WAIVED
Passport Req..
WAIVED
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-07-2015
SchnookoLoly said:
^ This is not correct. It doesn't matter whether the country you're in recognizes common-law... what matters is that Canada does. If they were living together as a couple, and OP's original post certainly says they were, then the partner is inadmissible as they were not declared when the other half became a Canadian PR. "Dating" still counts if you were living together and were in a conjugal relationship.

It's not a grey area at all. They were in a conjugal relationship, and they were living together for over a year, therefore in Canada's eyes they were a common-law partner and the partner needed to be declared.
Right off CIC's website for the definition of conjugal class:

A conjugal relationship is more than a physical relationship. It means you depend on each other, there is some permanence to the relationship, and there is the same level of commitment as a marriage or a common-law partnership.

I am using this because it clearly defines CIC's definition of conjugal. If at the time, they do not meet the "conjugal" aspect, then there is no problem. That is why I mentioned country recognizes common-law, because if they don't then the relationship at that point may not have been all that "committed"

Sheps

Apr 29, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M/CPC-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-02-2015
Doc's Request.
UPFRONT
Nomination.....
(Wife)
AOR Received.
08-04-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-01-2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
WAIVED
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-07-2015
Also: Same-Sex relationship, Phillipines, etc, etc, etc. This all means the relationship would be on the down-low and probably not fit the definition of "common-law" in CIC's eyes

OP-02 for more information: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf

Recognition of a common-law relationship
A common-law relationship is fact-based and exists from the day in which two individuals
demonstrate that the relationship exists on the basis of the facts. The onus is on the applicants to
prove that they are in a conjugal relationship and that they are cohabiting, having so cohabited for
a period of at least one year, when the application is received at CPC-M.

A common-law relationship is legally a de facto relationship, meaning that it must be established
in each individual case, on the facts. This is in contrast to a marriage, which is legally a de jure
relationship, meaning that it has been established in law.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Sheps said:
Right off CIC's website for the definition of conjugal class:

A conjugal relationship is more than a physical relationship. It means you depend on each other, there is some permanence to the relationship, and there is the same level of commitment as a marriage or a common-law partnership.

I am using this because it clearly defines CIC's definition of conjugal. If at the time, they do not meet the "conjugal" aspect, then there is no problem. That is why I mentioned country recognizes common-law, because if they don't then the relationship at that point may not have been all that "committed"
In the case of declaring partners and them being excluded from family class if they were not declared, CIC would be looking for 1 thing and 1 thing only:
- if they were bf/gf (or bf/bf or gf/gf) and lived together 1 yr, they are classified as common-law. End of story. There is no grey area here whatsoever no matter how you interpret the manuals.

So the only possible way they can proceed with sponsorship now under family class (by getting married or establishing new common-law), would be to not disclose the time cohabiting in the past by using an alternate address for that time (the whole issue of if this is misrepresentation is another issue). The instant CIC learns of 1 yr of previous cohabitation before landing as PR, the app will be rejected as not eligible under family class. In these cases CIC makes the assumption of being conjugal partners, and you would need to go through years of appeals to challenge it and most likely it would still end in refusal, as per the numerous similar historical cases.

SchnookoLoly

Champion Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
24 Apr 2012
Passport Req..
26 Jun 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21 Aug 2012
LANDED..........
08 Dec 2012
Just to play devil's advocate, let's say that Sheps is correct.

In that case, the two would need to qualify as common-law AFTER the guy landed... and it sounds like they have not lived together since he landed in Canada. So that would disqualify them from qualifying as common-law partners anyway.

Sheps

Apr 29, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M/CPC-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-02-2015
Doc's Request.
UPFRONT
Nomination.....
(Wife)
AOR Received.
08-04-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-01-2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
WAIVED
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-07-2015
Living together is not the only factor in determining common law. If you actually look at the court cases where common-law has been determined, there is a large number of them that have inter-dependency formed (joint accounts, paying rent together, etc, etc, etc). This may not be the case here. The best thing to do would be for them to determine if there is an actual common-law relationship here, and given the Philippines view on homosexuality I would imagine there are not enough elements here to form that (as they would lead to persecution in the Philippines).

SchnookoLoly

Champion Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
24 Apr 2012
Passport Req..
26 Jun 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21 Aug 2012
LANDED..........
08 Dec 2012
The defining feature of common-law relationships is 12 months of cohabitation.

If they are not able to live together in the Philippines then they need to be looking at conjugal and not as common-law.

