+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law spouse application returned.

mf2040

Star Member
Apr 26, 2016
Hello,

This is a tiered question.

I submitted my application for sponsorship through common-law to obtain permanent residency.

For the birth certificate, I submitted a photocopy, along with a notarized translation to English. The translation was photocopied and had been done in 2011. Is that why it was rejected?

I (applicant) am currently working, and my current Post Graduate Work Permit expired after I sent my application (leaving me with an implied status). With the application being returned, and therefore not processed, am I not allowed to work anymore? Do I have to submit now an application to remain as a visitor while this is processed again? (I am still within the 90 days to extend my stay).

Thank you in advance for your responses. I am very confused and panicked.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

This is a tiered question.

I submitted my application for sponsorship through common-law to obtain permanent residency.

For the birth certificate, I submitted a photocopy, along with a notarized translation to English. The translation was photocopied and had been done in 2011. Is that why it was rejected?

I (applicant) am currently working, and my current Post Graduate Work Permit expired after I sent my application (leaving me with an implied status). With the application being returned, and therefore not processed, am I not allowed to work anymore? Do I have to submit now an application to remain as a visitor while this is processed again? (I am still within the 90 days to extend my stay).

Thank you in advance for your responses. I am very confused and panicked.
You're currently out of status and have to stop working immediately unfortunately. You'll need to apply to restore your status. You'll be able to work again once the OWP is approved.

Regarding the translation, are you certain it met all of the requirements?
  • the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation (see below for details); and
  • a certified copy of the original document.
  • Translators who are certified in Canada don’t need to supply an affidavit. A certified translator will provide both a certified translation and certified copies of the original documents.

Reactions: mf2040

mf2040

Star Member
Apr 26, 2016
You're currently out of status and have to stop working immediately unfortunately. You'll need to apply to restore your status. You'll be able to work again once the OWP is approved.

Regarding the translation, are you certain it met all of the requirements?
  • the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation (see below for details); and
  • a certified copy of the original document.
  • Translators who are certified in Canada don’t need to supply an affidavit. A certified translator will provide both a certified translation and certified copies of the original documents.
It was an English translation but I did not include a photocopy of the original document (without the translation I imagine). I also did not provide an affidavit.