+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

complete name in family name on canadian passport

singhjoy88

Jul 4, 2013
Hi,
I recently got my canadian citizenship. Indeed it is good news but there is one tiny problem as my full name printed in family name.

Lets say my name "xyz jit kaur". On my indian passport, my full name was written in Given name column and surname was blank.
Here in canada they put full name in the surname field therefore, now when I applied for passport it is printed similar to my citizenship certificate i.e. full name printed in the surname field and given name field is left as "XXX".

I am wondering will it impact any thing? Has someone thought to changed it? What process did they took? If not changed, is there any problems person can face?

Any real time experience would be helpful

Regard
Joy

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

singhjoy88 said:
Hi,
I recently got my canadian citizenship. Indeed it is good news but there is one tiny problem as my full name printed in family name.

Lets say my name "xyz jit kaur". On my indian passport, my full name was written in Given name column and surname was blank.
Here in canada they put full name in the surname field therefore, now when I applied for passport it is printed similar to my citizenship certificate i.e. full name printed in the surname field and given name field is left as "XXX".

I am wondering will it impact any thing? Has someone thought to changed it? What process did they took? If not changed, is there any problems person can face?

Regard
Joy
1. Nope, if you don't have a surname, your given names are listed in the surname space and your given names are blank as they have done.
2. Only change you can make is a name change in the province where you reside to add a surname.

singhjoy88

Jul 4, 2013
Thanks PMM

i dont have any surname. As long as it is not going to create a problem i would not do any change...:)

Manny02

Star Member
Sep 21, 2021
Hey i was just replying this in another thread - so now you can cut short in a month - by changing your legal name - like breaking it into 2 parts- and then go to service canada . So i did a quick look - i think under PPTC 153E is the new form where they accept -new legal name document with old name Certificate to issue passport in new name..
I am still in the process and dont have a CC so umm- if anyone can contact service canada and update me -that they lifted the requirement for CC having new name that be great.
Thanks
M

Shibu770

Oct 18, 2023
Hi,

Regard
Joy
Hello Joy,
I hope by now the issue you stated above might have been resolved.
I also recently got my Canadian citizenship and facing the same problem. My full name is mentioned in the family name in ny citizenship certificate whereas in my Indian passport my full name is in Given name.

for this reason I haven’t applied for my Canadian passport yet thinking it might create any issue for my OCI.

May i know how did you rectify this inorder to get your oci if you got one.

Appreciate your help and response in this query. Thanks in advance!

Jkaur1993

Dec 14, 2019
Hi,

Regard
Joy
Hi, I have same issue. What changes you have done now?