The point still stands as Rob_TO said... if they were in a relationship and living together for at least 12 months when the Canadian PR landed, then there is the possibility of misrepresentation for not declaring a common-law partner.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Sheps said:
Living together is not the only factor in determining common law.
It is when CIC is looking at banning someone from family class for not being declared.

Can you actually find any court cases where CIC rejected someone for not being declared, then the applicant was successful in getting that ruling overturned by convincing the courts they were boyfriend/girlfriend only and not truly a common-law couple even though they had lived together 1 year? I highly doubt such a case exists, but would be interested to see if one actually did.

Remember the burden of proof is completely different depending if you are trying to prove common-law to qualify for family class, vs if CIC is accusing you of being previously common-law and not declaring your partner. In the former ample proofs of cohabitation and joint lives are paramount, where in the latter CIC makes the presumption based simply on your address history.

Sheps

Apr 29, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M/CPC-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-02-2015
Doc's Request.
UPFRONT
Nomination.....
(Wife)
AOR Received.
08-04-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-01-2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
WAIVED
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-07-2015
There is one, it is Mao v. Canada, it is not exactly on point as the person was only there for a certain number of days per week. Since you gave me this mission, I found one: Aguas v Canada, in which two people were living together "each day", however they were perceived by society (including the family they lived with) as just dating.

Counsel for the respondent submitted that the appeal should be dismissed because even though they did not have a separate common residence, the applicant stated at the visa office interview that they were together every night since 2006. Counsel argued that there was no evidence to support that the applicant was nervous at the interview or that the visa officer was asking leading questions. Counsel submitted that the appellant was attempting to make a false distinction by now stressing the lack of indicia of a common law relationship.

I find the indicia of common law and conjugal relationships are in essence very similar with the exception of the requirement for cohabitation that exists in a common law relationship. It is reasonable to conclude that the appellant and applicant were in a close personal and sexual relationship during the period in question. However, I find that the weight of the evidence does not support that there was cohabitation as required by the Regulations. While the appellant and applicant may have slept at each others’ family homes and spent most if not all of their free time together, this does not reach the level of cohabitation: they were not societally perceived as being in a marriage like relationship, they did not share economic support, there were no shared services, they did not share a common residence, there were no common assets.

I find on a balance of probabilities that the appellant and applicant were not in a common law relationship as defined in subsection 1(1) of the Regulations and that the applicant was not a family member as defined in subsection 1(3) of the Regulations. Accordingly, paragraph 117(9)(d) of the Regulations does not apply. The appeal is allowed.
Walia v. Canada defined Cohabitation for Misrepresentation and it was referred to in Jorgbo v. Canada when granting that couple judiciary relief.

Le v Canada is another case where common-law was brought into the equation. In that decision the panel allowed the appeal based on the following factors: shelter, sexual and personal behaviour, services, social activities, economic support, children, societal perception. The reason for their decision based on cohabitation was as follows:
Viewing the evidence as a whole, the panel finds that from 1992 to 1994, the Appellant and Applicant were not in a common-law or conjugal relationship. Their relationship during that time period lacked the requisite qualities of permanence, mutual commitment and interdependence. According to the testimony, they never moved into one household to cohabit together. There is no evidence of financial support or financial interdependence between 1992 and 1994. Although it may be the case that their parents accepted their relationship, there is no evidence that their families and friends elevated the relationship to a common-law or conjugal relationship. The Appellant’s commitment to the Applicant was uncertain at the time he left Vietnam in 1994. The Appellant found out about the pregnancy several months after he landed in Canada, and the child was born after the Appellant landed; hence, there is no evidence on their attitude and conduct towards children from 1992 to 1994. While they had a serious and intimate relationship that resulted in a pregnancy, the relationship from 1992 to 1994 stopped short of being a conjugal or common-law relationship.
As you can see, this relationship in which they lived together even resulted in pregnancy and a child.

Somar v Canada, included much of the same (including a pregnancy)

