+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law Sponsorship

msbookworm88

Oct 19, 2019
Hello everyone! May I ask if it is possible to land in Canada as a tourist and extend my stay so may partner and I can meet the requirements for common-law sponsorship? My TRV is valid until next year and we are just planning to file for an extension. Any thoughts and inputs on this will be much, much appreciated. Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone! May I ask if it is possible to land in Canada as a tourist and extend my stay so may partner and I can meet the requirements for common-law sponsorship? My TRV is valid until next year and we are just planning to file for an extension. Any thoughts and inputs on this will be much, much appreciated. Thanks!
Yes you can do this as long as you can prove that you have the funds to support yourself without you working.

Reactions: msbookworm88

msbookworm88

Oct 19, 2019
Yes you can do this as long as you can prove that you have the funds to support yourself without you working.
Thank you very much! Visa is still valid until March 2020...do you think immigration will still ask proof of funds? Also, I have a 17-year old son who we intend to sponsor once I get successfully sponsored as a common law partner. Any challenges there?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you very much! Visa is still valid until March 2020...do you think immigration will still ask proof of funds? Also, I have a 17-year old son who we intend to sponsor once I get successfully sponsored as a common law partner. Any challenges there?
Yes, IRCC will certainly need to see proof of funds when you apply for an extension. The validity of your TRV is irrelevant.

Your son will need to be included in your sponsorship app. It is far simpler to just include him as accompanying and have him become a PR with you.

msbookworm88

Oct 19, 2019
Thank you!! any idea how long the process is for sponsorship of my son? he is turning 18 next year and by the looks of it, he will be 19 by the time we are able to file for our (me and him) sponsorship.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you!! any idea how long the process is for sponsorship of my son? he is turning 18 next year and by the looks of it, he will be 19 by the time we are able to file for our (me and him) sponsorship.
As I said, include him as accompanying and he will become a PR with you.