+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Completely confused -------please help?

goreilly

Mar 4, 2010
My and my 'common law partner' have just started reading into all of the application stuff and we are hearing so manydifferent things from people. We cant afford a lawyer so any information that anyone can give will help.

We are here on a 1 year working visa which expires in the end of June My partner is a Carpenter so has a skilled trade and is ticketed. We really want to stay for a few years so from what I can gather we must apply for an extension on our visa and also residency. The extension should cover us while we wait for the residency, correct? I have heard about an LMO also is this the same as and extension on a visa?

Also, I have given the forms a shot and there a few things I am not sure about. On the Statutory declaration of common-law. Which Country and Province should I put in, Canada BC, the one I am currently in? Also where it says our names and lists two countries (of and in) is this the country we are from and the country we are currently in or if we have been living in the same place for almost a year is of and in the same country? :eek:

Thank you

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
No, an LMO (Labor Market Opinion) is not a visa extension. It is an approval to hire a foreign worker. The employer usually has to get a positive LMO before they can hire a foreign worker. The LMO is one of the required documents to submit with the application to extend a work permit.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/lmo-basics.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/RESOURCES/PUBLICATIONS/tfw-guide.asp

But to give you a more complete answer, we'd need to know what province you are in. It would also be helpful to know how you go the first permit.