+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law sponsorship

Thelazycouple

Nov 29, 2018
Hello Everyone i have a question regarding common law sponsorship for me and my Fiancé we have been living together since oct2018 and are still living together so about 5months but we want to move to Australia and live together there. Can we still apply for common law and do a common law sponsorship in canada after we live in Australia for 1 year?? Also Can we apply for sponsorship while we are in Australia? Like once we hit the 1 year mark.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Yes, once you have lived together for 1 year (doesn't matter where, you just have to be living together), you can apply as a common-law spouse.

However, the sponsor has to be a Canadian citizen to sponsor from outside Canada. A Canadian Permanent Resident cannot sponsor their spouse if they are not themselves residing in Canada.

Thelazycouple

Nov 29, 2018
Yes, once you have lived together for 1 year (doesn't matter where, you just have to be living together), you can apply as a common-law spouse.

However, the sponsor has to be a Canadian citizen to sponsor from outside Canada. A Canadian Permanent Resident cannot sponsor their spouse if they are not themselves residing in Canada.
Oh wow thank you so much for your help. We have big plans for our lives with eachother and you have helped by relieving some of the worry and stress
Thank you so much

Kaypop

Jun 29, 2020
Hello everyone I have a question abot sponsoring common law? My story is my ex- wife sponsored me here and my daughter in Canada but during that time before coming to canada my wife found somebody in Canada and i found somebody also but she still sponsored me to Canada. I came to Canada 2009 but i have my common law 2006 and we have 3 kids year 2007, 2010,2012. Now i applied for them for common law and children sponsor.there is pilot project for those Family that was not declared that j can sponsor them now. My consultant also suggested that my common law and I get marry in HK and we did now my application is on process whats the probability that our application will be approved. Please some body can tell me

Kaypop

Jun 29, 2020
Also my wife divorced me here in Canada thats why me and my common law got married in HK for we cant marry in Philippines coz technically I am still married with my ex wife and its so expensive getting annulment. Its says in our application for my family in Philippines Does that mean i have a chance to bring them here. Please can somebody help me coz its so stressfull. Haist