+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law

nahum97

Dec 12, 2023
When should I declare common law relationship to gov. After completion of 1 year or the move in date. I haven’t declared common law in my pgwp application since we were only in common law relationship for 7 months now for pr I need to apply together as common law partner as we have completed more than 1 year. Is that okay?
And also should I inform cra also? Do ircc verify it with cra?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
When should I declare common law relationship to gov. After completion of 1 year or the move in date. I haven’t declared common law in my pgwp application since we were only in common law relationship for 7 months now for pr I need to apply together as common law partner as we have completed more than 1 year. Is that okay?
Yes you should advise CRA that you are now common law. It impacts your benefit calculations so you need to inform CRA. When you file your taxes you will file as common law and that can be used as proof of your status. If you landed on your PGWP before you lived together for one continuous year there was no need to advise IRCC of anything since you were not common law. You should provide proof that you have lived together for one continuous year by providing documents with your names, your address and the date. You should include documents from the start date of the one year period and throughout the one year until at least the end of 1 year if not longer. Things like a lease with both your names on it, bills with either of your names with your address and the date, if your employer offers an extended benefit plan proof that you have qualified and joined the plan, etc.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I for one can't make any sense of when you applied for what, let alone in relationship to your common law status - how do you expect anyone to answer?

When you apply for something: you are expected to be truthful about your family status. If you have an application that is being processed, there is language in there that says you should update if anythign in your family status changes.

And finally: what exactly applies when also relates to WHAT you are applying for. You keep posting in the family sponsorship section, when it's clear you have NOT applied under antyhing like family sponsorship. Post in the appropriate forum and ask there.