+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Company secretary job in canada

lawyer007

Jul 10, 2014
Hi all,
I am an Indian student pursuing CS (company secretary) fron ICSI (India). I also have a B. Com. Degree. I am about to complete my final year of CS. I had some questions regarding company or corporate secretary jobs in canada as i want to migrate to canada.
Here are somethings i wanted to inquire about:
1. I have a b.com + CS (ICSI) degree now which canadian course do i need to do to get a company secretary job in canada? And can i pursue it from India itself?
2. Do i need some work experience here in India before going to canada. If yes then how many years?
3. I want to pursue an MBA too so should i do it over here in India while i am working or would it be better if i do it in canada itself?

These are some of the doubts i am facing . It would be very helpful if you could give me some info regarding this. I would really apreciate your help.
Thank you.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
by "company secretary" do you mean administrative or executive assistant? I am not sure I understand what profession you are referring to.

Reactions: ashucan

lawyer007

Jul 10, 2014
administrative services:
Advising companies on Compliance of legal and procedural aspects, particularly under –
SEBI Act, SCRA and rules and regulations made thereunder
Foreign Exchange Management Act
Consumer Protection Act
Depositories Act
Environment and Pollution Control Laws
Labour and Industrial Laws
Co-operative Societies Act
Mergers and Amalgamations and Strategic Alliances
Foreign Collaborations and Joint Ventures
Setting up subsidiaries abroad
Competition Policy and Anti Competitive Practices
IPR Protection, Management, Valuation and Audit
Drafting of Legal documents.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
i suspect then you will want to look up "paralegal" certification courses in canada. Paralegals are the administrative assistants (secretaries) for attorney's, and require certification to be hired. I would guess there are online courses for this.

Other than the legal industry, i don't think administrative professionals need specific certification. Most companies will focus on the skills and previous experience of the candidate, as well as educational background. I also suspect there are jobs that require a Bachelor degree, which i believe you already have. There are of course executive assistant "certification" courses available, but it's unknown how seriously companies take these certifications and most seem to be a waste of money in my opinion.

To know for sure what canadian employers are looking for, it's best to start browsing employment listings and see what is posted under specific job qualifications. I believe there is one called "canada job bank". I'm sure if you google it, the official website will pop up.

Boetie

Jan 19, 2013
I work in that field. It is not just a glorified admin, the position requires knowing legal procedures, compliance with various corporate and securities laws and other regulatory requirements, handling board meetings, drafting agreements I have known many lawyers for other countries who tried to qualify here and it is difficult and time consuming. Depending on the size of the company, Corporate (more American name) or Company (more British name) Secretaries are often lawyers, sometimes chartered accountants and sometimes paralegals. The training you have wouldn't be wasted as corporations are similar around the world but you would have to learn a lot about how things work here and that would probably require a paralegal course and several years in junior positions. Paralegal courses are one to three years depending on where you do it but if you are working in the field at another level, you can usually do the courses part-time. You can take the necessary courses and exams to qualify for securities and compliance work under the provincial securities organizations.

Pankaj777

Nov 18, 2017
I work in that field. It is not just a glorified admin, the position requires knowing legal procedures, compliance with various corporate and securities laws and other regulatory requirements, handling board meetings, drafting agreements I have known many lawyers for other countries who tried to qualify here and it is difficult and time consuming. Depending on the size of the company, Corporate (more American name) or Company (more British name) Secretaries are often lawyers, sometimes chartered accountants and sometimes paralegals. The training you have wouldn't be wasted as corporations are similar around the world but you would have to learn a lot about how things work here and that would probably require a paralegal course and several years in junior positions. Paralegal courses are one to three years depending on where you do it but if you are working in the field at another level, you can usually do the courses part-time. You can take the necessary courses and exams to qualify for securities and compliance work under the provincial securities organizations.
Could you please share the matching NOCs for the Company Secretary qualification ?

Anirudhkashi

Star Member
Jan 4, 2018
Hi all,

I am a graduate of Commerce, Company Secretary from the Institute of Company Secretaries of India and a Chartered Accountancy Final student from Institute of Chartered Accountants of India. My PR is under process, can anyone please tell me under what NOC can i look for a job?

Reactions: AVINAVSHARMA

Saurin19

May 9, 2018
I have completed my Company Secretary exams but i have not received Certificate of Membership. I have all the marksheets and passing certificate. But wes requires certificate of membership and marksheets.
Is it okay i only send my marksheets? Will my evaluation be done?

Sunil Mangla

Sep 19, 2018
Hi,

I am a graduate of Commerce and a Company Secretary passed from the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (having more than 2 year of experience). Currently working with Hero group of Companies.

I want to enroll in ICSA to get a company/chartered secretary job in canada. what is the procedure for that ? Please guide.

Name: Sunil Mangla
Email Id: sunilmanglapri@gmail.com

Thank you.

Prerna Mohan

Aug 1, 2020
Hi

I am a commerce graduate, qualified Company Secretary from Institute of Company Secretaries of India and a law graduate from Chaudhary Charan Singh University.
I have a working experience of more than 5 years.

I want to enroll in ICSA to get a Chartered secretary job in Canada. what is the procedure for that ? Please guide.

Jamunauthaya

Nov 25, 2020
Hi all,

I am a graduate of Commerce, Company Secretary from the Institute of Company Secretaries of India and a Chartered Accountancy Final student from Institute of Chartered Accountants of India. My PR is under process, can anyone please tell me under what NOC can i look for a job?
Hi for acs is membership certificate compulsory for wes evaluation

AVINAVSHARMA

Nov 20, 2021
Hi all,

Anirudh, please connect. Our qualification is exactly same. Need to know your experience in Canada. Please connect.