Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2015
Doc's Request.
21-11-2015
Nomination.....
23-11-2015
ragz306 said:
rhasan tell me 1 thng, if i buy laptop frm there and aftr 1 year i'l cm bck to india, if its broken or i mean if it needs repairing will it b repaird or nt? Coz my frnd had to send the laptop to canada :( i just want to clearify thirg doubt
Well generally, laptops come with 1 year warranty and in some cases, it above that (or you can buy it).

I am pretty sure that you can repair any thing in India. Maybe your friend's laptop model was not available in India and thus had to ship it to Canada or maybe his warranty was only for Canada (in most of the cases, warranties are countrywide unless you pay extra for international ones).

Huzaifa_j

Star Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visa Office......
riyadh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-9-11
IELTS Request
VISA ISSUED...
31-10-11
Guys u forgetting 1 thing
We have to pay big havey tax on electronics.

ragz306

Aug 19, 2011
jalandhar,punjab
Visa Office......
VFS-chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-10-2011
IELTS Request
6.0 BAND
Med's Done....
yes
VISA ISSUED...
19-10-2011
LANDED..........
bs pohnch gye smjho :D
Huzaifa_j said:
Guys u forgetting 1 thing
We have to pay big havey tax on electronics.
bhaijaan tax to tab lagega na agar hum vahan se khareed k seedha hi apni home country mein leke aayein without even opening the packing.,.agar hum use kar rhe hain fir sath mein leke aye fir kyu lagega custom

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rhasan said:
Laptop:

It is a definite choice to buy laptop from Canada. There are various programs within the universities that offers special price for the students. Like some universities have affiliation with Apple while others have with Dell, Toshiba, etc. So you should check out the university affiliation once you reach Canada. There are vast discounts at the end of the year till the beginning of the new year.

People mostly use MAC over here because most of the things are actually optimized for MACs. Like if you are an engineering student and you need to access remote UNIX/Linux servers, you can easily do it with MAC while for windows, you will have to rely on 3rd party software. And MAC is just awesome to hold :p

Mobile:

Mobile phones are somewhat the same price over here. I think its cheaper in counties like UAE. Like Galaxy S II/ Iphone 4S costs around $700 + TAX if you go for the unlocked ones. So you do your calculation. But it is better to buy cell from here because I have heard numerous people complaining that phone (which they bought from back home) doesn't work over here. But if you can get a world phone (works on both CDMA/GSM) network, then you are good to go.

About lovely_16's last comment on the pricing of Iphone 4S and its availability. It is already available in Canada (since 14th Oct) on all the major carriers. And about the price, its $159.99 on most of the carrier BUT with a "THREE YEARS CONTRACT". That means, you will have to stick with the network for 3 years!!!!!! And that's also with a $50+ plan (with any Iphone or superphone, you have to have $50+ plan, no exception). Now let me show you a small calculation:

Price of the phone: $159.99
$50 plan for 3 years: 50x12x3 = $1,800
So you have to pay around $2000 to get the phone and a plan with loads of limitations (like 200mins local + limited access to provincial and long distance calls + no caller ID + 500mb data)

But if you get a Iphone 4s unlocked one for $599 and get a plan for like $30 (you can get unlimited packages), so over the 3 years, you will be spending around $1600, thats a $400 savings.

Now, you may think, HEY I CAN TERMINATE MY CONTRACT! Yes you can but you will have to pay termination fee which is equal to $10 x (number of months till 3 years).

My point in this elaboration was, not to be excited by the looking at the price of the "contract" based phones. There are loads of catches!

There are carriers like Virgin whom you can pay back the price of the phone in installments but then again, you will have to have a $50+ plan if you get a smartphone. I took a $75 plan with Galaxy S II and every month, 10% of the bill goes towards adjusting the price of the phone and I can terminate the plan anytime I want by just paying the remaining balance of the phone. If you ask me why I took this plan, well I got the phone for free from virgin by taking this plan so instead of paying $599.99, I m just paying $450.

Carriers are hell expensive over here (there are some which offers unbelievable rates but HEY, their network is so bad that you won't be able to use their "awesome" plans) and I had my fair deal of trouble of going through all these so I thought of helping out :)

Very informative post.

ad singh

May 23, 2011
Visa Office......
CHC CHD
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
31 March 2015
Nomination.....
15 March 2016
AOR Received.
18 April 2016
IELTS Request
8 BANDS
Med's Request
1 November 2016
Med's Done....
10 November 2016
Passport Req..
27-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
28-03-2018
I agree with ragz , whenever we bring "one " laptop with us..it doesn't attract custom duty . One has to just give a declaration of items brought into india. A personal laptop doesnt attract any custom duty under Indian customs act . ;D

sofiasofia

Jul 25, 2011
Thnkssssssssssssss RHasan ........................
:)
u rewly provided a clear picture of whole thing..actually i olready knew abo dis contract basis plan ..n i wudnt go for it ..........................
noww tell me 1 thing which smartphon is good ...from SAMsung,Nokia,blackberyy ....????????????
as i PHONE wud be tooo xpensive for me :(
so i wont go for approx $700
...any other cellphone ........tell em shud i buy it from INDIA or from dere only .......................

rhasan said:
Laptop:

It is a definite choice to buy laptop from Canada. There are various programs within the universities that offers special price for the students. Like some universities have affiliation with Apple while others have with Dell, Toshiba, etc. So you should check out the university affiliation once you reach Canada. There are vast discounts at the end of the year till the beginning of the new year.

