+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law Spousal Application - Open Work Permit!

mylo92

Oct 9, 2018
I am currently living and working in Canada on a 2 year IEC Visa. My current visa expires mid November this year.

My girlfriend is going to sponsor me under common law as we have been together for 3 years and meet all of the requirements for common law.

We plan to submit our application from inside Canada and I want to apply for the open work permit so I can continue to work here whilst our application is being processed. Can I apply for this as soon as we have submitted the application and how long will this take to process? Also is it quicker to do this via CIC online or should we include this in our paper format application for sponsorship?

I am worried, as I said, my current visa expires in November. Can I remain here whilst waiting for the open work permit to be granted or will I have to leave the country and then return once the open work permit is granted?

Thanks in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will have to change your status to a visitor before your IEC expires. You can the stay but not work. It will take around 4 months to get the OWP with common law sponsorship as long as the application isn't returned. Doublecheck your app and make sure none of the forms have been updated.

mylo92

Oct 9, 2018
I understand that there is somewhat of a grey area around people going on to implied status during the time between the IEC visa finishing and the OWP being granted.

I have personally spoken to people who have been informed by CIC that they do in fact go onto implied status during this waiting time as long as they continue to work for the same employer. Can anyone shed any light on this? Pretty desperate to continue working for my current employee

mylo92

Oct 9, 2018
I have also seen people get their OWP within 6 weeks. Would it be any quicker for me to go outbound rather than inbound?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are on implied status but can't work. I suggested that you apply for visitor status just in case there is a problem with your application and you lose your implied status. Then you would e out of status.