational institutions.

For this reason, I am concerned that when the time comes, the visa officer will say my job does not fall in this category, as it wouldn't match the lead statement 100% and not enough of the main duties would be fulfilled.

Having gone through the other jobs listed, I found quite a few that a) wouldn't match the the lead statement 100% and b) wouldn't fulfill most (or any) of the main duties listed. Ie. an Exam Invigilator certainly wouldn't be required to co-ordinate the aquisition of supplies, as the lead statement indicates. And as far as I can tell, their duties are not listed in the main duties section whatsoever.

Can someone please provide some clarity?

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
On the assumption that the NOC was not handed down on Mt Sinai, and admissions officer has a more narrowly defined scope of activity than the broad range of things a (generalist) administrative officer would do, you'll have to make a case that this is your NOC and that what you do fulfills the requirements for work experience.

CarloB

Aug 8, 2020
On the assumption that the NOC was not handed down on Mt Sinai, and admissions officer has a more narrowly defined scope of activity than the broad range of things a (generalist) administrative officer would do, you'll have to make a case that this is your NOC and that what you do fulfills the requirements for work experience.
Thank you for your response. Do you think there's any way for me to verify this in some official capacity ahead of time? What I'd like to avoid is finding out when it's too late to do anything about it.

Hooeful

Star Member
Sep 20, 2021
Hello, I'm wondering if someone can offer up some advice and counsel regarding my specific circumstance. I am an Italian and British citizen currently residing in Milan, Italy and working full time as one of the Admissions Officers for a private fashion school here. I plan to move to Canada and use this work experience to gain points for express entry however I have some doubts regarding whether or not this job will be recognized as NOC skill level B.

You see, "Admissions Officer - Post-Secondary Educational Institution" can indeed be found in the titles listed under "Administrative Officers" (NOC 1221) which is a Skill B. However, the lead statement is not fully applicable to this position. The lead statement reads: Administrative officers oversee and implement administrative procedures, establish work priorities, conduct analyses of administrative operations and co-ordinate acquisition of administrative services such as office space, supplies and security services. They are employed throughout the private and public sectors. Administrative officers who are supervisors are included in this group.

I do oversee and implement adminsitrative procedures, most of which relate to the admission and enrollment of students, but the rest of the sentence that follows doesn't really apply. Not only that, but as far as the main duties are concerned, most of them are extraneous to my job, aside from the following: To carry out administrative activities associated with admissions to post-secondary educational institutions.

For this reason, I am concerned that when the time comes, the visa officer will say my job does not fall in this category, as it wouldn't match the lead statement 100% and not enough of the main duties would be fulfilled.

Having gone through the other jobs listed, I found quite a few that a) wouldn't match the the lead statement 100% and b) wouldn't fulfill most (or any) of the main duties listed. Ie. an Exam Invigilator certainly wouldn't be required to co-ordinate the aquisition of supplies, as the lead statement indicates. And as far as I can tell, their duties are not listed in the main duties section whatsoever.

Can someone please provide some clarity?
HI, I know it's being years, did you get your PR. Which NOC did you use?