+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law sponsorship

Jessy92

Nov 22, 2019
Hi everyone,

I entered canada on may 2017 as a refugee claimant . By that time i was still married . I had a negative hearing in 2018 but at the same time i was living with my partner from day 1 from entering Canada . We are considered common law since (same gender )2018 .The reason why i didn't apply for sponsorship was my ex and the custody thing. Now I'm divorced and have full custody of my kids .and finally applied for sponsorship(2019) .my question is
1- what are my chances to get the approval?

2- how the days calculator would work in my case ???

Thanks

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
When did you divorce? You couldn't be considered common law if you were still legally married to someone else.

Jessy92

Nov 22, 2019
From my knowledge you can be married to some one and a common law to another person.Especially that me and my ex are separated (3years) even before me coming to Canada .he lives outside Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
When did you divorce? You couldn't be considered common law if you were still legally married to someone else.
Incorrect. A person can become common-law with a partner while still legally married to someone else. IRCC recognizes that a divorce can take many years or be impossible to get (i.e. in the Philippines) and that people continue their lives in the meantime, which can include meeting a new partner.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,

I entered canada on may 2017 as a refugee claimant . By that time i was still married . I had a negative hearing in 2018 but at the same time i was living with my partner from day 1 from entering Canada . We are considered common law since (same gender )2018 .The reason why i didn't apply for sponsorship was my ex and the custody thing. Now I'm divorced and have full custody of my kids .and finally applied for sponsorship(2019) .my question is
1- what are my chances to get the approval?

2- how the days calculator would work in my case ???

Thanks
1. If you've been living together since day 1, when did you actually enter into a relationship with your partner? When did your marriage end? These are questions IRCC will ask. You will have extra scrutiny based on your situation. If the relationship is genuine and you have solid common-law proof, your chances are the same as anyone else.

2. What do you mean?

Jessy92

Nov 22, 2019
Incorrect. A person can become common-law with a partner while still legally married to someone else. IRCC recognizes that a divorce can take many years or be impossible to get (i.e. in the Philippines) and that people continue their lives in the meantime, which can include meeting a new partner.
Thanks for your reply

Jessy92

Nov 22, 2019
Thanks for your reply
1. If you've been living together since day 1, when did you actually enter into a relationship with your partner? When did your marriage end? These are questions IRCC will ask. You will have extra scrutiny based on your situation. If the relationship is genuine and you have solid common-law proof, your chances are the same as anyone else.

I know my partner long time ago but i used to live in other country.since I arrived to Canada (may 2017) we took the decision to live together and our relationship started. And yes our relationship is genuine
2. What do you mean?
I've been told since I got negative hearing ,the government would not take the period i stayed in Canada before applying the sponsorship application in consideration! Is that true

Jessy92

Nov 22, 2019
I have known my partner long time ago as a friend nothing more .but since I moved to canada may 2017 we decided to give our relationship a chance and everything went so great .our relationship is genuine. I was just worried because i felt its little bit complicated especially being married with kids.

2. What do you mean?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for your reply

I've been told since I got negative hearing ,the government would not take the period i stayed in Canada before applying the sponsorship application in consideration! Is that true
Again, for what? Are you talking about qualifying for citizenship in the future? You need to actually explain.