+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law travel

Thelazycouple

Nov 29, 2018
Hello i have a question regarding me and my Fiancé and our common law adventure. We will continue our common law sponsorship elsewhere and we will be going to korea for a vacation but we cannot stay together during that trip. Does this mean we cant continue our common law sponsorship?. Does it reset when we arent together for 2weeks? Also we wont have our own place 2weeks after the korea trip but will be staying with a friend totaling 4weeks with No proof of living together. Can we ask our friend to write a letter saying we stayed together at his place? What do we do?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
How long have you already been living together?

If you have only been living together for barely over a year, then a vacation where you aren’t together can raise questions.

If you have been living together for multiple years (3 years or more, I’d say) , then it shouldn’t be a huge issue.

So, it depends on the nature of your relationship and the officers discretion.

Thelazycouple

Nov 29, 2018
How long have you already been living together?

If you have only been living together for barely over a year, then a vacation where you aren’t together can raise questions.

If you have been living together for multiple years (3 years or more, I’d say) , then it shouldn’t be a huge issue.

So, it depends on the nature of your relationship and the officers discretion.
We have been living together for only 6 months. And the reason for us not being able to stay to together in korea is theres no room at her familys as it is quite small. Like not suitable for
If we need to we can just skip the korea trip and head to the elsewhere(as mentioned before). But there is still 2 weeks we have at our friends place is that still going to affect it?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
We have been living together for only 6 months. And the reason for us not being able to stay to together in korea is theres no room at her familys as it is quite small. Like not suitable for
If we need to we can just skip the korea trip and head to the elsewhere(as mentioned before). But there is still 2 weeks we have at our friends place is that still going to affect it?
If you've been living together for only six months, then how have you applied for common-law sponsorship? You don't qualify as common-law partners.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
OK I remember now, you want to apply in a few months.

No, in that case this can be a big deal for your application. You really do need to prove that you have been living in a marriage-like relationship for at least 12 consecutive months. You will not be eligible if you cannot prove this.

Thelazycouple

Nov 29, 2018
If you've been living together for only six months, then how have you applied for common-law sponsorship? You don't qualify as common-law partners.
We havent started the common law sponsorship yet. We are more leaning towards proof of us being together with this conversation ao we can start the process once we hit the time frame

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
We havent started the common law sponsorship yet. We are more leaning towards proof of us being together with this conversation ao we can start the process once we hit the time frame
See my post above. This will be an issue.

Thelazycouple

Nov 29, 2018
OK I remember now, you want to apply in a few months.

No, in that case this can be a big deal for your application. You really do need to prove that you have been living in a marriage-like relationship for at least 12 consecutive months. You will not be eligible if you cannot prove this.
So if we just go straight to the new home in Australia without skipping a beat (travelling without being together) this will be the best option?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
So if we just go straight to the new home in Australia without skipping a beat (travelling without being together) this will be the best option?
You will need to prove that you are living in a marriage-like relationship for 12 months. When a married couple travels, they usually travel and stay together. They also usually have the same permanent address.

As common-law partners, you can expect your application to be very carefully scrutinized. If there's anything that raises a red flag (such as periods of time where you aren't together), you will be denied.

You will be asked to provide proof like utility bills, mail that you've received at the same address, pictures, text conversations, emails, etc. etc.

So think about how you will prove the genuineness of your relationship to the IRCC. If you apply and say you've been living together for a year, but you don't have absolutely cast-iron proof that you have, in fact, been living together, you will be denied.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you and your common-law partner are crashing at various friends houses, you're going to have issues proving a common-law relationship. If you both are in a committed relationship and intend to be in a marriage-like relationship, I would encourage you to register a civil marriage (like at a city hall or courthouse) and then apply under that route instead of stringing together a long list of letters of support and hotel receipts to try to prove co-habitation.

juliakristof

May 5, 2017
You will need to prove that you are living in a marriage-like relationship for 12 months. When a married couple travels, they usually travel and stay together. They also usually have the same permanent address.

As common-law partners, you can expect your application to be very carefully scrutinized. If there's anything that raises a red flag (such as periods of time where you aren't together), you will be denied.

You will be asked to provide proof like utility bills, mail that you've received at the same address, pictures, text conversations, emails, etc. etc.

So think about how you will prove the genuineness of your relationship to the IRCC. If you apply and say you've been living together for a year, but you don't have absolutely cast-iron proof that you have, in fact, been living together, you will be denied.
If you and your common-law partner are crashing at various friends houses, you're going to have issues proving a common-law relationship. If you both are in a committed relationship and intend to be in a marriage-like relationship, I would encourage you to register a civil marriage (like at a city hall or courthouse) and then apply under that route instead of stringing together a long list of letters of support and hotel receipts to try to prove co-habitation.
I am about to sponsor my common law partner and we are in a similar situation. I flew to Belgium June 2018 and we traveled together by bicycle/slept in a tent until September. We have flight tickets, 4 letters from family confirming this, as well as 2 hotel receipts, several screenshots of instagram and facebook pictures with date stamps, and a few "warmshowers" reviews (it's like courchsurfing but for cyclists) also with date stamps. There was one week where we weren't together (I flew to Canada one week earlier than my partner because I wanted to see my mom before she left on her own trip, and my partner wanted some extra time with family to say goodbye). In September we flew to Canada and lived with my parents in Ontario until we found jobs (my partner is on a working holiday visa) and an apartment which we moved into in November. Therefore today marks our one year of living together and we are planning to apply next week. Any thoughts?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I am about to sponsor my common law partner and we are in a similar situation. I flew to Belgium June 2018 and we traveled together by bicycle/slept in a tent until September. We have flight tickets, 4 letters from family confirming this, as well as 2 hotel receipts, several screenshots of instagram and facebook pictures with date stamps, and a few "warmshowers" reviews (it's like courchsurfing but for cyclists) also with date stamps. There was one week where we weren't together (I flew to Canada one week earlier than my partner because I wanted to see my mom before she left on her own trip, and my partner wanted some extra time with family to say goodbye). In September we flew to Canada and lived with my parents in Ontario until we found jobs (my partner is on a working holiday visa) and an apartment which we moved into in November. Therefore today marks our one year of living together and we are planning to apply next week. Any thoughts?
Sounds OK. You should get your families to write letters corroborating the fact that you lived together in Canada, and add pictures of the two of you with your family here.

juliakristof

May 5, 2017
Sounds OK. You should get your families to write letters corroborating the fact that you lived together in Canada, and add pictures of the two of you with your family here.
I'm worried about the 3 month period between June and September 2018 where we didn't have a fixed address and traveled together by bike. I'm worried that they won't consider that "living together".

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I'm worried about the 3 month period between June and September 2018 where we didn't have a fixed address and traveled together by bike. I'm worried that they won't consider that "living together".
If you're concerned, why not wait three months before you apply? Is your partner's visa running out? S/he can switch to visitor status if that's needed.