+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-laws applying for PR?

ColorMePanda

Sep 12, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just want to compare and see what you all sent with your application.
I feel a bit inadequate since I know my partner and I don't have as much as others do (mostly financial proof) everything else we have but I hope the lack of alot of things financially won't prevent us from getting the application approved.

So can you list things that you included? Thanks.
Also, what office did you send yours to and have you been approved or denied?

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
ColorMePanda said:
I feel a bit inadequate since I know my partner and I don't have as much as others do (mostly financial proof) everything else we have but I hope the lack of alot of things financially won't prevent us from getting the application approved.

We're applying through London and have:

• Utility bills addressed to the both of us
  • Two rental contracts written in both our names
  • Thirty or so photos of us
  • Letters from her parents and two of her friends stating that our relationship is true and lasting
  • Receipts from trips taken together
  • Letters from both of us about the other party and why we want to spend our lives together
  • A crappy letter from our bank saying that I'm the secondary card holder of one of her credit cards

We haven't sent the application yet, but this is what it'll contain.

ColorMePanda

Sep 12, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Swede said:
ColorMePanda said:

We're applying through London and have:

• Utility bills addressed to the both of us
  • Two rental contracts written in both our names
  • Thirty or so photos of us
  • Letters from her parents and two of her friends stating that our relationship is true and lasting
  • Receipts from trips taken together
  • Letters from both of us about the other party and why we want to spend our lives together
  • A crappy letter from our bank saying that I'm the secondary card holder of one of her credit cards

We haven't sent the application yet, but this is what it'll contain.
You're lucky you have utility bills and rental contracts to include.
When my partner came down to live with me for 4 months we lived with my mom who obviously paid for everything.
I have been living with my partner up here for about 7 months now and live with his parents so we don't have anything to offer there either.
However, we did apply for a credit card and got approved so I will have a supplementary card and we are looking into him buying a cell phone and putting me on his plan as a shared plan so I am hoping this may be enough proof financially of us living together. I mean there is only so much I can do as a visitor since we can't get joint bank accounts. I am 19 and he just turned 20 so for our age we don't have the most to offer as far as financial things go.

However, we are going to include the following:
*Statutory declaration of common-law union
*2 statutory declarations one from his mom and one from mine saying that they have witnessed us living together in their homes for said about of time
*Emails, chatlogs, airline intineraries, and tickets to show travel together
*Photos from different events and descriptions on the back
*letters from friends and family
*birthday cards
*A 4-5 page printout describing the timeline of our whole relationship
*A letter from me describing everything I know about him
*A letter from the both of us describing our relationship with one another
And whatever else we have later on to include.

I am just hoping most of this will be enough. We will have hit the one year cohabitation on November 13th so we are still waiting on that.
But hopefully a few months afterwards we will be mailing the application off.

Do you think we have much to worry about since will have only been a common-law relationship the minimum requirement?

Oh and what office will you be processing in. Mine will be Buffalo since I am from the US.

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. You do not need the IMM5409 unless you have a co-signer and he/she is your common-law partner. I am aware some people have stated that they have included it but, I do not believe it will add any value to your application, if it did it would be requested for all applicants. This form is usually, for example, where you are sponsoring a parent etc.

Also, don't worry too much, we have been in a common law relationship for over three years and struggled to get all this stuff together purely because we hadn't thought about it. We sent only a couple of dual addressed items, plus photos, emails, cards and individual mail showing residence at the same address. We also sent 12 letters from family and friends and a page long letter each describing our relationship. It is an outland application so the sponsor did not submit option C but did supply UK earnings for 2008. The sponsor has been approved so I guess that section is ok. We are awaiting the "verification" of our common law status as determined by Canada at the moment but I don't think there is much to worry about. I think if you are genuine most people can translate that effectively.

OneLuckyCookie

Star Member
Jul 6, 2009
Hey Panda,
my bf and I included the following:
  • utility/mobile phone bills in my name to prove residence at the same address as my bf
  • about 20-30 photos
  • boarding passes
  • letters from our parents stating that our relationship is genuine and continuing
  • other proof that connects us (camping tags with both our names, memberships in clubs, etc.)
  • proof of joint account (I think)

Hope this helps! =)