Parsons v. Canada, they "stayed with each other every day" to the point of using the same address, however made some submission to immigration which caused an officer to address a letter to her regarding her relationship in 2004:
The letter from Nathan Haley, Immigration Officer, indicates that the appellant presented to him the applicant as her boyfriend in August 11, 2004 and that he assessed “that the relationship that existed between her and her boyfriend could be considered a common-law relationship”. I give this letter little weight with respect to a positive finding that they were in a common-law relationship as it is not clear from this letter what facts against what factors led this officer to determine that their relationship was that of common-law. However, I give the letter weight for a finding that the appellant characterized the applicant as her boyfriend back in August 2004. I note that the officer works for Citizenship and Immigration and opinioned “that [the appellant] has always been very forthright and has not knowingly tried to deceive myself or this department.”
It appears they were fairly involved:
The appellant testified that she was not romantically involved with anyone else from 1999 to 2003. She indicated that to her knowledge the applicant was not with anyone else during this period.
The appellant testified that they were not financially interdependent but that the applicant was in a better position and helped her out. I note that the appellant was a single mother living as a refugee in Sierra Leone. She earned money by making and selling cloth. The UN also helped her. The appellant testified that when she left for Canada she did not have a plan regarding them and thought that one day she was going to go back to visit.
The appellant was formally introduced to his family for customary reasons, which I find is understandable as they were living in the same area and she was staying at his place where family would be there. She said there was no exchange of kola nuts. I give more weight to the appellant’s testimony that the applicant met her mother in February 2009, who has been in Liberia, just some months before they got married in May 2009 and that her mom visited Sierra Leone for the wedding.
I give some weight to Debbie Turnbull’s letter dated November 16, 2010 as she has known the appellant since 2004. She is a Social Services professional and is thus disinterested to some extent. Ms. Turnbull indicates that the appellant “consistently described Johannas to [her] as her boyfriend.” Her lengthy letter sets out details such as the applicant “had been a father figure to her son” and “that while they did not live together they did spend time staying at each others home.”
I note that the applicant was not called to testify by teleconference. Minister’s counsel asked that I draw an adverse inference. I note the applicant was examined in a substantial interview by the visa post. Appellant’s counsel initially indicated that the applicant would be called and that they had phone cards. While we were not required to do so given that the onus rests with the appellant, I note that neither Minster’s counsel nor the Panel asked to hear from the applicant. In the case at bar, the testimony of the appellant was sufficient to persuade me that they were not common-law partners. Therefore, the Panel finds that the appellant’s evidence was sufficient to discharge her onus in this appeal.
While the evidence points to them being in a serious girlfriend-boyfriend relationship, the evidence is insufficient to support a conclusion that they were in a common-law relationship as understood in IRPA. I accept her testimony that in hopes of bringing the applicant to Canada she characterized their relationship as common-law and one in which they were cohabitating without fully understanding what they mean in Canadian immigration law. The appellant stated that she did not know what a common-law relationship is until she was in Canada and spoke with others and that the phrase was, therefore, not well understood by her. It is reasonable that living in Canada as she has now for the past number of years could make her more familiar with this concept as understood in Canadian immigration law.
On a balance of probabilities the Panel, especially given the nature of their relationship, their ages at the time she applied for permanent residence, their separate residences, their lack of future plans when she left for Canada and the lack of shared responsibilities for the appellant’s son, finds that the appellant and the applicant were not living together in a conjugal relationship for one year at the time she applied for permanent residence and became a permanent resident.
Liu v. Canada discusses an affair in which CIC attempted to define as a conjugal relationship:
In her submissions, counsel for the Respondent set out the indicia for a conjugal relationship, which originated in the Ontario District Court judgment in Molodowich v. Penttinen[4] and was cited by the Supreme Court of Canada in M. v. H.[5] These criteria have been used by the IAD in assessing conjugal relationships and are as follows:
Shelter: Did the parties live under the same roof? What were the sleeping arrangements? Did anyone else occupy or share the available accommodation?
The parties lived together “on and off” in 1997/1998. The Appellant paid for a residence for the Applicant and their son. They cohabited for periods when the Appellant returned to India.
Sexual and Personal Behavior: Did the parties have sexual relations? If not, why not? Did they maintain an attitude of fidelity to each other? What were their feelings toward each other? Did they communicate on a personal level? Did they eat their meals together? What, if anything, did they do to assist each other with problems or during illness? Did they buy gifts for each other on special occasions?
Services: What was the conduct and habit of the parties in relation to preparation of meals, washing and mending clothes, shopping, household maintenance and any other domestic services?
Many of the aspects under this category were not brought out directly in evidence, or where only hinted at. There is little question that the Appellant and the Applicant had a sexual relationship, their son is proof of that. As well, they evidently, at least during the 1997 to 1998 period, cohabited for periods. The relationship cannot be said to be mutually exclusive, as the Appellant remained married and continued to reside at least part of the time with his wife and at one point, was trying to repair his marriage. However, both testified that they continued to have a physical relationship until the Appellant migrated to Canada.
Social/Societal: Did they participate together or separately in neighbourhood and community activities? What was the relationship and conduct of each of them towards members of their respective families and how did those families behave towards the parties? What was the attitude and conduct of the community towards each of them and as a couple?
The Applicant began using the Appellant’s name in 1997. Her family did not approve of the relationship at this point. The Appellant testified that her family has now accepted him and their marriage and the Applicant testified that her elder sister came to their wedding.
Support (Economic): What were the financial arrangements between the parties regarding the provision of or contribution towards the necessaries of life (food, clothing, shelter, recreation, etc.)? What were the arrangements concerning the acquisition and ownership of property? Was there any special financial arrangement between them which both agreed would be determinant of their overall relationship?
All the evidence suggests that the Appellant has consistently provided financial support to the Applicant and their son. He testified that he gave her money before he went to Canada.
Children: What was the attitude and conduct of the parties concerning children?