People mostly use MAC over here because most of the things are actually optimized for MACs. Like if you are an engineering student and you need to access remote UNIX/Linux servers, you can easily do it with MAC while for windows, you will have to rely on 3rd party software. And MAC is just awesome to hold :p

Mobile:

Mobile phones are somewhat the same price over here. I think its cheaper in counties like UAE. Like Galaxy S II/ Iphone 4S costs around $700 + TAX if you go for the unlocked ones. So you do your calculation. But it is better to buy cell from here because I have heard numerous people complaining that phone (which they bought from back home) doesn't work over here. But if you can get a world phone (works on both CDMA/GSM) network, then you are good to go.

About lovely_16's last comment on the pricing of Iphone 4S and its availability. It is already available in Canada (since 14th Oct) on all the major carriers. And about the price, its $159.99 on most of the carrier BUT with a "THREE YEARS CONTRACT". That means, you will have to stick with the network for 3 years!!!!!! And that's also with a $50+ plan (with any Iphone or superphone, you have to have $50+ plan, no exception). Now let me show you a small calculation:

Price of the phone: $159.99
$50 plan for 3 years: 50x12x3 = $1,800
So you have to pay around $2000 to get the phone and a plan with loads of limitations (like 200mins local + limited access to provincial and long distance calls + no caller ID + 500mb data)

But if you get a Iphone 4s unlocked one for $599 and get a plan for like $30 (you can get unlimited packages), so over the 3 years, you will be spending around $1600, thats a $400 savings.

Now, you may think, HEY I CAN TERMINATE MY CONTRACT! Yes you can but you will have to pay termination fee which is equal to $10 x (number of months till 3 years).

My point in this elaboration was, not to be excited by the looking at the price of the "contract" based phones. There are loads of catches!

There are carriers like Virgin whom you can pay back the price of the phone in installments but then again, you will have to have a $50+ plan if you get a smartphone. I took a $75 plan with Galaxy S II and every month, 10% of the bill goes towards adjusting the price of the phone and I can terminate the plan anytime I want by just paying the remaining balance of the phone. If you ask me why I took this plan, well I got the phone for free from virgin by taking this plan so instead of paying $599.99, I m just paying $450.

Carriers are hell expensive over here (there are some which offers unbelievable rates but HEY, their network is so bad that you won't be able to use their "awesome" plans) and I had my fair deal of trouble of going through all these so I thought of helping out :)

rhasan

May 3, 2011
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2015
Doc's Request.
21-11-2015
Nomination.....
23-11-2015
sofiasofia said:
Thnkssssssssssssss RHasan ........................
u rewly provided a clear picture of whole thing..actually i olready knew abo dis contract basis plan ..n i wudnt go for it ..........................
noww tell me 1 thing which smartphon is good ...from SAMsung,Nokia,blackberyy ....????????????
as i PHONE wud be tooo xpensive for me :(
so i wont go for approx $700
...any other cellphone ........tell em shud i buy it from INDIA or from dere only .......................
All the recent smartphones like iphone 4S, Samsung Galaxy S II, Motorola Droids, HTCs are almost priced the same and its around $600-$700. There are some older smartphones like HTC wildfire which can costs around $200-$300. Blackberry's plans are generally cheaper (they give unlimited data + its canadian so obviously cheaper plan that other phones) and carriers give them away for free with plans.

Getting unlocked phones over here it a bit hassle since shops don't sell unlocked ones (they sell only the old ones). You have to order it online. So it really depends on you what method you would like to use in this case.

Heads up: to get a contract phone, you will need to have a credit card (MUST) and a photo ID (passport will do) and since your credit card is going to be without any credit history, you will have to keep some deposit.

sofiasofia

Jul 25, 2011
thnksssssssssssssss rhasan ..........
i will go for bLAckberry !
n ill get iphone wen i ll be having ample amount of money ...........!!!!!!
so i shudnt buy any cell from india ..rite !????????????????
thnkssssssssss

rhasan

May 3, 2011
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2015
Doc's Request.
21-11-2015
Nomination.....
23-11-2015
sofiasofia said:
thnksssssssssssssss rhasan ..........
i will go for bLAckberry !
n ill get iphone wen i ll be having ample amount of money ...........!!!!!!
so i shudnt buy any cell from india ..rite !????????????????
thnkssssssssss
Well if you can make it ABSOLUTELY sure that the phone you are planning to get from india will work over here, then go for it (like I said, world phone) or else get it from here. You should be able to get an unlocked blackberry for around $300-$400 over here. Even my friend's N82 (GSM) did not work with Fido (one of the very few GSM carrier over here) although N82 supports quad band.