+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

compassionate reasons entry validity period

marta12

Sep 5, 2017
Italy
Hi,
my parents have been approved to come to canada for compassionate reasons. The letter they received from PHAC states:
validity period: 1 month.

I think that means they have to travel within one month of its approval (it was approved august 18th, so enter by septemebr 18th). But once they are in Canada they can stay as long as their eTA (or border officer) allows, is that right? Because they are actually planning to travel mid-september and stay for a few months.

I would appreciate if anyone can confirm, thank you!

swsood1686

Mar 17, 2015
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06 -Jan - 2016 (OINP)
Doc's Request.
19 -Nov -2016 (OINP)
Nomination.....
30 -Nov -2016 (OINP)
AOR Received.
19 - Feb - 2017 (eApr)
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
15-08-2017
Hi,
my parents have been approved to come to canada for compassionate reasons. The letter they received from PHAC states:

I think that means they have to travel within one month of its approval (it was approved august 18th, so enter by septemebr 18th). But once they are in Canada they can stay as long as their eTA (or border officer) allows, is that right? Because they are actually planning to travel mid-september and stay for a few months.

Hi @marta12 , I have also applied for approval from PHAC on compassionate basis, in how many days did you receive the approval from PHAC?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Usually the PHAC also specifies the length of the stay in Canada as well to direct CBSA. They are also usually one time entry visas. You can attempt to extend but PHAC is only for very specific purposes usually sudden emergencies like a funeral, emergency serious health issue like car accident, heart attack, palliative care, etc. People are applying incorrectly for things like childbirth.

marta12

Sep 5, 2017
Italy
Usually the PHAC also specifies the length of the stay in Canada as well to direct CBSA. They are also usually one time entry visas. You can attempt to extend but PHAC is only for very specific purposes usually sudden emergencies like a funeral, emergency serious health issue like car accident, heart attack, palliative care, etc. People are applying incorrectly for things like childbirth.
My parents applied to help me out during my last trimester of pregnancy, as I have a toddler and no family around. They are planning to stay a few months after baby is born. Before applying for compassionate reasons we did apply to CBSA, but their approval was denied, so we tried PHAC and got approved. On the letter it states the letter is valid for one month, but does not indicate how long they can stay.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My parents applied to help me out during my last trimester of pregnancy, as I have a toddler and no family around. They are planning to stay a few months after baby is born. Before applying for compassionate reasons we did apply to CBSA, but their approval was denied, so we tried PHAC and got approved. On the letter it states the letter is valid for one month, but does not indicate how long they can stay.
They may have not specified in your case.

marta12

Sep 5, 2017
Italy
Hi Marta, did you parents finally made it? how long did it take to receive answer from PHAC? did they get an approval on the length of the stay in Canada?
They got approval from phac in about 3 days. As.per the length of their stay in Canada they're allowed to stay as long as their eTa allows, which is max 6 months. They weren't asked anything at the border.