The Appellant and Applicant have a child, born July 27, 1999. The Appellant has been continuously involved in his son’s life and his consistently provided financial support for him. He testified that he took him to the doctor when necessary and saw him “every day”.
Given that, and in the absence of evidence that the Appellant had cut the Applicant out of his life completely in order to reconcile with his wife, it is difficult to deny that the couple were in a conjugal relationship in 2000. At that point they had co-habited for periods of time, were financially involved, by both of their admissions continued to have a physical relationship, the Applicant was using the Appellant’s last name and most importantly, they had had a child together.
The panel finds that the Appellant and the Applicant were in a conjugal relationship as of 1997 and that this has continued until 2002 when the Appellant departed for Canada, when, given their physical separation and the Appellant’s alleged attempts, and certainly brief attempt to repair his marriage, it could be argued that there was a break at this point. According to their own evidence, their relationship resumed at some point after that. The Appellant initially testified that he resumed his contact with the Applicant in 2006, and then changed his testimony to 2003. The Applicant indicated in her questionnaire that they cohabited in 2003. The evidence is consistent that by 2006, at the latest, their relationship had resumed. They have formalized their relationship by marrying in 2011.

The most amazing part of this is this final sentance in the summary of decision:

[24] The Appellant and Applicant became conjugal partners in 1997. This relationship continued until 2002, when the Appellant migrated to Canada. It resumed, at the very latest, in 2006.

[25] The fact that the Appellant did not list the Applicant as a family member in his application for permanent residence made in the year 2000 has no bearing on the outcome of this appeal. The Appellant is required to list family members on an application for permanent residence. The definition of “family member” does not include conjugal partners

As same-sex relationships are not permitted in the Phillippines, and common-law same-sex relationships are not recognized there, one could make the argument that this is a conjugal relationship and they are therefore not excluded by R117(9)(d) because they are not technically "family".

Basically, it all depends on the level of "living together" that they did.

As for the other's which dismiss appears, they do mention all those forms of proof, and the result was that since they had that proof at the time, they were in fact common-law. (Examples include proposing before leaving to land as a PR, pledges of support, children together, love letters from the time, admitted in sworn affidavits, had a religious marriage)(Adjewiyi-lambe v. Canada, Olivier v. Canada, Surpris v. Canada, N'Diaye v. Canada,Tano v. Canada,Brayko v. Canada)

TLDR; my head hurts

SchnookoLoly

Champion Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
24 Apr 2012
Passport Req..
26 Jun 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21 Aug 2012
LANDED..........
08 Dec 2012
Aguas v Canada - they were not living together, by their own admission, therefore they were not common law partners. Not the same thing.

Le v Canada - same thing. They even testified that they did not move into one household together, therefore they are not common-law partners.

Parsons v Canada - same thing. They were not living together.

Liu v Canada - completely different situation.

Canada will evaluate the relationship based on their definition of common-law. If the two of them were in a relationship and living together at a permanent address and not maintaining any other residence, then CIC will deem them to have been common-law partners, particularly if their relationship was conjugal during that time. The fact that the Philippines "does not recognize" same-sex unions (whether common-law or married) is, in this case, irrelevant. If they wanted to apply as conjugal because they could not live together and could not get married then that would be different, but clearly they were able to live together and thus qualify as common-law partners under Canada's definition.

It's the same as if you said something like a religious ceremony performed in x country is recognized as legally married in that particular country, but if Canada does not recognize that ceremony as a legitimate marriage, then the couple are not married in the eyes of CIC.

The OP needed to declare their common-law partner when they landed. That was not done.

Eight

Star Member
Jun 28, 2015
Sheps said:
This is one of those grey area's I think...

Are you actually common-law?
- Were you in a marriage like relationship when you were co-habitating or were you boyfriend and girlfriend?
- Did you have joint finances?
- Were you in a country that recognizes common-law?
- Did you consider yourself "dating" at the time or "married/partnered"?

