+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

complicated status for working permit application

bel

Jul 20, 2012
hi everyone. can somebody help me on what to put for my marital status. i am married but my husband and i were seperated already for almost 6 months and i dont have any communications with him at all. i am about to fill up my status. i want to put legally separated but just a question, does the CIC will ask for more documents regarding this matter? would they ask me about my status? urgently need your help with this matter.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I don't know if they will ask for documents, but if you select "legally separated", that implies you actually have documents to this fact. If yo ustill want to go with that option, write an explanation. Either way, you are going to have to do something about your marital status especially if you plan to apply for permanent residence.

bel

Jul 20, 2012
thank you...so if i plan to declare at first as married because i am still married and i don t have any documents for the said legally separated, would it be fine for the moment. but then the problem is during my permanent resident application. will writing the CIC explaining to them my situation will be enough..please give me some advice or any suggestion everyone. I don't know my ex-husband's whereabouts.....

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo closed > Ottawa > Finalized in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF-September 14th, 2012
File Transfer...
7/23/12 > Ottawa 10/9/12 > LA
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR issued Oct. 29, 2012 DM November 6th, 2012
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
When you send in your app mark married, on another piece of paper write and explanation that you are separated and have been for 6 months. let them know you don't communicate with him. I'm not sure how long the work permit takes but in that period of time if you do get legally separated or divorced you can update it then.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Agree with Creampop.

Don't worry if you don't know his whereabouts. If the marriage can't be saved, look into the legal separation thing and try to gather proof of when you became separated e.g. when you stopped having joint accounts, car/house lease or mortgage, etc. You have already been separated for 6 months, so 6 months from now(1 year total) that is further proof that the marriage has broken down irretrivably and you should be able to get the divorce decree by time you apply for permanent residence.

This information is based on what my friend went through.

bel said:
thank you...so if i plan to declare at first as married because i am still married and i don t have any documents for the said legally separated, would it be fine for the moment. but then the problem is during my permanent resident application. will writing the CIC explaining to them my situation will be enough..please give me some advice or any suggestion everyone. I don't know my ex-husband's whereabouts.....

ashayein

Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for bringing up this issue... I have a friend in similar situation (legally separated, has documents) yet to get the divorce ( from Indian court , waiting 10 years!)
Even though he opts for " legally separated" option... do we still requires his ex-wife's signature and obtain Medical Records when he is appling for CIC either (FWP or CEC) ? Any Advise would be much appreciated.

SenoritaBella said:
Agree with Creampop.

Don't worry if you don't know his whereabouts. If the marriage can't be saved, look into the legal separation thing and try to gather proof of when you became separated e.g. when you stopped having joint accounts, car/house lease or mortgage, etc. You have already been separated for 6 months, so 6 months from now(1 year total) that is further proof that the marriage has broken down irretrivably and you should be able to get the divorce decree by time you apply for permanent residence.

This information is based on what my friend went through.

gracy016

Star Member
Jun 21, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-22-13
Doc's Request.
12-30-13 (RPRF & Biodata)
AOR Received.
04-30-13
Med's Request
12-31-13
Med's Done....
01-08-14
Passport Req..
02-21-14
VISA ISSUED...
02-28-14
LANDED..........
03-09-14
bel said:
Hi Bel,

I'm just wondering what happened to your application? what kind of proof did CIC requires for your legally separated status? Thanks..

Wanna_be_ArEn

Feb 2, 2013
I actually have more questions than answers as I am in the same boat. Legally married in the Philippines but already separated (without any legal documentation) for 4 years before coming to Canada as LiC. Now that I am about to approach my 24th month as LiC, I am conflicted as to what I am to put into my marital status in my OWP and PR. I already have a common-law partner back home. I don't know what to put in my application?

Been researching on this topic and see what the province of BC has to say. According to them:

"How do I know if I am legally separated? When two people, who have been living together in a marriage or marriage-like relationship, decide not to live together any more, they are separated. There is no such thing as a "legal" separation; if you are living apart, you are separated."

source:
BC Website under Justice » Family Justice » Basics of Family Law » Separation and Divorce
[tr][td]

Honestly this poses more questions than answers. So is it safe to say that I am separated now because I am not living with my spouse? Anybody care to help us out?