+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Complete driver's abstract for BC license

Danaan

Star Member
Jan 23, 2017
Virginia, USA
App. Filed.......
15-05-2017
I'll be landing in BC as a permanent resident and will need to exchange my US driver's license. I'm currently licensed in Washington State, but have only been here 2 years. I've been driving since 1978, and lived in multiple states. The driver's abstract I got from the department of licensing here only covers the time I've been a state resident, but my understanding is that Canada requires something that shows my entire driving history from my first license. How do I get that? am I misunderstanding the requirement?

27aroy

Jun 29, 2020
If you have 2 + years they will swap to a Full DL. Here is the link : https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/Pages/Moving-from-another-country.aspx

You will have 90 days to drive with your US license. One more thing check your present license issue date. it has to be 2 + years before you go for a license swap in icbc. This has happened to me. Otherwise get a drivers record to prove your drivers record. I drove 8 years in US but based on my current license since the issued date was 2019 i was not getting full DL in BC. So i had to get from full record from MA drivers record which had my old issue date that covered the 2 years. Do this before you come here.

This drivers record will help for car insurance (this will reduce your monthly premium) you will need previous states driving records get it in physical form before you come. They do not take downloadable format. It's just annoying..but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danaan

Danaan

Star Member
Jan 23, 2017
Virginia, USA
App. Filed.......
15-05-2017
If you have 2 + years they will swap to a Full DL. Here is the link : https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/Pages/Moving-from-another-country.aspx

You will have 90 days to drive with your US license. One more thing check your present license issue date. it has to be 2 + years before you go for a license swap in icbc. This has happened to me. Otherwise get a drivers record to prove your drivers record. I drove 8 years in US but based on my current license since the issued date was 2019 i was not getting full DL in BC. So i had to get from full record from MA drivers record which had my old issue date that covered the 2 years. Do this before you come here.

This drivers record will help for car insurance (this will reduce your monthly premium) you will need previous states driving records get it in physical form before you come. They do not take downloadable format. It's just annoying..but it is what it is.
Thank you. I will have just over 2 years on my WA license, so if that's good enough for BC it's good enough for me.

datamonger

Sep 21, 2020

Hi 27aroy, Did ICBC accept your driving records when you physically met them? Their website says it needs to be emailed or faxed from the licensing authority? Thanks.