+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Commuting for PR

acher

Oct 25, 2007
I am about to recieve PR visa and I am USA PR at the same time. After landing I am planning to spend 3 days in USA 4 days in Canada per week, I have houses in both countries and jobs in both countries. Would it be a problem ?
And what will be my answer for the question on the boarder "Where do you live?"
Even if I will decide to quit my job in USA I still have to commute to US 2-3 tiomes a week, because my ex wife wouldn't allow me to take kids to Canada. Any ideas?

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
As long as you meet the minimum number of days in each country for PR, I don't think you'll have a problem. Make sure you keep track of the days you spend in each country.

At the border, be sure to tell the truth - that you live in both places.

I have no advice for your domestic issues.

acher

Oct 25, 2007
THank you, I think that I will have to tell them just one place where I live otherwise it will become too complicated. For instanse the car that I am driving must be registered and lisensed in the place where i live. Is it right?

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
No. If you are a permanent resident of both countries, you could register your car in either place.

But if I can make a suggestion, it would be to register your car in Canada, since Canada seems to require you to give up your U.S. license when you immigrate, but the U.S. doesn't seem to have the same requirement (as far as I know).

Still, when you cross the border, don't make up a story that you think they want to hear just so it's easy. Tell them the truth - that you have a home in both places and that you're meeting the requirements of residency in both.

acher

Oct 25, 2007
I spoke at the boarder with american officer and she told me that if I will have the car registered in Canada that meens that I give up my American residency and I am resident of Canada and certainly I don't want to do that. Are there any ways ty keep both cards?

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
I'm not sure the American border officer is telling you the truth. I don't believe there's a law that says if you register a car in a foreign country, you automatically give up your American permanent residency.

However, the way around it is to become a U.S. citizen. Then you can register your car in Canada and no one will be talking about taking away your rights to go to and/or work in the U.S.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
PMM said:
Hi

acher said:
You should note that Canadian PRs cannot drive a US registered car in Canada.

PMM
Actually, as I have found out Canadian Residents cannot drive a US registered car in Canada. One can conceivably hold a valid Canadian Permanent Resident status and be a resident of the US and then you should be able to legally drive a US registered car in Canada (I have entered Canada several times in the past year with a US registered car even though I am a landed Canadian Permanent Resident). Of course, you would need to keep your US driver's liscence and have a valid permanent US address. I am not sure how this would affect your Canadian residency status though in terms of spending the requisite number of days in Canada to maintain status.

ajain09

Nov 10, 2008
From my personal experience it is a problem to enter canada with US registered car eventhough you can be a Canada PR. You are supposed to import your US Registered Vehicle. It is illegal to drive a Foreign registered Vehicle owned by you to drive in Canada if you have Canada PR status with morethan certain number of days after landing. But this rule is ambigous and under the discretion of Canada Border security agency. You may be lucky if the CBSA officer allows your car at the border but you can be caught by a traffic police inside canada if you have Canada PR and landed morethan 2 or 3 months before and driving US registered Car.
The point is, Canadian Immigration authorities are tightening the system, they want potential immigrant to come, stay and spend money in canada.
I would recommend, donot just try to start the PR process and get the PR status unless if you dont have real intention to live in canada, You will end up spending a lot on these bureaucatic procedures.