Before he became PR, we lived together for more than years. But the problem was he didn't declare me on his application. Because, on that time we don't have any proof of cohabitating and he doesn't want the process of his paper to be delayed. We are in the country where same sex marriage doesnt recognize.

Eight

Star Member
Jun 28, 2015
DanSlh said:
Better to say you have friends in Canada.
Having a relationship with someone inside inside the country is a tie with Canada.

The problem is he declared me in his Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) as his common-law partner just this March 2015 and also in his Social Security.

Eight

Star Member
Jun 28, 2015
SchnookoLoly said:
^ This is not correct. It doesn't matter whether the country you're in recognizes common-law... what matters is that Canada does. If they were living together as a couple, and OP's original post certainly says they were, then the partner is inadmissible as they were not declared when the other half became a Canadian PR. "Dating" still counts if you were living together and were in a conjugal relationship.

It's not a grey area at all. They were in a conjugal relationship, and they were living together for over a year, therefore in Canada's eyes they were a common-law partner and the partner needed to be declared.
Thank you Schnookololy.

Since my partner didn't declare me in his PR application and I believe there would be a 100% refusal if we lodged our paper under family sponsorship, our plan is to get there as visitor visa and to get married. My question is what would be the perfect relationship with him? friend or boyfriend? Hope you can help us. My application is ready to file at VAC.Appreciate any advice.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Sheps said:
As same-sex relationships are not permitted in the Phillippines, and common-law same-sex relationships are not recognized there, one could make the argument that this is a conjugal relationship and they are therefore not excluded by R117(9)(d) because they are not technically "family".
One could argue, but one would not be successful. Whether common-law or same-sex marriages are recognized in any given country, is completely irrelevant to Canada's definition of meeting the definition of common-law.

In all the cases you presented (which I have to add you did a commendable job in researching and presenting!!), the key is if the couple was truly "cohabiting", or in other words had both completely moved in under 1 home with no other residences. In most of your cases this was not the case, in that 1 of the parties maintained another residence elsewhere, and merely stayed over at the "shared" home to make it seem like it was practically common-law. However by maintaining a separate address, this may not be defined as true cohabitation.

Basically, it all depends on the level of "living together" that they did.
Exactly, and this is the main point. If a couple actually lives in the same home, and has no other primary residence elsewhere, then there is no question that they are cohabiting. And if a couple is cohabiting for 1 yr, to any visa officer there app will be rejected based solely on that. If not a 100% chance then it would be a 99.99999% chance.
Of course after rejection they can then go to appeals, where deeper issues of if it was really cohabitation can be examined. However in the vast, vast majority of cases even the appeals are rejected, and in the few that are not that you identified, the reason is due to the definition of cohabitation. Once cohabitation is determined, any appeal is rejected. The chance of a successful appeal perhaps does exist but is very small, and is not a path anyone wants to go down due to the stress, time and lawyer fees it would cost.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Eight said:
Thank you Schnookololy.

Since my partner didn't declare me in his PR application and I believe there would be a 100% refusal if we lodged our paper under family sponsorship, our plan is to get there as visitor visa and to get married. My question is what would be the perfect relationship with him? friend or boyfriend? Hope you can help us. My application is ready to file at VAC.Appreciate any advice.
I don't quite think you understand this rule. By not declaring you, you are banned forever under family class. It doesn't matter if you reach 1 yr of cohabitation again to become common-law, or if you get married. You would still be banned due to not being declared initially. Even after getting married you would have no rights to live permanently in Canada, ever. The only way would be to find a way to immigrate independently (i.e. as a skilled worker).

As I said, the ONLY way to not be banned and proceed with family class sponsorship after marriage, would be if you didn't mention the cohabitation before his landing and used alternate addresses on your application going back to that time period. Of course already changing CRA status complicates the situation even more so, even beyond the potential fraud/misrepresentation issue of fudging old address info.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Eight said:
Since, my partner committed misrepresentation that he didn't declare me as his common-law partner for some reasons, our plan now is to get there as visitor and get married. Can I put on my forms that he is my close friend? Another problem is he delared me on his CRA and also in his SocialSecurity. Can these affect my application as TRV? Appreciate your advice. Thanks.
Listen to what people are telling you.

If your partner failed to declare you as his common-law partner when he landed, (if you were living together, or had lived together previously, for 1 full year or more) getting married will NOT correct that mistake. You can NEVER be sponsored by him...even if you get married.

You will only make matters worse if now YOU decide to misrepresent yourself by declaring him as your `close friend'. Don't go down that road...because it's bound to be a dead end!