+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Complicated situation

Scorpica

Feb 12, 2019
I hope someone can help me with this. I need help.

I am a Malaysian who have been working in Singapore for the last 8 years. I am 30 years old. I have been accepted at Blanche MacDonald for their fashion marketing program. I have worked in the industry for 5 years

Here's the thing. I made full payment and had my LoA issued to me on October but I haven't applied for the study permit. I will be applying it this week, will that be an issue?

Another thing is I resigned from my job in Singapore in January and am now unemployed and living with my parents. Mainly because my intake date is in July and I want to spend a few months at home in Malaysia with my family. I had never thought about the factor in a rejection now I'm a little worried.

I am also paying everything out from my own savings. I really did not want to be refused because all my savings are on this. It has been my dream to study abroad since I was young. The only ties I have with my country are my parents who are now in the 50's going 60 soon but I do want to return after my studies to support them as its only me and my sister but how can I prove it?

Scorpica

Feb 12, 2019
You should not have quit your job, applying for study permit while being employed proves that you are employable in your country and in a way helps prove your ties.
Paying out of own savings is not a problem at all till the time you have enough to cover for tuition and living costs. Also, it's not too late to apply, you actually have plenty of time.
Good luck!
Thank you.

However one factor is, I have never been working in Malaysia this whole time unless you count a few odd jobs. So how would I have proven ties with my country if I were working in Singapore. My own family's home in Malaysia is shared in my name though.

Would it be feasible if I explained that the diploma will help my career in Singapore?

Scorpica

Feb 12, 2019
I could be wrong but being unemployed makes you look like you are struggling in your country, the irony in this statement is that the reason for seeking training/education abroad is to become more employable. Think about it this way, a person who is willing to invest all their savings in education and is willing to move abroad for school who has no job at home and is 30 years old, most likely will try to stay in Canada and work. While dual-intent is allowed, TRV applicants still have to prove that they will honor the conditions on temporary stay and return home at end.
Yes, your LOE should contain all the reasons for what you expect to make out of this education and why it's an important step in your career.

I have only been unemployed for less than a month at this stage. I quit my job because I want a career break in my home country. However I still intend on going back to Singapore in the future.

I have travelled around quite a lot the past 5 years, mainly to the UK and Europe for holiday. Hopefully that will help more with my case because I know overstaying in a country then getting banned is really not worth it.