+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-Law

elfut

Star Member
Jun 6, 2005
British Columbia
On IMM5002 on the applicant question 10 - provide the date on which you were married or entered into a common-law relationship

Are they asking the DATE where you are qualified to be a common-law after a year or the day you start to be a common-law?
It is quite confusing. Entered into a common-law... it sounded like the date where you first started to be a common-law before one year which would be qualified to be called a common-law...

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
It's the date you began living together - qualifying you as common-law partners. In other words, "enter the date you entered into your common-law relationship" . . . the beginning date of the common-law relationship (just like a wedding date would be the beginning of a marriage).

007skycanada

Jan 28, 2024
Hi All, I have a question. I want to sponsor my boyfriend who is living with me in Canada since 2022. He is currently studying and I am a PR holder. Please suggest what is the process to sponsor him. He got married but living separately for 6 years, not divorced on paper. No family or court issues. his wife has been estranged for 6 years. Is he eligible to be sponsored under common law in BC, Canada. Your guidance is highly appreciated.

sidhuripudaman

Star Member
Sep 4, 2019
Hi All, I have a question. I want to sponsor my boyfriend who is living with me in Canada since 2022. He is currently studying and I am a PR holder. Please suggest what is the process to sponsor him. He got married but living separately for 6 years, not divorced on paper. No family or court issues. his wife has been estranged for 6 years. Is he eligible to be sponsored under common law in BC, Canada. Your guidance is highly appreciated.
He should be, but him not being divorced makes it complicated. You haven't mentioned why did he not do that, if there is a very valid genuine reason you could mention it in a letter of explanation.

Reactions: 007skycanada

007skycanada

Jan 28, 2024
He should be, but him not being divorced makes it complicated. You haven't mentioned why did he not do that, if there is a very valid genuine reason you could mention it in a letter of explanation.
Hi , I was looking into your signature and see you recently applied for common law. Just wanted to check did you take help from any consultant or did it by yourself. We are just trying to know how to start with it,, so seeking your guidance starting from the scratch. Many thanks in advance.

sidhuripudaman

Star Member
Sep 4, 2019
Hi , I was looking into your signature and see you recently applied for common law. Just wanted to check did you take help from any consultant or did it by yourself. We are just trying to know how to start with it,, so seeking your guidance starting from the scratch. Many thanks in advance.
I did not use a consultant. It's pretty doable on your own. You could use YouTube videos as guidance from a channel called 'hit submit Canada'. But if you feel like the application is too confusing for you, you could go the consultant route as well. Like I said before I'm not sure how not being divorced will play into it, I would suggest getting a consultation from an immigration lawyer before you proceed, and then you could either apply yourself or with a consultant/lawyer.

007skycanada

Jan 28, 2024
I did not use a consultant. It's pretty doable on your own. You could use YouTube videos as guidance from a channel called 'hit submit Canada'. But if you feel like the application is too confusing for you, you could go the consultant route as well. Like I said before I'm not sure how not being divorced will play into it, I would suggest getting a consultation from an immigration lawyer before you proceed, and then you could either apply yourself or with a consultant/lawyer.
Thank you! In your case how did you show that you were in common law relationship like how do you prove it.. I have taken a condo ( on my name as I am on PR and his status is Study permit so he couldn't be added over there), the paper are on my name. utility bill is on my name. however, we live in same house ( address is same everywhere). I had him as my nominee in my office documents and had it updated as common law to CRA. I am trying to understand what sort of proff i can show in this situation.

sidhuripudaman

Star Member
Sep 4, 2019
Thank you! In your case how did you show that you were in common law relationship like how do you prove it.. I have taken a condo ( on my name as I am on PR and his status is Study permit so he couldn't be added over there), the paper are on my name. utility bill is on my name. however, we live in same house ( address is same everywhere). I had him as my nominee in my office documents and had it updated as common law to CRA. I am trying to understand what sort of proff i can show in this situation.
With limited proofs it's going to be tough. Me and my partner share a lease together, some bills are on my name and some on hers. We have a shared bank account, filled out declaration of common law, insurance beneficiary and other stuff to prove the same along with pictures letters from friends and family. Some utility bills could only have 1 name on them for those stuff we wrote a letter of explanation stating the reason and giving details about it. We also used out old licenses, bank statements CRA documents etc. you could follow the checklist to see what documents you would need.

007skycanada

Jan 28, 2024
With limited proofs it's going to be tough. Me and my partner share a lease together, some bills are on my name and some on hers. We have a shared bank account, filled out declaration of common law, insurance beneficiary and other stuff to prove the same along with pictures letters from friends and family. Some utility bills could only have 1 name on them for those stuff we wrote a letter of explanation stating the reason and giving details about it. We also used out old licenses, bank statements CRA documents etc. you could follow the checklist to see what documents you would need.
Appreciate your quick response. Can you please please share the link where i can find the checklist of documents.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
While it's technically permissible to apply as commmon law without being divorced, you can expect more scrutiny because of his still legally valid marriage. (Is there a reason he hasn't actually filed to get divorced?)

So points:
-it is quite important that you be able to show, with good evidence, a START date of residing together that is greater than one year from date of application. You can show whatever you have from before, even if circumstantial, and it will help - but make sure you have good evidence for that start date. To be clear, what I mean is that you can write whatever factual date you started residing together, but for your best, strongest evidence - you really want it to be more than 12 months old.

-I would STRONGLY suggest that your spouse take some official legal steps to get divorced - whatever those steps might be - and include copies and (he should) have a letter of explanation (short, factual) about why he hasn't yet so far and what steps he is taking to do it now and how long it might take.

This isnt' that unusual - there have been people here whose spouses have disappeared, live abroad, refuse to contact, whatever - there is a procedure (for which, if you can't figure it out, hire a lawyer) to notify and start the process. (And he should follow through - I understand it takes time and IRCC probably will too IF there's evidence it's in process).

Again - not technically required. But if any other part of your app is weak, they can delay things and/or actually decline if it's not convincing.