+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Computer based ielts

sivomsivom

Jun 21, 2018
Hi if anyone gives the computer based ielts please share your experience and your recommendations. And how their marking scheme.

frolicx

Oct 15, 2018
I recently took IELTS with the computer. I preferred this more than the traditional way. It's especially helpful when you have to do the Writing portion of the exam - you can go back and retype or rearrange your sentences. Editing the whole thing was a breeze. For me, in particular, my thoughts flow better typing than writing. So you might have to consider that.

They provide the computers with a screen attached in the front to avoid any cheating. There's also a sheet of paper if you need to write anything. This would be helpful when it comes to the listening (and probably, the reading) part of the exam.

Their marking scheme is still the usual - bands 1-9, depending on how you answer and your proficiency. More on it here: https://www.ielts.org/ielts-for-organisations/ielts-scoring-in-detail

13nitinsharma

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2012
Canada
I recently took IELTS with the computer. I preferred this more than the traditional way. It's especially helpful when you have to do the Writing portion of the exam - you can go back and retype or rearrange your sentences. Editing the whole thing was a breeze. For me, in particular, my thoughts flow better typing than writing. So you might have to consider that.

They provide the computers with a screen attached in the front to avoid any cheating. There's also a sheet of paper if you need to write anything. This would be helpful when it comes to the listening (and probably, the reading) part of the exam.

Their marking scheme is still the usual - bands 1-9, depending on how you answer and your proficiency. More on it here: https://www.ielts.org/ielts-for-organisations/ielts-scoring-in-detail
How much time it takes to get the result in computer based?

Jimmycan

Feb 7, 2019
Can anyone suggest on this.......... I was trying the sample papers for listening part.... and it was giving spelling errors and suggestions in that...... Does that happen in actual test also? Do you get spelling mistakes highlighted in the listening part? Writing part, I know it doesn't.......

hbrsid86

Star Member
Dec 26, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
13-05-2019
Passport Req..
15-11-2019
LANDED..........
11-09-2021
Can anyone suggest on this.......... I was trying the sample papers for listening part.... and it was giving spelling errors and suggestions in that...... Does that happen in actual test also? Do you get spelling mistakes highlighted in the listening part? Writing part, I know it doesn't.......
I didn't notice any highlighting or underlining in Listening. Since the spelling and grammar are crucial in the paper-based test, it should matter in the computer-based as well.

Reactions: Jimmycan

Jimmycan

Feb 7, 2019
I didn't notice any highlighting or underlining in Listening. Since the spelling and grammar are crucial in the paper-based test, it should matter in the computer-based as well.
Thanks buddy........ will take care of this while appearing in test....... Hopefully, I could clear it....... Still not sure whether this one is better than manual IELTS...... preferring this only due to my lack of interaction with pencil & eraser since long and I am comfortable in typing....... How did you find it....... Computer based Vs Manual ..... Which one is easy .... ???

hbrsid86

Star Member
Dec 26, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
13-05-2019
Passport Req..
15-11-2019
LANDED..........
11-09-2021
Thanks buddy........ will take care of this while appearing in test....... Hopefully, I could clear it....... Still not sure whether this one is better than manual IELTS...... preferring this only due to my lack of interaction with pencil & eraser since long and I am comfortable in typing....... How did you find it....... Computer based Vs Manual ..... Which one is easy .... ???
I can only speak for myself but I personally think he computer-based is a bit easier than the paper-based. The questions are the same, however, you can copy-paste words from the passage directly in the Reading section for example (avoid misspelling by mistake this way), it also shows you at the bottom of the page if you missed any question and you can jump back and forth quickly. The Listening section was easier for me because now you just click answers or type them so it is faster and you don't miss as much as if you would by writing by hand (that is for people who are slower at writing like me). The biggest impact is in the Writing because you can quickly type out the common stuff in the letter for example and then fill out the intro,body and conclusions. Rearranging and deleting things makes it a lot easier to edit whatever you write and you see a word count so you can always know how much more you need to type. Oh and you can adjust the font size and make it larger or choose from a few background and font color options.

You can search on youtube where I had seen at least one woman who shares exact samples of how the computer-based test looks like.

Jimmycan

Feb 7, 2019
I can only speak for myself but I personally think he computer-based is a bit easier than the paper-based. The questions are the same, however, you can copy-paste words from the passage directly in the Reading section for example (avoid misspelling by mistake this way), it also shows you at the bottom of the page if you missed any question and you can jump back and forth quickly. The Listening section was easier for me because now you just click answers or type them so it is faster and you don't miss as much as if you would by writing by hand (that is for people who are slower at writing like me). The biggest impact is in the Writing because you can quickly type out the common stuff in the letter for example and then fill out the intro,body and conclusions. Rearranging and deleting things makes it a lot easier to edit whatever you write and you see a word count so you can always know how much more you need to type. Oh and you can adjust the font size and make it larger or choose from a few background and font color options.

You can search on youtube where I had seen at least one woman who shares exact samples of how the computer-based test looks like.
Thanks a ton buddy for such a detailed explanation..... I guess I m more like you..... don't want to write much but prefer typing..... seems this will suit me...... one last thing, I tried a lot finding on you tube for samples...... just msz me links if you get some time to find any...... thanks, take care.....

Mauriss

Star Member
Apr 24, 2019
Please, I'm not so fast at typing but it's way better than my writing speed. Should I consider taking the Computer Delivered Ielts?