+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COMPLICATED!

kashgrewal

Star Member
Jan 9, 2018
hey can i invite my father on visitors visa even my dad and my mom are divorced? my mom is on WP im an dependent

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
well my mom actually declared widowed even she was not on her visitors visa and now on WP
Yeah, that's funny, but in the end, it may not be too relevant.
I don't believe your dad will have to declare your mom in his application if they are already divorced. Just answer the application honestly if it's there though.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
okay but should he declare divorced or widowed? please help
Your mom must inform IRCC that she had incorrectly selected 'Widow' as her marital status for her visa applications. She must also include a copy of her divorce decree.

If your dad mentions his marital status as 'Divorced' which contradicts your mom's marital status of 'Widow', it could be viewed as misrepresentation (for either or both of them).

I suggest your dad applies for his TRV only after your mom has informed IRCC

kashgrewal

Star Member
Jan 9, 2018
Your mom must inform IRCC that she had incorrectly selected 'Widow' as her marital status for her visa applications. She must also include a copy of her divorce decree.

If your dad mentions his marital status as 'Divorced' which contradicts your mom's marital status of 'Widow', it could be viewed as misrepresentation (for either or both of them).

I suggest your dad applies for his TRV only after your mom has informed IRCC
thanks

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
what if i send him an invitation letter do i have to mention that im living with my mom?
You need to provide your residence address in Canada. As a dependent of your mom, do you live away from your mom?

It's not about the address that you will provide. Your dad must truthfully declare that he had divorced your mom.

Now this contradicts what your mom had declared as her marital status for at least two visa applications (her TRV + her WP). IMO, someone could make a mistake/an incorrect selection once, but not twice for two successive visa applications.

IMO again, marital status is not something that someone can make an unintentional mistake. Maybe in some cases where the applicant misunderstands the 'Single' and 'Unmarried' options. But, 'Widow' and 'Divorced' are two entirely different scenarios

kashgrewal

Star Member
Jan 9, 2018
You need to provide your residence address in Canada. As a dependent of your mom, do you live away from your mom?

It's not about the address that you will provide. Your dad must truthfully declare that he had divorced your mom.

Now this contradicts what your mom had declared as her marital status for at least two visa applications (her TRV + her WP). IMO, someone could make a mistake/an incorrect selection once, but not twice for two successive visa applications.

IMO again, marital status is not something that someone can make an unintentional mistake. Maybe in some cases where the applicant misunderstands the 'Single' and 'Unmarried' options. But, 'Widow' and 'Divorced' are two entirely different scenarios
i live with my mom and if my dad got his visa he is gonna live with 2 of us. what options do i have sir? because we really cant leave him alone there must be some way

kashgrewal

Star Member
Jan 9, 2018

and if my dad can prove that he is divorced then what about my mom's martial status because she declared widowed.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
i live with my mom and if my dad got his visa he is gonna live with 2 of us. what options do i have sir? because we really cant leave him alone there must be some way
Is your dad planning to move/remain long-term on a TRV/visitor visa? This is not possible

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
and if my dad can prove that he is divorced then what about my mom's martial status because she declared widowed.
It is best for your mom to be honest with IRCC and declare her true marital status (with evidence).

In the present scenario, as per your mom's declaration that she is a widow, it means that your dad is not alive. This implies you/your mom can never invite someone who is deceased, right? Truly sorry to put it into perspective this way.

Your dad would have to mention about your mom and you in his Family Information form of the TRV application. Not mentioning about you/your mom in the Family Information form = Misrepresentation = Could possibly lead to him being banned for 5-years.

If he does mention about you and your mom in the Family Information form then IRCC will investigate your mom's previous visa applications and she may be given a 5-years ban for misrepresentation as well. You would also be directly affected in case your mom is banned.

Again, it is best if your mom informs IRCC that she made a mistake when declaring her marital status for her two visa applications.

The key questions:
1. Did your mom/dad legally file for divorce in a competent court and obtain a court decree for divorce? Or

2. Are your parents simply separated (not a judicial separation)?

3. Do your parents have a marriage certificate + other records/evidence of their marriage?

Last edited: