+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Complicated - Sponsoring an American

AMBillings

May 10, 2016
Ponga said:
I can't help but wonder if this is really a moot point.

The OP states that s/he will be [hopefully] residing in Canada, while commuting to the office in Seattle, 2x per week, during the one year period to establish Common-Law. Will s/he be staying overnight in Seattle, thus only spending 5 days (and nights) out of 7 in Vancouver, or traveling back to Vancouver each night?

If it's the former, I wonder what happens when the PR application is being processed. Would CIC not see this as a full one year period of cohabiting?

I know that once Common-Law has been established, it's usually not an issue, but...before it has been established, CIC couldn't deny the application?
I hadn't even thought of that issue. My intention was to drive down one day, spend the night with a friend or AirBnB, and then drive home the following day. But even if I was in Canada both calendar days, I'm curious if they're counting the number of days I'm in the country or the number I'm out??

This seems to be getting more and more complicated. I plan on calling CIC first thing tomorrow and see what they recommend.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AMBillings said:
I hadn't even thought of that issue. My intention was to drive down one day, spend the night with a friend or AirBnB, and then drive home the following day. But even if I was in Canada both calendar days, I'm curious if they're counting the number of days I'm in the country or the number I'm out??

This seems to be getting more and more complicated. I plan on calling CIC first thing tomorrow and see what they recommend.
Unfortunately, that may not yield any fruit. The Call Centre is notorious for giving out incorrect information, which is both shocking and disheartening for those that simply need a straight answer. Even after an application has been submitted, meaning that real money has been paid to CIC for their service, you still have to play `Spin the Wheel of Knowledge' when calling them. At the very least, the paying customers should have access to a second tier of phone support; you know, someone that can actually answer the question.

I think you really only have two choices:

1. Implement your plan and hope that you reach the one year anniversary of [possible] cohabiting. Then submit the sponsorship application and cross your fingers.

2. Seriously consider marriage if it's even a remote possibility.