+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law

Stvnh1991

Dec 8, 2020
Hi guys,

Got myself into a bit of a pickle. So my before my open work permit expired (Oct 12th) I applied to extend my stay on September 1st with my intention to submit my common law visa afterwards. Took me a little longer to get my common law visa sent off as I was waiting on a police certificate from my home country of Ireland. Once I received that I sent my common law visa application in and it got to its destination on November 25th. I thought everything would've been fine as I was still on implied status but on Dec 3rd the extension I applied for was refused. Little confused on what I should do now. I haven't heard back from them saying they've received my common law application. Is restoration my only option? any help would be greatly appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys,

Got myself into a bit of a pickle. So my before my open work permit expired (Oct 12th) I applied to extend my stay on September 1st with my intention to submit my common law visa afterwards. Took me a little longer to get my common law visa sent off as I was waiting on a police certificate from my home country of Ireland. Once I received that I sent my common law visa application in and it got to its destination on November 25th. I thought everything would've been fine as I was still on implied status but on Dec 3rd the extension I applied for was refused. Little confused on what I should do now. I haven't heard back from them saying they've received my common law application. Is restoration my only option? any help would be greatly appreciated.
How did you apply to extend your stay?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys,

Yes, you'll want to apply to restore your status. Right now you are in Canada without status since your extension was refused and because your sponsorship application + OWP was submitted after your work permit expired. Unfortunately you've lost implied status.

You can technically wait in Canada without status. However then you'll most likely be waiting a lot longer for your OWP to be approved. Best move is to restore your status.

I assume you stopped working on October 12th when your OWP expired.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Applied for the extend or change conditions of your work permit online.
Do you mean that you applied to extend your OWP or that you applied to change your status to visitor?

What kind of OWP did you previously hold?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just to add to my post above... I am assuming that when you submitted the inland spousal sponsorship application you also submitted an open work permit application along with the same package.

Stvnh1991

Dec 8, 2020
Do you mean that you applied to extend your OWP or that you applied to change your status to visitor?

What kind of OWP did you previously hold?
Yes I applied to extend my OWP. Sorry my head is all over the place with this. Spoke with a lawyer beforehand and he said everything would be fine but clearly it wasn't the case. So back in 2018 I applied for my common law visa and I added an OWP along with the application. That was accepted in early 2019 but my common law was rejected. Didn't satisfy the officer that it was a legitimate relationship. Waiting a little bit longer gave us tones more evidence we could give applying for common law now.

When I did submit my common law for the second time I continually tried to link it to the extension I applied for online but they had no recognition of it. Also tried writing on the IRCC webform but they never reply to my query's.

Stvnh1991

Dec 8, 2020
Just to add to my post above... I am assuming that when you submitted the inland spousal sponsorship application you also submitted an open work permit application along with the same package.
Unfortunately the lawyer I was talking to said I didnt have to because I already submitted for an extension. :/

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes I applied to extend my OWP. Sorry my head is all over the place with this. Spoke with a lawyer beforehand and he said everything would be fine but clearly it wasn't the case. So back in 2018 I applied for my common law visa and I added an OWP along with the application. That was accepted in early 2019 but my common law was rejected. Didn't satisfy the officer that it was a legitimate relationship. Waiting a little bit longer gave us tones more evidence we could give applying for common law now.

When I did submit my common law for the second time I continually tried to link it to the extension I applied for online but they had no recognition of it. Also tried writing on the IRCC webform but they never reply to my query's.
The extension to your OWP was going to be refused. That was a given. There was never any chance this was going to be approved. Not sure why your lawyer said everything was going to be OK.

The way you should have played this was to change your status to visitor before your OWP expired. That would have kept you in status. Or alternatively, you should have submitted the spousal sponsorship application before your OWP expired. That would have worked too. The extension never had any chance of working.

Anyway, what's done is done. Assume you stopped working as soon as you were refused. If not, you need to stop immediately.

Submit the application to restore your status as soon as you can. They are taking a while to process these days.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately the lawyer I was talking to said I didnt have to because I already submitted for an extension. :/
This is way wrong. You need to find a new lawyer. Or just do it yourself.

Anyway, start by applying restoring your status. That's your next step.

It's going to be a while before you can work again unfortunately.

Stvnh1991

Dec 8, 2020
The extension to your OWP was going to be refused. That was a given. There was never any chance this was going to be approved. Not sure why your lawyer said everything was going to be OK.

The way you should have played this was to change your status to visitor before your OWP expired. That would have kept you in status. Or alternatively, you should have submitted the spousal sponsorship application before your OWP expired. That would have worked too. The extension never had any chance of working.

Anyway, what's done is done. Assume you stopped working as soon as you were refused. If not, you need to stop immediately.

Submit the application to restore your status as soon as you can. They are taking a while to process these days.
Damn, feel now he just wanted my money. I stopped working. I will be applying to restore my status but will my common law application still be processed?

Stvnh1991

Dec 8, 2020
This is way wrong. You need to find a new lawyer. Or just do it yourself.

Anyway, start by applying restoring your status. That's your next step.

It's going to be a while before you can work again unfortunately.
Thank you very much for your help. Really appreciate it :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Damn, feel now he just wanted my money. I stopped working. I will be applying to restore my status but will my common law application still be processed?
Yes, the common law application will still be processed.

Your lawyer lacks a basic understanding of immigration processes. None of us here are lawyers and we know these rules.

Ask for a refund.

Reactions: YVR123 and k.h.p.

Stvnh1991

Dec 8, 2020
Yes, the common law application will still be processed.

Your lawyer lacks a basic understanding of immigration processes. None of us here are lawyers and we know these rules.

Ask for a refund.
Definitely wont be using him again.