+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Commuting to US for work and Canadian Citizenship applicants

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Everyone,

i was wondering how you commute to the US daily. Are these border jobs or more city jobs in big cities like NYC?
Detroit is the biggest city people commute to. Although Detroit has a tech industry I wouldn’t compare the jobs to NYC jobs. Normally it is people with existing employers in the IS with offices in Detroit and they get transferred to those offices. They still have H1Bs.

justinline

May 19, 2009
Hi Everyone,

i was wondering how you commute to the US daily. Are these border jobs or more city jobs in big cities like NYC?
Lot of small cities are in play for Windsor residents, know people travel to Ann Arbor, Toledo.....of course Detroit. Have friend travels between Fort Erie and Rochester.
Knew a guy travel between Vancouver and Seattle alternate days. Have a colleague who travels between Winnipeg and Mid West, he comes one week a month. Even heard a guy travels between Greenbay and Saulte St Marie weekly. People are finding ways were ever possible.

dublin_gsw

Apr 21, 2021
When you say that.. any idea if its just about accuracy of travel days / days of absent OR It could also be about intent to stay etc? That said, I wasn't able to find a job which can pay up to 60% of my current salary and I would like to keep it this way as my family and kids love Canada. Thought of buying a house to build more ties but its not affordable at all.

I'm not sure they will understand all that and also little concerned if they will put us in tough spot by assuming the return to USA after citizenship.
Checking if you gave a US address you gave on I140/PERM while commuting? And How did it go?

Prabjot

Star Member
Dec 7, 2010
Checking if you gave a US address you gave on I140/PERM while commuting? And How did it go?
hey, I understand this question isn’t for me but sharing my experience of it helps.
I have been traveling to canada for alternative days since 2018. I completed my days in canada in 2020 and filed for citizenship. It was delayed due to COVID but I got my passport recently. I always used to mention my USA address while crossing the border. It depends officer to officer for specific questioning. After I got nexus the questioning got very less.
I had to submit my I 94 records for the five years during citizenship application. It was long record due to so many entries and FOIA took few months to send these to me.
so I would suggest to keep taking i94 print regularly as it won’t show more than 100 entries.
Let me know if you have additional questions. Happy to help.

dublin_gsw

Apr 21, 2021
hey, I understand this question isn’t for me but sharing my experience of it helps.
I have been traveling to canada for alternative days since 2018. I completed my days in canada in 2020 and filed for citizenship. It was delayed due to COVID but I got my passport recently. I always used to mention my USA address while crossing the border. It depends officer to officer for specific questioning. After I got nexus the questioning got very less.
I had to submit my I 94 records for the five years during citizenship application. It was long record due to so many entries and FOIA took few months to send these to me.
so I would suggest to keep taking i94 print regularly as it won’t show more than 100 entries.
Appreciate the reply, Are you travelling on US work visa? if yes, what address did you put on the US visa documents.

Prabjot

Star Member
Dec 7, 2010
Appreciate the reply, Are you travelling on US work visa? if yes, what address did you put on the US visa documents.
Yes I am on h1. I always mentioned that I live in the USA and gave USA address.
My husband and son used to live in canada before the pandemic so I used to say at border that I am visiting them. But later after they got their citizenship they also moved back to the states.

dublin_gsw

Apr 21, 2021
My husband and son used to live in canada before the pandemic so I used to say at border that I am visiting them. But later after they got their citizenship they also moved back to the states.
Thanks for the information.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
You should be giving your current residence address. Address on perm or 140 wont matter for anything.
gc is for foreigners hence many will be outside only. People who live outside US too get greencard before they even step into US. gc is not just for the people inside hence uscis wont be surprised and issue an rfe for it.

I always filed with Canadian address for labor, 140, irs, h1 extn while i was staying in windsor.
Giving US address while staying in Canada will/might give problem since you are lying about your residence and giving trouble for you, your company and the immigration team.

You should be asking these to your immigration team to get right advice rather than asking in the forum. These are employer sponsored hence all help can be resolved easily by asking them since they will advice correctly and legally. This is not like a canadian pr which you are doing on your own.

Last edited:

dublin_gsw

Apr 21, 2021
You should be giving your current residence address. Address on perm or 140 wont matter for anything.
gc is for foreigners hence many will be outside only. People who live outside US too get greencard before they even step into US. gc is not just for the people inside hence uscis wont be surprised and issue an rfe for it.

I always filed with Canadian address for labor, 140, irs, h1 extn while i was staying in windsor.
Giving US address while staying in Canada will/might give problem since you are lying about your residence and giving trouble for you, your company and the immigration team.

You should be asking these to your immigration team to get right advice rather than asking in the forum. These are employer sponsored hence all help can be resolved easily by asking them since they will advice correctly and legally. This is not like a canadian pr which you are doing on your own.
Thanks for the details. Appreciate it.

bluecheese123

Feb 24, 2021
hi @Prabjot , did you had to update I-9 at the employer after getting Canadian passport? I don't want to disclose newly obtained Canadian passport to the employer/immigration team if not needed - that should be fine, correct?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
FYI - Company lawyer recommended keeping US address on PERM and moving to US before filing for AOS
My colleague too was asked to move from windsor to detroit before filing 485. Its the best choice in dealing with wait time if any delay happens at 485 approval or visa number availability.

DreamCanadian

Star Member
Dec 5, 2018
Hi Prabjot,

Thanks for sharing the very imp info.

I have a question , After citizenship approval and before getting the canada passport, Did you used indian passport for daily commute, How does this work?