+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-Law

Bellawallace3

May 30, 2019
I received my passport request in May 2019.
After I sent my passport copies I realised that I have been in a common law relationship since October 2018 (living together in Canada but not sharing bank account). In the UK it is not normal to be considered common law after living with your partner for just one year.
My partner is currently waiting to apply through CEC but we have realised if she declares common law this could impact my application.
Am I best to declare common law in the landing interview? Or do I try and amend my application before the landing interview
Has anyone been in this position?
When I sent my passport I was unaware of common law and did not declare even when asked if my status had changed.

Thankyou.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
After I sent my passport copies I realised that I have been in a common law relationship since October 2018 (living together in Canada but not sharing bank account). In the UK it is not normal to be considered common law after living with your partner for just one year.
My partner is currently waiting to apply through CEC but we have realised if she declares common law this could impact my application.
Am I best to declare common law in the landing interview? Or do I try and amend my application before the landing interview
When I sent my passport I was unaware of common law and did not declare even when asked if my status had changed.

Thankyou.
You can't just declare your common-law relationship when landing. You will be refused landing. You must add your partner to your application. She must do a medical, submit PCCs, forms, docs etc. Expect this to delay your app 3-4 months.

If you became common-law after you applied, include her as accompanying and she will become a PR with you. If you become common-law BEFORE you applied, you need to make sure that your points would still be enough to qualify if your partner is included as accompanying. If your points are not enough, you would need to include her as non-accompanying and she would not become a PR with you.

Bellawallace3

May 30, 2019
You can't just declare your common-law relationship when landing. You will be refused landing. You must add your partner to your application. She must do a medical, submit PCCs, forms, docs etc. Expect this to delay your app 3-4 months.

If you became common-law after you applied, include her as accompanying and she will become a PR with you. If you become common-law BEFORE you applied, you need to make sure that your points would still be enough to qualify if your partner is included as accompanying. If your points are not enough, you would need to include her as non-accompanying and she would not become a PR with you.

I already sent my passport off and signed an Annex A stating that my marital status had not changed. I only realized afterwards that I was common law, can I still inform them? Thankyou

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I already sent my passport off and signed an Annex A stating that my marital status had not changed. I only realized afterwards that I was common law, can I still inform them? Thankyou
You MUST inform them. If you land without including your common-law partner, it is misrepresentation.

Bellawallace3

May 30, 2019
I will thankyou. Do you think my application will be rejected based on me not having done it when we became common law!

excoco

May 30, 2019

Thankyou.
I'm in the same position as you. I didn' aware of the common law until now.
Have you declared ur common-law relationship? How did you explain not declaring it when you became common-law?

Mirush1417

Jul 5, 2019
Hi, i have question..
What should we apply..
Before,she applied for working visa she declare me common lawpartner we are in same sex..then we shes in canada we broke up for almost a year.then she applied for pr and she did not declare me as her common law because we broke up.then when she had a vacation i did an effort to be with her again and then were together again but only 1 month she stay and she said to me that she did not declare me on her application and shes now a pr..she lived again and go back to canada.what are we going to apply if she want me to sponsor.??kindly please help..thankyou..please enlightened me

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, i have question..
What should we apply..
Before,she applied for working visa she declare me common lawpartner we are in same sex..then we shes in canada we broke up for almost a year.then she applied for pr and she did not declare me as her common law because we broke up.then when she had a vacation i did an effort to be with her again and then were together again but only 1 month she stay and she said to me that she did not declare me on her application and shes now a pr..she lived again and go back to canada.what are we going to apply if she want me to sponsor.??kindly please help..thankyou..please enlightened me
She cannot sponsor you at this time since you broke up after becoming common law. You must either get married or live together for a full year again in order for her to be able to sponsor you for PR.

Mirush1417

Jul 5, 2019
She cannot sponsor you at this time since you broke up after becoming common law. You must either get married or live together for a full year again in order for her to be able to sponsor you for PR.
How can we live together now?im in the philippines and shes in canada..and the same sex here in philippines is not legal to marry samesex

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How can we live together now?im in the philippines and shes in canada..and the same sex here in philippines is not legal to marry samesex
She is a citizen of the Philippines - so she could return to live with you there. You could also try applying for a TRV to come to Canada.

Reactions: Mirush1417

Khyati B

Nov 28, 2019

Its same with me. I am living in canada with my BF since last 4 years. we haven't aware with common law thing before. my BF just got an invitation for PR but while creating his profile we have selected his marital status as Single. Now we want me to put into his file as "common law" as the CRS cut off his really law so it won't effect to his score. will there be any problem just because we mentioned him as single before? we have all the proofs to prove our relationship as genuine.